“Went back the following week”

Asere Cubano Kitchen Bar
Ranked #53 of 1,173 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

I went to Asere for a private activity and tried some of their food by chance. The bar on the second floor is so much fun! While we were there, we tried several appetizer and they were all great! The ropa vieja filled tostones are delicious, and the ceviche is also very good and unique, different from all the other ceviches I've tried in San Juan. I actually went back a week later with my girlfriend for a real meal. Had the vaca frita and it was very good. Crispy but juicy and tender. Definitely recommend trying Asere. The drinks are also very good, try the passion fruit mojito for a unique refreshing drink. Also, a big plus is that it is in the "placita de santurce" which is a great place to hang out after dinner. Asere, Great spot!

Reviewed August 5, 2017 via mobile

Visited while on vacation this past Friday at the recommendation of a local. When I travel I love to explore local places and this one did not disappoint! Located in La Placita it was perfect! Live music can be heard on the streets and the crowds are fun and lively. Asere was beautifully decorated and staff was beyond friendly. I ordered a fried beef and mofongo dish and I must admit it was a bit salty but I actually love heavy salt so it was perfect for me. My mom ordered the roasted chicken which she offered me a bite and it literally melted in my mouth. I definitely will be returning to this place when I visit again!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is in a great location with happy times abounding outside. Our waiter never once in two hours asked us if we wanted a drink. Quick math, this cost the owner $50 on our table alone. Imagine that times ten every two hours every night. He's getting killed by his staff. Food could actually be good if they didn't dump a pound of salt into everything. Do yourself a favor and visit La Placito to have a good time but don't plan on eating at Asere.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed July 29, 2017

Great location - located within La Placita de Santurce (an amazing place in itself).
Great service - entire staff were beyond friendly and helpful. Especially our waiter Eric.
Great food - Ropa Vieja was amazing, Roasted chicken was fantastic. Chocolate lava cake with caramel salted ice cream was the cherry on top of the entire meal.

Reviewed July 26, 2017 via mobile

My steak was over cooked. I heard another couple ask what I was having, the waiter answered and asked how he would like it cooked. That upset me since I was not given this choice. The black beans was delicious and so was my date chicken. Small cozy place perfect for a date. Just tell them how you'd like you steak cooked. Mines was a bit tough.