“Great service in an Historic Hotel”

Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
MD
“Great service in an Historic Hotel”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was worried about staying at this Hotel because of some earlier reviews.Luis Garzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas, told me not to worry.
The Hotel Plaza De Armas is in a great location. It is convenient to all areas of Old San Juan. The Trolley stops a half block away. Taxi cabs are available out front. It is a short walk to Cafeteria Mallorca for breakfast (mallorca con mantequilla) or to church around the corner.
We chose Hotel Plaza De Armas because of price and location. We chose not to have a refrigerator or a balcony. You shouldn't complain if you chose not to get these items and didn't get them for free.
The rooms were pretty basic. They were clean and comfortable enough. The bathroom was clean and there was abundant hot water. Everything appeared to work.
There were no bugs.
The front desk staff was charming and very helpful. They appear to be very honest and hard working people trained in hotel service. They do not perform miracles.
They watched our luggage for us and gave us whatever advice we requested.
There is a restaurant at the front of the hotel.
The elevator is slow and only holds 4 people or 1,200 pounds. We were happy that there was an elevator. Historic hotels don't always have elevators.
If you want more amenities, go somewhere else and pay for them.
Luis Garzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas, was right. He made sure that we didn't have to worry. He was the most charming and helpful person in the city.
Thankyou Luis.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write a review about our property Hotel Plaza De Armas.

I'm glad that you enjoy your stay with us and I invite you to come again and have new great experiences with us.

We are making major improvement in our physical plant and in our services as well.

We want everybody knows that you can feel the same way as you did in your last visit and that old situations in the hotel are matters of the past.

It has been a great pleasure to served you and I will do it again...

Please come back again..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was the worst hotel experience my husband and I have ever had. The check-in took an inordinate amount of time; they said someone would help me with my bags while my husband went to park the car - no one ever came. We dropped our stuff in the room quickly because we wanted to explore the Fortress, did not return until much later, exhausted. It wasn't until we returned that we realized we were in a room that must have been used for prostitution - since I found a half-empty liquor bottle, price tag for negligee, disposable razor in the bathroom.....Not to mention no phone, no remote. My husband was already asleep when I discovered all of this, so we stayed the night. What they called a "balcony" was just a metal rail outside the windows. The Plaza below was noisy all night and the trash removal truck came at 4:00 am with VERY LOUD commotion. When I told the front desk the next day what the situation was, they said "You weren't supposed to have that room" - that was it. I called Howard Johnson corporate when I returned to US Mainland and filed a complaint, but never got a response. It was disgusting.

Room Tip: I always ask to see the room before we check in when I am in a "foreign" place - I just di...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frombrooklyn

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Pros: Service was good. The people at the desk were friendly.

Cons: Old building. Elevator is 1,000 years old and honestly takes 15 minutes to go up and down. Plumbing was horrible. Hot water worked but very slow. Our room was like a dungeon. There were no windows and we overslept the 1st night we got there. Also no refridgerator. Would not go there again nor would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
We are a 1900 building in the middle of a 500 hundred year city.. We have the best location of all property of our category.

The elevator is not a appropriate for the kind of building we have and we are one of a few
hotel in Old San Juan that has elevator. It Just take a minutes and a half to make the four floor but because is small it can not carry to much people and luggage at the same time. Besides that it can not be faster because the vibration of the elevator motor can cause damage to this protected historical building. We have suites with window, balcony and refrigerator at a fraction of the price of other facility nearby.

We invite you to come again and experience the new way to have fun in Old San Juan.
Please contact me personally..
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Terrible, terrible hotel. Dark, windowless rooms with very noisy air conditioners. Broken toilets, shower doors that do not close completely. Unhelpful and rude reception staff who lack the basic skills on how to deal with customers.

The only thing going for the hotel is the location by Plaza de Armas but Old San Juan is small and you are better off staying in other hotels.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rajkumar J
Holly Springs, Nc
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The hotel is located in an excellent area in the Old San Juan. The house is a very old structrure, very clean. We stayed in room 304 because we wanted a balcony. The room was very comfortable, enough space for my boyfriend & me. I only stay for one night, but next time I visit the area will definitelly stay longer. The price was right and if you compare it with other others in the area is exellent!. We didn't use the restaurant, since there were plenty of alternative around the hotel. In front of the hotel there is plaza with kiosk, taxi stop, a pharmacy and even a Marshall (just in case you forgot something at home). If you are taking a cruise from San Juan, this is a perfect hotel for before or after your cruise. The staff is not very friendly but we really didn't need anything from them. I think if you are looking for a luxury hotel and you are willing to pay the price for it, them you can stay in a different one. Old San Juan is a very old city and the structures are 100 of years old, you should not expect the same as when you visit Spain or any old country. My boyfriend and I felt very safe as we walked from shop to shop. Fabulous time!

Room Tip: Remember is a very old structure, so be prepare to small space! Just enjoy it, after all you will...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Crestline, California
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The benefit of this hotel is its location. You can walk to every restaurant, attraction, etc. Yes, it is an old building (no windows) and the elevator is slow but to me, that's what gives this hotel some character. It is not the typical fancy building most people are used to. I would definitely stay there again. The people were friendly and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathy H
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, 21 December 2011
Thanks for taking the time out of your tight schedule to complete a review here. We always try that your experience with us is more than satisfying. Our goal always is to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve and to exceed your expectations and make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Your sincere feedback is very important and valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. That is why your comment is properly addressed by our administration staff.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Please when calling for your next reservation, please ask for me and I will personally assist you.
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I have read many reviews about this hotel before deciding to stay here for one night before the cruise. The hotel is in a central location in old San Juan, I know I shouldn't expect much based on other reviews, but it was worse than I expected. There was no wait to check-in since we were the only guests in the lobby. The elevator didn't work, we had to drag our luggages all the way up four floors! The ice machine also didn't work. The front desk staff didn't seem to care, she was on the phone for a very very long time. If you have to stay in old San Juan, this hotel has the best location, be prepared to walk up and down the stairs, I have the impression that the elevator doesn;t work most of the time! The restaurant in the hotel( actually doesn't belong to the hotel) is about the only good thing beside the location of this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple