“Nice experience but pricey”

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,147 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Reviewed March 14, 2018

The front part of the restaurant is mainly a busy bar serving food and had a feel of a place where locals went to be seen.
A very busy restaurant with not enough waiting staff. The first few courses arrived as expected but after this, the waiters seemed to be very rushed and unable to get the timings right for a relaxed dining experience.
The menu choices were good and we did enjoy the food but at too high a cost.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,390)

Reviewed March 13, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have been to some excellent restaurants over the years but Marmalade is top tier and by far the best overall experience we have ever had. From the moment we stepped inside the adventure began. We were seated at a wonderful table sprinkled with rose petals to help celebrate our special occasion. Our server was very professional yet personable and so informative. The Chef and owner Peter Schintler came out to us several times throughout our dinner to explain some of the dishes and we had a nice conversation about Puerto Rico and how it is recovering after Hurricane Maria. The atmosphere and decor of the restaurant is so welcoming and relaxing. The food!!!! My husband and I decided to go for the 5 course and I added the wine pairing but it turned into a 6 course because my husband tried my white bean soup and decided that he absolutely had to have a bowl (which you must if you go too...so incredibly amazing). We struggled a bit through the last 3 courses but only because the food was so good that we wanted to eat it all yet we were becoming full (I guess that is not a bad thing!). We however had already decided by the end of the second course that if we make it back to Puerto Rico that we will have to come back to Marmalade but we will only do 3 courses and the white bean soup is a must! Anyway...the whole meal was a wonderful trip, every course was cooked perfectly and presented like artwork, the amazing flavor combinations were unexpected but completely phenomenal, the wine pairing was perfect, the dessert was to die for and the service was exceptional. My husband had a smokey bourbon drink that I wish I could remember the name of it (I think is was something line IDGAF) but I have never in my life seen him enjoy a drink as much as that! It was truly an amazing experience all around. Though it is expensive, it is very much worth it!

Reviewed March 13, 2018

Visited Marmalade based on the Profit show on PR after Maria. They have done an amazing job renovating and we were told the show "probably saved the restaurant." Omar was our bartender (we typically choose the bar seating over a table for a more local experience) He made good recommendations and drinks. The white bean soup was exceptional so don't miss that! The only reason I gave a 4 not a 5 was that the hostess was less than "hospitable" when we showed up early for our reservation. Still worth the trip there.

Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

Very tasty, very beautiful, very creative. Very expensive. I thought it was lovely, just a little over priced for the experience. Our waiter was a little awkward, and he asked if I wanted water but took 15-20 minutes to come by and refill my glass. The chef was kind and interesting. Loved the restaurant overall. Would recommend.

Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

We got the tasting menu and may have bitten off a bit more than we could chew. Most of the dishes were fine, the truffled pasta was a bit over cooked.

OrganicPuertoRico, Owner at Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2018

Pixierust,
Thank you for the recent visit to Puerto Rico and to Marmalade as we were excited to host you. With nearly 30 different choices of organic seasonal & hormone/antibiotic free foods to choose from it can be overwhelming to decide what path you want to take on the gastronomique journey. As for pasta which is not served al dente or textured will be a direct result of making it fresh everyday for service. We don't buy or use any prepared foods and therefore can't offer that more traditional trattoria style "to the tooth" pasta.
We enjoy making them from scratch everyday but we also realize not all of guests truly appreciate that added extra effort and craftsmanship.
Hopefully you were able to enjoy some Vitamin D before heading back to some challenging weather on the eastern seaboard.......Safe travels as we look forward to seeing you again next year!
Warm Regards,