“amazing dining and food”

Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Marmalade Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,125 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fortaleza Street
Transit: Bus Station is located only two blocks from the center of San Juan where Marmalade is located
Description: To preserve the Marmalade experience at the respect of our patrons the age requirement for children is 7 years or older. Marmalade serves tasting menus only of 4,5,or 6 courses. Guests are allowed to select their own course thus creating an individualized tasting menu. Each tasting menu at the table may be different. We don't offer a Ala Carte format for dining. Dinner will take a minimum of two hours at your Leisure. Groups of 6 people or more will be invited to taste Chef's seasonal tasting menu of 15 courses. Dress appropriately please, no shorts and beach sandals in the restaurant.
Reviewed March 16, 2018

friendly courteous staff. 14 course dinner is amazing. you have to experience to truly enjoy it. works great with a group of people. this is definitely dining with the old san juan food culture. entirely (surprising nice) different look inside than from the outside.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,347)

Reviewed March 16, 2018

The meal and wine pairings were phenomenal. This was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Ceviche, amazing. Popcorn Shrimp, incredible. WHITE BEAN SOUP, don’t leave without having it. Risotto of Lobster, melt in your mouth deliciousness. Snapper, fabulous. Sea Bass, exceptional. Chocol8, DEVINE. Crème Brûlée, perfect. Every wine paired with each course was enhancing and a match made in heaven! This restaurant does everything right. Service was helpful, inviting and personable. Kat and the team who served us was fantastic! Definitely one to put on your list!

Reviewed March 15, 2018

Marmalade has excellent, inventive food. Great flavours. Great presentation. We echo the many complements shared by other reviewers concerning Chef Peter and his food. Just superb.

We wish, however, that the waiters let the food and wine speak for themselves. Marmalade’s menu, unlike many, is detailed and helpful; it doesn’t really need a lot of verbal explanation. Our waiter also brought a lot of energy to his descriptions of each wine he served us, but we just wanted to try the food and wine for ourselves. Two of the paired wines during our meal were already known to us, and frankly our waiter’s extensive description of one of the wines was contrary to our take on that particular wine. All the chatter is unnecessary and a bit distracting. The food is fabulous. Let the food, not the show, be the star.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

The front part of the restaurant is mainly a busy bar serving food and had a feel of a place where locals went to be seen.
A very busy restaurant with not enough waiting staff. The first few courses arrived as expected but after this, the waiters seemed to be very rushed and unable to get the timings right for a relaxed dining experience.
The menu choices were good and we did enjoy the food but at too high a cost.

Reviewed March 13, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have been to some excellent restaurants over the years but Marmalade is top tier and by far the best overall experience we have ever had. From the moment we stepped inside the adventure began. We were seated at a wonderful table sprinkled with rose petals to help celebrate our special occasion. Our server was very professional yet personable and so informative. The Chef and owner Peter Schintler came out to us several times throughout our dinner to explain some of the dishes and we had a nice conversation about Puerto Rico and how it is recovering after Hurricane Maria. The atmosphere and decor of the restaurant is so welcoming and relaxing. The food!!!! My husband and I decided to go for the 5 course and I added the wine pairing but it turned into a 6 course because my husband tried my white bean soup and decided that he absolutely had to have a bowl (which you must if you go too...so incredibly amazing). We struggled a bit through the last 3 courses but only because the food was so good that we wanted to eat it all yet we were becoming full (I guess that is not a bad thing!). We however had already decided by the end of the second course that if we make it back to Puerto Rico that we will have to come back to Marmalade but we will only do 3 courses and the white bean soup is a must! Anyway...the whole meal was a wonderful trip, every course was cooked perfectly and presented like artwork, the amazing flavor combinations were unexpected but completely phenomenal, the wine pairing was perfect, the dessert was to die for and the service was exceptional. My husband had a smokey bourbon drink that I wish I could remember the name of it (I think is was something line IDGAF) but I have never in my life seen him enjoy a drink as much as that! It was truly an amazing experience all around. Though it is expensive, it is very much worth it!