See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here back in Nov 2011. Nice location lots of eatery. The only complaint is that the room key locked me out at 8;00am and chck out time is 11or12am. I had to ask to be let back in. they have a good hot breakfast, internet access. Close to the port if cruising, Over all it was a good and clean place to stay.

Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Nancy S
Reviewed June 27, 2009

The sheets were paper-thin, filthy, stank like sweat, and had semen stains on them. The whole room was filthy, sticky, gritty with sand, had trash on the floor, and dead roaches by the overfilowing traxh can. The bathroom stank like excrement and urine, and the two paper-thin towels were dirty and also stank like sweat. Almost-cold water barely flowed from the shower head. Stinking, rotting trash bulged from a trashcan in the hall, which smelled like it contained a dead animal. Since I was relegated to the tiny, falling-apart building in the back of the main one, I cannot judge how the guests in the main building fared out. The lock in the gate of my building was broken, and could not be opened or locked, which posed a security issue for a woman alone. The security guard could not fix it, so he placed a piece of electrical tape over the key hole, to keep the lock from engaing and jamming shut together. I complained and the young female clerk called the manager, who refused to come over or have the lock fixed. I asked for a refund, so I could go elsewhere, and was refused. I called the police, and the female officer who came instructed to security guy to fix the lock. He could not. The police officer asked that I be given a room in the sister hotel, one block from the the rat hole where I was having such a difficult time. There were no rooms at the sister hotel, which is a hotel for gay men. So I had to spend the night at the Embassy Guest House--scariest, worst night of my life as a traveller. The "free full breakfast" was at the gay men's hotel, and there I was treated like a starving thief about to steal the cheap food. The crabby old woman at the register was watchful and sullen, and refused to acknowledge my greeting. The young woman clerk at the Embassy Guest House said that she wanted to quit, because the owner routinely disrespected her and she was scared of him, yet could not because her mother is sick with cancer and she has to help pay the mother's bills. The happiest moment of my stay at this filthy, stinking, roach-infested "hotel" was when I left it. DO NOT STAY AT THE EMBASSY GUEST HOUSE!!!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank moonflowers
Reviewed August 24, 2006

The Embassy Guest House is the worst hotel in San Juan. The area smell like urine, I feel like vomiting each time I leave the motel. Let me get started: The room carpet in the room I was staying is so dirty, I dont know how long it has been cleaned. The television is 13 inches, very old. The bathroom has a old antique shower head, no tub. The only thing that was good in that room was the cold AC. The area is mostly homosexuals, men are kissing men in the streets. If you have small children, bring a blind fold. The gay people did not mind me as much as the nasty smell in the street. San Juan is such a beautiful place to have this bad hotel right in the middle of many beautiful hotels, stores and restaurants. I think the owner for this motel needs to redo the whole place, do some updatings, paint the walls, change that dirty carpet, those old tiles in the other rooms, change those ugly curtains and the those ugly looking paintings on the wall. Those paintings are very depressing. I think to charge $69 a night is a crime and it should be illegal. There is no phone in the rooms for emergency, no clock, no iron, no blow dryer, no shampoo, no lotion. If you are planning to visit San Juan, and trying to stay at that motel to save money, work for two more weeks, save a little more money and go elsewhere. The atlantic is also the same owner, do go there either.
The staff is very unfriendly, they only care about making money, not the guests.

The word customer service does not exist in that place. I cannot believe this motel is still in business. They ought to shup that place down. I think one star is too high for that hotel. If I had other option, I would give Embassy Guest House, a Big fat 0.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Purewoman
Reviewed July 22, 2006

I must say I was a bit dissapointed, the rooms were clean but the bedspreads and sheets looked like they had seen better days, the sheets and pillow cases were very very thin, the bedspreads had lost there color from so much use. Nancy told me that there was a fridge in the room and a microwave in the hallway and yes there was a microwave in the hallway in the other building across the street where I did not have access to,

they said the pool closed at 6:00 pm but every day it was closed at 4:00, this is ridiculous. In the morning you would have to go to a hotel around the block to get your continental breakfast and it wasn't a buffet, you had to order it and sit down and wait, same with the ice, and you were't allowed to fill a small cooler. There is no parking but street parking and the 4 nights I spent there I had to go and pay parking at Walgreens because every night there would be busted windows in the cars, you have to wait in the morning until an employee comes to get your breakfast voucher because they will not give you all the days in advance so if you needed to leave early you had to go without breakfast.. I most definetly will not stay there again, your better off paying a few extra bucks and staying at a nicer place. One more thing, the second night I was there I told the desk clerk that the light bulb was out in my lamp and I left and it was never replaced.

• Check-in / front desk
3  Thank mothervivian4
Reviewed May 2, 2006

We stayed at the Embassy Guest house, even after reading some "shaky" review prior to our depature, and was pleasantly surprised. The exterior of the building is nothing to rave about, but our room was great. Double bed (which was a blessing in disguise for how much my now X girlfriend and I fought), nice tile, great cleaning ladies. No safe though. That would be my one complaint. Security made us feel good, as the hotel/motel has double entry. EGH has a pool too, which overlooks the beach, for those days that you want all the benefits of the beach, without the sand. All in all, it was great. It is NOT a Hyatt or Marriott, etc., but we wanted comfortable economy, and we got it.

Date of stay: April 2006