“Lovely Stay at the Acacia”

Acacia Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 20 March 2012

After traveling around the island we spent our last 2 nights at the Acacia. The hotel itself is beautiful and the staff very warm, friendly, and helpful. Our room was clean and had a ocean view with a balcony that was very nice. We also enjoyed the large hot tob/mini pool outside on the second floor of the building. Note it is luke warm, which is really nice when it can be so hot outside.

I would give it a complete 5 points but for us it was a bit far from Old San Juan. We had already spent a week at the beach in other parts of the island so we were not drawn to the beach close to the hotel. It is a public beach with volleyball, swimming, ect, but also very crowded compared to the beaches around the island. Fof this reason we spent most of our time in Old San Juan which is AMAZING but a 15 minute drive away. Supposedly there is a bus that runs their easily, but we were very happy to have a car to make the trip there and back. Next point is parking is an extra fee and a must if you have a car. We parked illegally for 10 minutes outside the hotel and recieved a $250 parking ticket, FYI.

Bottom line is the hotel and building are incredible and location is great if you want to be close to the beach and in a more local neighborhood. If your primary focus for being in San Juan is the old town, I would try to stay closer to old town.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian P

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I booked this place for two or maybe three reasons. It was a small boutique hotel, looked quaint, some good reviews and you could walk to the beach. The outside was just as I imagined and how it looked in pictures. At first I didn't know how to get in and someone standing outside informed us that you had to ring the buzzer. When you walk in the lounge area had a modern yet tropical feeling with all of the big plants I wanted to take home with me and put in my living room. loud. We were quickly greeted by the concierge and apparently the operations manager whom everyone talks about here. I booked back in February of 2011- yes, it took me an entire year to write this review, but better now than never. Chad was just wonderful, always asking us if we needed anything whenever we would see him, but not overbearing. He really made us feel at home. Our room was very comfortable, clean and we had a nice view of the ocean and beach from our window. Make sure to check out the lovely jacuzzi, the top notch regular mojitos or the coconut mojitos made by Donna which are phenomenal. You MUST eat chef Christian's wonderful creations in Niche. My favorites were the mussels which were like butter, duck confit tacos, whole red snapper and ceviche. The front desk gave us restaurants to check out that were more high end, but not too expensive ans all of them were excellent. We asked about zip lining, and other tourists attractions and they were always so helpful. This place was more relaxing than I expected. Everyone made us feel relaxed and comfortable- service was great! Thank you Chad and all the staff for making our stay at your lovely hotel worthwhile. What a charming place to stay...

Room Tip: Arrange your parking well in advance..there are very limited parking spots down the streets in their...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank BlueDonut42
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I visit PR 2-3 times a year and as a creature of habit, I go for my creature comforts and stay in the same hotel. I have a greeat experience there, most of the time and little to few complaints. i decide to expand my horizons and stay in a different area-more of a neighborhood, but still having great access to restaurants, nightlife and of course, the beach.
I booked a stay at The Acacia and, frankly, I am not looking back. This fab,stylish,sweet and most inportantly well run hotel is now the only place i want to stay.
Chad, The GM, went out of his way to accomodate me and the staff is truly on point. Susanna, Ari, Hector and Josean made me feel like I wa at home from the time I arrived and I was actually sad to leave. The view from my amazing room with the wrap around balcony, the quality of care and service i recieved and a restaurant, Noche, that was beyond excellent...even for this Jaded New York Gal.
I will be booking my next vist soon and THIS IS THE PLACE!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank NYCRevie
Reviewed 9 March 2012

When I made the reservation I was well aware that they have a difficult parking situation. I was not aware of how frustrating it would be to park in the area. I would not stay here unless you have your parking figured out in advance, or if you don't mind heavy traffic and aimless searching. The guy at the check-in desk told us we could park illegally on the street (tickets are rare, he said, but we didn't want to risk it) or find a paid lot which he thought would be about $5. We drove around in horrible traffic for about an hour and found no lots that accepted overnight parking, except for other hotels which were terribly expensive. We ended up parking at the Radisson and walking about 15 minutes to the hotel.
Our room was nice - no complaints there. By the time we parked and checked in, the weather had become cool and very windy with light rain so we lost our opportunity to enjoy the beach (I can't blame them for the weather, but it added to the frustration and disappointment). We decided to enjoy the hot tub, which was the thing that was our main attraction to the hotel in the first place. It was not hot - warm enough to sit in, but definitely not hot. I felt like the attitude of the hotel was a bit stuffy - maybe it's just the customers they attract, but it wasn't quite our flavor. For the sake of simplicity, I wish I had just stayed at the Radisson, despite my initial determination not to visit any chains on the vacation.

Room Tip: We got one of the cheaper rooms without a view. If a view is important to you, ask about it in adva...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A M
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The Acacia Hotel is charming, comfortable & friendly. The entire staff at Acacia couldn't be nicer or do more to make your stay with them perfect. I highly recommend the hotel when staying in the San Juan area. I was in PR on business & the hotel provided a quiet restful atmosphere to unwind at the end of the day.
Peter H

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2012

A perfect, intimate boutique hotel 30 seconds from the beach in a quaint part of San Juan. The hotel is friendly, clean, a Gem!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andre A
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Great choice of hotel. My sister had a wedding and her and fiancé checked out few places to suggest. 5 or 6 couples / singles stayed here. We had 6 nights, greeted by Suzanna and shown around, so we knew lay of the hotel. Rooms were large enough and comfortable. Walk- in large shower. Nice to have assortment of beach chairs provided. Beach towels provided. Perfect sandy beach with fun to play in ocean waves. Separate entrance when we came from beach, and used shower to remove sand on feet. Spent lots of time in large jacuzzi, with family members and friends: perfect temperature. Front desk always got us taxi service within 5-10 minutes. We also took bus into Old San Juan about 2 blocks away (#21 & 53). Convenient location. On last day with 11am checkout, we left bags, stayed at beach, and used shower on 4th floor before heading to airport. We highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room 207, 208 and 307&308 have best view of ocean. They are also in front of or above jacuzzi po...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family