“OMG this place is sooooo good”
Review of Pelayo's - CLOSED

Pelayo's
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

The food here is incredible. Stayed for a week in San Juan PR and this was the only restaurant we went to TWICE.
The ceviche is perfect, just enough citrus to bring out the full flavors of the halibut without it being too "lemony". Incredible.
The paella is overflowing with seafood (clams, mussels, white fish, shrimp etc) and the meat paella as well, but with tasty, perfectly cooked chunks of chicken, pork and beef.
The tembleque (dessert) is OFF THE CHARTS amazing. Best in PR in my opinion. A mix between flan and mousse and so damn tasty it melts in your mouth.
I have to say the best service we had in PR was the waiter here, David. He guided us to all these amazing dishes, had the perfect amount of charm and humor and efficiency without hovering around the table. He let us have a romantic meal and completely enhanced our experience. What a professional. He was one of the main reasons we went back again (the awesome food of course was the MAIN reason). Thank you David!!!! You rock!!!!
Ambience was clean and nice and intimate without being crowded. The bus boy was also very sweet and helpful!
We have been telling everyone in our hotel to go...you should too

1  Thank JBruggs3

Reviewed August 22, 2017 via mobile

THE BEST restaurant we have been to so far in Puerto Rico. Our server David V. is simply world class. He made our dining experience so magical. We followed his recommendations and started with an out of this world Halibut Cevice... followed by an OH MY MY... that Paella was the best I have ever had (even better than my grandmas)... As if that wasn't mind blowing enough, David recommended the Tembleque which was the most orgasmic dessert I have ever had. If you're travelling to Puerto Rico, this place IS A MUST! Do not leave without trying their Paella and Tembleque. Truly a magical experience for us.

2  Thank RossJoe2015
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

Went here with my family and asked if they could make a cocktail to which our waiter, David G., mockingly responded that the place was not a cocktail bar 3 times in a row. After this, he came to our table and suggested again mockingly that I should go to a nearby bar next time with a stronger tone this time compared to the first time. In addition to this, he forgot the appetizer we ordered, and from certain point of the night, he stoped talking to me directly. The food was great, but this situation took most of what could have been a great experience away.

1  Thank Javier C
A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

As an appetizer, I had some shrimp and octopus. So good! For the main course I ate the lamb chops, which were amazing. My brother and dad ate Paella which they said was great. My mom had seafood soup and she ate every bit of it. The restaurant is very clean and the service is very friendly!

Reviewed August 16, 2017

We had a Gustavos coupon for 2 glasses of wine, paella for two and a dessert and two coffees. Paella takes 45 minutes to cook so we ordered sardines as appetizers. Our server apologized when he brought it out as there were only 2 sardines left in the kitchen, but he didn't charge us for them so that was a good way to handle it. Well, the wine was really good and the paella was wonderful. The restaurant is divided into two distinct sections, one more romantic side and one side that is more casual and has larger tables. We were on the more romantic side and really had a nice time. When it was time for dessert and I told the server that I was gluten free he offered me a flan, which was not normally included in the coupon deal. He served an excellent coffee with the dessert too. The coupon even offered two glasses of wine on our next visit, which we are going to try hard to take advantage of!