“Could have been awesome but...”
Review of Cervantes

Cervantes
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed here for the first week of our honeymoon. We were very excited to be staying in such a great location & the room looked beautiful! When we arrived check in went very smooth. All of the staff we encountered were exceptional. They were nice & went out of their way to great us & make us feel welcome. We had booked the king 1 bedroom with the balcony overlooking...the parking garage. ;) We knew this going in. It's Old San Juan, you're not going to have the best views in most of the hotels. When we got to the room I immediately thought of a review I had read on tripadvisor before leaving. In that review they had talked about booking the same king 1-bed with balcony, but were given a full bed room with one tiny window. Well, the exact same thing happened to us. We booked the king suite but were given a full room. The room was very nicely decorated but no king bed, no separate living room & no balcony. Instead... one full size bed, a couch in the same room & one very small window to the side of the bed. This was not even close to the room we had booked & saw on the website! So my husband went down to complain & ask for the room we booked & were paying for. They told him they'd look into it & get back to us. About 25 minutes later there was a knock at our door & we were escorted to the room we had booked & seen pictures of on the website. Much better! They had champagne & a fruit plate in our original wrong room so they moved that for us. The room is gorgeous. High ceilings, beautifully decorated, just gorgeous. The bathroom is very nice with a large steam shower. However the steam shower function didn't work & we never had a hot shower from start to finish our entire stay. The hot water would come & go throughout the shower. We then realized if we ran the sink's hot water the shower would have hot water, but it would be incredibly hot & there was no cooling it down. That was a big disappointment. Also, we were only given two towels each day which was disappointing as well. There was no alarm clock or any type of clock in the room & the phones were not working our entire stay...they weren't even in the rooms! The internet worked very well thankfully. Now onto the noise. I had read about the street noise & thought it wouldn't bother us. We've stayed in city rooms before & we're pretty heavy sleepers. This street noise was intense! Multiple nights we would wake up to the noise...a car laying on the horn...a drunk singing & yelling... police siren...a car blasting its stereo. Just a lot of noise. After a night or two we got used to it, but it is a lot & all of the time. There is also a "bodies exhibit" across the street at the base of the parking garage so in the mornings we'd awake to large school trips yelling & shouting waiting to enter the exhibit. The beds are amazing though! You're not going to want to get out of bed! The location of the resort is amazing too! You can walk everywhere. We even walked to a small beach to swim in one afternoon. Many amazing restaurants just around the block & one really great one right on our street ("Raices Restaurant"-try the mofongo dishes!!!) Felt very safe the entire time. There are a lot of pan handlers though. Maybe our issues were out of the ordinary, but it was a little much. Our stay could have been amazing but just fell short. If we return to Old San Juan we would most likely stay somewhere else...which I'm very sad to say.

Room Tip: Earplugs! Make sure you get the room you booked!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MissMetNY
There are newer reviews for Cervantes

Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

The room was fabulous! The bed was so comfortable, it was hard to believe it was a hotel bed. My husband loved the steam shower. Within blocks of everything. Didn't need a taxi and walked to all the Old San Juan hot spots. If I had to find a critique, I wld suggest a better seal to the balcony doors to buffer some of the outside noise. But it wasn't that bad and in a bed like that, we didn't really care.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank C-Dubya115
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear C Duvya 115:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write to us. We are more than proud to know that your experience was satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as yours.

Again, Thank You and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

If its anything that I can assist you dont hesitate to contact me directly at 787-724-7722

Albania Caamaño

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Chateau Cervantes is a beautifully decorated hotel located on Calle Recinto Sur, which is right in the middle of several restaurants, bars & cafés that are within steps from the entrance. I paid approximately $125/night (not counting the 18% tax & the $25/night fee). Worth every penny! The hotel & restaurant staff were extremely friendly & accommodating & my fiancé & I absolutely LOVED our stay here. The only things you should watch out for are your room door (the wood is warped so you practically have to slam it shut/force it open) & the noise outside (which is to be expected given the vibrant location).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Chrissie C:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write to us regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Again, thank you and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at
787-724-7722

Albania Caamaño

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I guess I was expecting a bit more. The blankets and towels had some stains. The air con makes a running water noise all night. Thought it was the toilet but I guess it's the pipes somewhere that makes a very loud noise every 20 minutes.
The rooms decor is very nice and the staff is really great, but doing this trip again I'd probably check out another spot mostly because I think this one is too expensive for all the things listed above.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear RperuM:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write to us. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 787-724-7722

Albania Caamano
Front Office Manager
Chateu Cervantes

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I too, have to agree with several of the past reviewers that this could be a great place to stay if the management would just fix some minor details. First the pluses of the Cervantes: The location was great. My husband and I were able to walk everywhere in Old San Juan. Although small, the room was quite sufficient for our needs. Very nice decor. Pleasant staff. Now the minuses: The noise from the street behind the building can carry late at night. Two of the three nights we were there we were woken up by some rowdy folks walking home from a neighboring bar. There's nothing the management can do about it, it's just the nature of the location. The lovely shower didn't have a small shelf to put shampoo, soap, etc on while showering. Really inconvenient. The floors were not as clean as I would have expected. I found a quarter and a bottle cap on the carpet from a previous tenant. There was also a small amount of mildew build-up beneath the shower door. I wouldn't have noticed it, but since I had to bend over to pick up my shampoo bottle (due to no shelf in the shower) it was evident that the corners were not cleaned well. Finally, I had an issue with the hotel after check-out. I had wanted to use a different credit card to pay for the stay rather than the one I guaranteed the room with. I gave the clerk the different card, she swiped it and gave me a receipt. When I got home and checked both credit card accounts, both accounts were charged the full fee. She didn't release the hold on the original card and it went through in addition to the charge on the second card. It took a couple of weeks to resolve. I let American Express handle it. Like I said, really mixed feelings about the hotel...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dramaq
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write us. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed and will be solved as soon as possible.

If we can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact us directly at 787-724-7722

Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel and our Junior Suite Room were beautiful on the surface and it was also a nice location. But there were many issues. Phones in the room didn't work. Light in over the sink in the bathroom didn't work (we tried and tried to make it work, finally figuring out if we slammed the bathroom door it would come on, but only once). The vent in the bathroom was a direct link to the room next door - it was as if our neighbors were in our room with us. The safe in the room didn't work. Needless to say we were disappointed. You might wonder why we didn't go down to the front desk for help (remember our phones didn't work), the young man that checked us told us he'd been there for 2 weeks and seemed to be a bit overwhelmed as it was, we didn't think he'd be able to do anything, we were there only one night so we just lived with the issues. Ultimatly a good hotel stay rests on the details and they were not at the Cervantes Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JodiDH503
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Guest:

Reviewed 17 March 2012

The Cervantes is situated entering old San Juan in a busy street, just accross a parking. Expensive but a a luxury when you are travelling by car. Next to the Cervantes are 5 or more restaurants that attract the cruise people. Which also means that after 10pm they are deserted.
Our room was small but since we only stayed one night and never spend a lot of time in the room, it was very OK. Perfect bathroom with plenty hot water. For some reason the restaurant, which is really very stylish with a nice menu, was closed (we had seen it open the week before). It also meant that we could not order extra's to the free breakfast (included when you book via Booking.com) that consisted of 4 slices of toast, two cookies and 2 small cakes (for two people). About outside noise... well there is the noise of the garbage trucks, but I think you just need to understand that this is normal in a city with narrow streets that gets overcrowded during the day with cruise people and needs a thorough cleaning every day. We had room 12 (3d floor) at the back of the hotel overlooking a narrow street. Service at the reception desk and at breakfast was perfect.

Room Tip: Room 12, 3d floor, back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write us regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Again, thank you for write us and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 787-724-7722

Kindest Regards!