“An Average Tour”

Legends of Puerto Rico
Ranked #40 of 127 Tours in San Juan
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Puerto Rican licensed tour guides with a sense of humor. Since the year 2000 we design and guide history, scenic drives, forests and food tours in Old San Juan and Puerto Rico. Our rum food tour consists of meals served in a typical Puerto Rican household. Journey into Spanish Colonial times with our most popular & longest running NIGHT walking tours in Old San Juan. Pioneer in wheelchair-friendly architectural history morning walking tour. Travel journalists, agents and TV producers ask us about facts and tips on how to have fun in Puerto Rico and highlight our tours.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada
312 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 389 helpful votes
“An Average Tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

As a professional tour guide myself, I felt that the Legends of San Juan day tour, with guide Debbie Ramos was an average tour. There were some good aspects about the tour, and some not-so-good aspects.

Debbie promptly started the tour at 10:00 am, after telling my group of 6 that two other couples had yet to show (she did try to get in touch with them at that time). And while she was friendly and pleasant towards us, she exhibited a very different behavior when the two other couples showed up late (within about 10 minutes). She was none-to-welcoming, nor friendly, when she rudely informed each couple that they were late, and then basically ignored each couple. I understand that she has a schedule to stick to, and a responsibility to my party of 6 to run the tour, but I personally would have handled the late arrivals in a much more friendly and professional way. What I'm saying is that if you want a pleasant experience, make sure you arrive early for the tour, otherwise, perhaps consider forgetting about the tour entirely.

The first half of the 2-hour tour was spent inside and around the Cathedral. And while Debbie offered some interesting insight - she is incredibly knowledgeable - the company's website made it seem that the tour featured a number of different sites (including "world heritage sites", which we interpreted to include El Morro and Fuerte San Cristobal), instead of focusing so much on just the Cathedral.

The second half of the tour was comprised of visiting the Gate of San Juan (an interesting area), the Museum Casa Blanca, and a few other sites, which received only a fraction of the attention that the Cathedral received at the beginning.

As I said earlier, Debbie is very knowledgeable about the area's history and takes pride in Puerto Rico. However, she has something of an obsession with photographing people. At first, it was nice when she offered to take a photo (or two) of our entire group - something that can be challenging while travelling. Unfortunately, after a while, it became (to some members of my group) a real annoyance, the frequency with which Debbie would continue to want our group to pose and take photos. It felt like the focus of the second half of the tour was to simply take group photos. She would take us somewhere just to take a photo - and some of the places were not even photographically interesting.

Lastly, as the tour was coming to a close, the guide raced us towards the Plaza de Armas and in the process, lost the two other groups among the crowds and side streets. When she realized that the other couples had not kept up, she simply shrugged it off without apparent interest or concern. While this was fine for my group (we had a pleasant enough experience keeping up with Debbie), I couldn't help but consider things from a professional tour guide's perspective... you have to keep track of your tour participants!

Overall, Debbie, you do a good job! But there's always room for a little improvement. Best Regards for 2013!

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Keith-B-Robinson
Legendsofpr, Tour Guide at Legends of Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Hello Mr. Keith B Robinson:

Thank you for acknowledging on your review that I meet you on time, I was courteous, I answered the questions, I provided just enough information, I took pictures and the tour route was mostly entertaining.

Thank you Trip TripAdvisor's readers for reading my reply to a review written by the professional tour guide Mr. Robinson.

Rude to late arrivals
When I asked to wait for the late arrivals your father seriously and quickly replied: "No. Lets start the tour". I requested the tour voucher or evidence of payment to the first couple that arrived 5 minutes late. I DID NOT tell them they were late. I continue providing information to your family of 6 while the couple looked for the electronic voucher on their Iphone. The second couple arrived when we were inside the cathedral. I quickly press the re-dial on my phone, they answered and I was able to confirm they were the couple I was waiting to join us. I DID NOT tell them they late either. I continue providing information while confirming there ID. Why stop a tour when I can do two things at the same time?

Ignoring the late arrivals:
I acknowledged every person on the tour. I did continue providing information at the same time I checked the E-Vouchers. Your family of 6 was always in front and blocking the other 4 tour participants that arrived late. If you remember, I talked and walked backwards during most of the tour, so I can keep eye contact with the tour participants. In addition, looking at every person I always asked if they can hear me - (including the travelers YOU CLAIMED I was rude to and ignored).

30 minutes at the Cathedral -
Perhaps by integrating the information the two couples missed at the beginning of the tour gave you the impression I focused too much on the Cathedral. I do care that every tour participants receives the same information and understands. I also provided time to take pictures on your own. The tour at Museum Casa Blanca was 20 minutes and I provided historical facts in between sites.

Word Heritage Sites -
The Wall (San Juan Gate) and Governors Mansion are 2 of the 4 World Heritage Sites. Read the Legends of San Juan Tour FAQ question # 8. It clearly indicates the forts are not included and why. Although we do not enter the Forts, I did show how the military lifestyle influenced the city's construction and culture with old dated pictures, facts and narrated battles.

Pictures -
You and another traveler had two expensive cameras indicating that you like to take pictures; therefore, I pointed out some places (that you personally dislike, but liked by many including the 4 travelers YOU CLAIMED I ignored). In addition, the other 4 people wanted to take pictures at the visited sites. The ladies strongly said yes when I offered to take pictures with there IPHONE. I even gave some tips to the gentlemen with the other expensive camera and he said to liked the results. As I mentioned before, I always acknowledge every person on a tour; therefore, I asked everyone who wants me to take there pictures with there camera, even if they dislike been photographed, like yourself.

Race to Plaza de Armas -
I always tell the tour participants which will be the next site and topic. I clearly informed that we will walk down hill to Plaza de Armas where the tour ends. This was the only time I did not provided information in between sites; perhaps, that could be the reason why the reviewer felt he was "racing" down the hill.

"Lost two other members"-
The supposed "lost two other members" where in front of the line when walking down the hill. The lady happily said "A Coach store!" I reply "The tour will end at the next stop where I say good-bye to the group". She said her good-byes and went shopping; therefore, I DID NOT loss track of the participants NOR simply shrugged it off without apparent interest or concern as THE REVIEWER described.

Finally, thank you for your review Mr. Robinson.

Annapolis, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“A quick intro to San Juan, and a very good one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We met Debbie and the rest of tourists in front of the San Juan Cathedral - a rather unimpressive structure which is saved by the romantic history as told by Debbie, the tour guide. The cathedral itself was quite unassuming, but I did find it interesting that Ponce de Leon is buried inside. There weren't very many of us, so touring was quite easy. The only thing we found off-putting was that seemingly everything was under construction. But, I do realize that some sacrifices need to be agreed on in order to better our surroundings. Future travelers - find out when something is under construction and how long it's going to be like that. Then see if that's important to you and plan accordingly.

We visited the brightly decorated streets of San Juan, as well as the old gates that are the entrance to the city. We were shown various places and history behind them, so the tour was quite interesting. Debbie even stayed a bit longer to recommend places to eat to so many varying appetites.

Speaking of Debbie, she was very knowledgeable, energetic, and seemed like an Alpha female, one who is proud of her heritage and her island. This pride is a good thing - everyone should be proud of where they come from (except maybe for a few drastic examples). Many tour guides, having done the job professionally for years, learn how to hide their feelings on many different topics (religion, politics, different nationalities, and such). It is when they think they have mastered this that they acquire some arrogance. I wished she stayed away from some topics (regardless of how innocent they may have seemed), as this put somewhat of a bitter taste in my mouth. Apart from this, Debbie did a great job during the tour. Recommended!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank TravelinSonja
Legendsofpr, Owner at Legends of Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you sharing your touring experiences, recommending the tour and for tagging your tour picture at the 2012 Legends of San Juan tour album on facebook.

We asked the reviewer thru Tripadvisor message center what did Debbie said “that put somewhat of a bitter taste in my mouth.” The reviewer did not response to our question; however, we thank the reviewer for pointing that out to us as we continue to move forward providing the best possible service to our customers.

As for your observation that Debbie “acquire some arrogance” during her many years working as a tour guide; we are required, as licensed tour guides, to study Puerto Rican History in order ensure that our tour is historically accurate. For the past 13 years in business, our tours are based on documented facts. Debbie is very passionate and animated when narrating the history and she forwards her apologies for any misunderstanding that made you uncomfortable.

Thank you for reading, and we kindly request that you read other reviews posted as a descriptive reference of how we have guided our many tours throughout the years. See more reviews posted at our Legends of Puerto Rico website and our Facebook page.
florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Debbie never showed up”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

My husband and I were on a cruise, first time to Puerto Rico. I thought the night walking tour would be something different and interesting to do. (It was a toss up between El Yunque and this tour not enough time for both.) I booked online and got charged immediately. Well, we got to the location 30 min prior to departure time, Debbie never showed up! We called her 5 min after departure time and she answered and said that she cancelled our tour because we were the only ones who booked. We never received an email or call stating this trip was cancelled!!! She even admitted that nobody ever sent out that info. She said she would reimburse us "now". If she cancelled this trip prior, why are you waiting til after the fact to refund us??? I asked her if the refund was going to be like the cancelled trip email we never received, she said she was doing it now. I just wonder if we didn't call would we have gotten our money back? This doesn't seem to be good business practices! We are very disappointed and will never use or recommend her service! Wish we would have gone with another company!

Visited December 2012
4 Thank isismommy
Legendsofpr, Tour Guide at Legends of Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
I am.answering your review because you titled the review with my name. I was off for a week and assigned to answer phones the night you called. We have several tour guides. If the tour would have been offered another tour guide would have guided you; therefore, the title review should have said "Tour guide never showed up".

This is the first time in 12 years in business that a cancellation notification was not send on time. In regards if you would have gotten our money back; yes you would have. Legends of Puerto Rico always refunded for all cancellations made by the company. I forward your message to administration on the night of the tour and they have made the corrections. Once again it was the only calendar mistake in 12 years.

White Plains, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Debbie is amazing!! Great night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

The tour was so much better than any of the reviews I read. Going at night is really scenic and you won't sweat too much or burn in the hot sun. Debbie took us on a quick paced tour of forts, historical buildings and side streets all while narrating the scenes of the past. She really brings the city alive. I highly recommend this tour. Annnnnd, there was traffic on the day of my tour and she told my taxi driver which streets to avoid and the best corner to drop me off at.

Visited November 2012
Legendsofpr, Tour Guide at Legends of Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Saludos Jill L!

Thank you for posting a review the following day you took our specialized tour at the Fortress City of Puerto Rico. We truly appreciate you shared your touring experience with Trip Advisor readers.

The tour pictures are posted at the 2012 Night Tales in Old San Juan tour album on facebook.

Happy Holidays,

Austin, Texas
“Step back in time & relive the tales of Old San Juan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Amazing first experience in Old San Juan thanks to Debbie & Legends of Puerto Rico! Debbie brought the city and it's vibrant history to life as we followed in the footsteps of Juan Ponce de Leon, Christopher Columbus, & other assorted modern day tv & film stars. Highly recommended!

Visited August 2012
Legendsofpr, Tour Guide at Legends of Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Kerstin W

You should have seen my smile when I read the title of your review. It clearly describes my goal when I designed and guided the Night Tales in Old San Juan tour. I also thank you for accepting my friend request and sharing your tour picture.on facebook.

Keep smiling my new Texan friend. Your friendly tour guide. Debbie Molina Ramos