“Nice Stay”

Courtyard San Juan Miramar
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We purchased this room by bidding on Priceline. Once I began to read the reviews I was a little nervous as its non-refundable. We figured we would make the best of it, and I am really glad I didn’t pay attention to some of the reviews I read.

It is a business district, so in the evening, it is very quiet, being from NYC this is not intimidating to me, but I could see how that would be to some people.

The Hotel is set up with a very nice lobby and two restaurants, one that is rated among the top ten restaurants on the island! There is also a Gym and a Laundry room as well as a business center that offers free internet and printers.

The room was very large and clean and we had no complaints, it was serviced regularly. The pool does get sun, and yes it is in the afternoon, but once it gets there, its decent sun. People need to remember this is a Hotel, not a resort, when you go the Caribbean, that does make a difference. I didn’t feel that there was a lot of noise as some people mentioned.

I will mention there was a great deal of cruise passengers on the weekend, and I am sorry to say that the group that was at our hotel was not at all behaved, and they really let their teenagers run amuck! I am not knocking cruisers, we take many cruises ourselves, but this large group was very rude and inconsiderate to other guests, and it struck me funny that most of the negative reviews, or complaints come from the cruise passengers.

We rented a car and we found it very convenient to be so close to the highway to get around. There is a bus stop on the corner and the bus will take you to Old San Juan for 75 cents and it’s about a 10 minute ride. We felt safe taking the bus, and on the day we went in there were quite a few tourist’s that were on the bus as well.

For what we needed we were pleased, we got away for a great deal. The room was clean, and all the employees were really very nice and made our stay enjoyable.

It’s a Hotel, not a resort, if you can remember that you will have no issues. If you want a resort and a fancy pool, etc. then maybe think twice before coming here. If you want great accommodation’s for a great price then you will be satisfied. We would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: When you check in be sure you do not get a connecting room, they are smaller then regular rooms and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FJS0974
There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Juan Miramar

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We were in San Juan for a few days and wanted to stay in different locations. So we used a reward certificate to stay at the Courtyard Mirimar. I'll admit the location is a little grimy. Its in a business district. But inside the hotel it was just fine.Very clean and the rooms were a nice size for two doubles. We are a family of 5 & we were just fine. We enjoyed the pool and a restaurant not far from the hotel(2 blocks)l. The staff recommended and it was great food .I walked around with ease during the day & night. Nobody bothers you. Overall a good spot based on other prices in San Juan ,

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for things to do in the city. The staff were excellent. Very friendly & help...
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Marriott's usually provide a consistent level of service and accomodation. This one disappointed.

While the website advertised self parking on property - you have to put up with and pay for ($15 per day) for valet parking. And they double charged several parties including us for parking, which was slowing down checkout.

They added a fee ($10.35) to our bill for a "hotel Tarriff". As far as we could see it was only added for Priceline customers, so it can be negotiated off the bill if you stick to your guns. The charge does not appear on the website.

The building and rooms are truly wierd. The bathroom is built is such a way that the toilet seat will not stay up. I guess women may appreciate that. But figuring out how to flush the toilet is a real challenge, you have to get down on your knees and search. The shower curtain was not quite long enough, so there was no way to avoid a puddle on the bathroom floor. The bed was slanted, and very soft. There is only one elevator to serve about 10 floors. We were lucky to be on the second floor and could walk. But watch your head, the passageway won't accomodate a 6 foot person at some points. (In any real emergency, people are going to get hurt.) And, the pool is on the North or West side of the building, so it does not get sun most of the day.

The area is a business area, definitely not a resort/vacation/beach/tourist area. That said, you can reach Old San Juan, or the Condado beaches in a short time. There are 2 or 3 decent restaurants in the neighborhood, plus 2 in the hotel. Allow 45-60 minutes for breakfast - they only cook one order at a time.

The service staff was the redeeming point - quite up to Marriott standards. Too bad they are stuck with so little to work with.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd or 3rd floor and use the stairs. The one elevator is frequently full and you may hav...
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The hotel needs an update and wireless internet. The staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about it area. The price was OK and the location was close to a couple of good restraints and a grocery store. I would not choose this hotel for a two night stay, but if you just need a room pre cruise, then this is the place.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The hotel is in an OK location but I wouldn’t walk to far from the hotel after dark. It just didn’t look and feel safe. There were street people and drunks less than two blocks from the hotel begging for money and drinking openly in broad day light. There were police patrolling in the area and when they were around it felt safer.

The hotel only has valet parking that costs $15 a night and no self parking was offered. I ask for other parking options and was told I could park on the street but may not be safe and secure for the car. The hotel allowed the car to be checked in and out as many times I wanted and there were no problems with car damage or wait time.

The restaurant was OK and the pool was OK.

The hotel room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The room had free internet. We upgraded to an executive room and was not worth the money because the front desk put us in Room 901 that was next to the elevator. When ask at check-in if the room was next to the elevator, we were told by the front desk person it was next to the elevator but we wouldn’t be bothered with elevator noise. But we did hear the elevator all the time we were in the room especially at night going up and down. It sounded just like a jet taking off from inside an airport terminal. The front desk staff was aware that it stated inside my Marriott profile and because I told them that we wanted to be away from the elevator. If we were told the elevator could be annoying and heard inside our room we would have requested a different room.

We were told on check-out by the Front Desk Manager it was the only room of that type in the hotel. I told her also if we would have known the elevator could be heard in the room and sounded like a jet taking off we would have change rooms. To her credit the manager did credit 4000 Marriott points to our account upon checkout but only after we ask for some type of compensation because they were misleading.

Because I believe the Courtyard by Marriott in Miramar wanted to fill a room just to fill a room even if that means not being completely open with a quest even when directly ask the question about elevator noise I will never stay there again because "I DON'T LIKE TO BE MISLEAD" from the front desk staff upon check-in.

Room Tip: I suggest don't get Room 901 if you don't like sleeping on an airport runway.
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I am a frequent traveler for business and rack up the Marriott points pretty quick so for a 'free' room with points, I won't complain (much). With that being said, I was sort of disappointed in the hotel ROOM. The lobby, restaurant, and pool all were fine for a Courtyard hotel, but the rooms were not up to par. The shower head was dangling off the wall when we arrived, the window was filthy, and the walls are paper thin.
HOWEVER - With that being said. The beds were comfortable and clean, TV had plenty of stations (not much to do in the area of which the hotel is located) and was big, pool is nice and the restaurant was also nice.

Room Tip: For you pre-cruisers - When you leave the hotel, take a right and head down about a block. Cross the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We (family of three) stayed here one night before a cruise and used Marriott points for the stay. Note that they have a $25 charge per person for more than 2 people, but waived the charge for children.

Our room was clean, quiet, and the staff were very friendly. Other reviewers have complained about the elevator but we didn't have any issues. The hotel is not in the greatest neighborhood, but we never felt uneasy. There is a subway, papa johns, pharmacy, and grocery store nearby. Taxis were always available out front to go to the cruise terminal.

Overall, we'd use this hotel again for a pre-cruise stay, but probably not if we wanted to spend more time in San Juan due to the inconvenient location relative to Old San Juan.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family