“what happened to this hotel?”

Mayaguez Resort & Casino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Mayaguez
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I've been visiting this hotel for several years now. This year it is a totally different place, what happened? The beautiful Verandas with the outdoor Caribbean feeling was gone! Its a huge closed up frozen place now I felt as if I was locked up in a freezer. The Verandas WAS SO COLD that we had to leave because my friend kept sneezing. Why would a place be so hostile and not even serve me a glass of water at the Restaurant? Unbelievable I asked for a glass of water with my meal and I was asked if I wanted sparkling or bottled water which is $2.50, all I wanted was a small glass of tap water because I don't drink none of the above and the glass of water was DENIED! Because of new policies they can no longer serve free water which is totally STUPID how greedy can you actually be when you can't give me a glass of water but we are freezing our @#$ off at the Verandas? What happened to the old management? Is it an inexperienced mentally challenged person running this place now? I seriously recommend you change the place to what it was before or you'll be out of business very soon. And I don't even want to talk about the rooms which the safety box don't even function properly. What Happened to the live music? There is no entertainment, you can't walk around the area because it is in a secluded place. All the employees look like their souls have been sucked out. What happened? Is the money hungry Lucifer running the place now? We checked out and went to Villa Cofresi which is very small but awesome it was right on the beach.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charles F
There are newer reviews for Mayaguez Resort & Casino

Reviewed 1 December 2011

Went for the weekend with my family.... kids enjoyed very much the river pool...it is actually pretty great, although extremely cold.. .could use a water heater!!...

The rooms are old and deteriorated....it is not worth the cost of the room for the stay. The bed was very comfortable, but everything else needs remodeling.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Adriana N
Reviewed 22 November 2011

As others have already said the rooms are old, furnishings and carpeting stained. Our room had a king bed made with linens that were probably queen sized ... they did not fit. Bottom sheet was so short it could not even be tucked in. Sheets once white were had a grayish tinge.

Bathroom - well, encountered the cleaning staff cleaning drinking glasses with windex. That was enough for me. Time for 60 Minutes?

We did have a large screen TV and a wonderful pool/ocean view that was unobstructed. That ended however with 6 a.m. construction on 3 of our 5 days at the resort.

The restaurant is overpriced and also lives on its reputation. The area does not have many eateries large enough to host a large gathering but that too is changing.

Room Tip: Ain't gonna happen here
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Taosdad
Reviewed 18 November 2011

i have a great time very friendly the front desk agent was the best Aime she is very polite patience she gave us a beautiful room with the ocean view we had the best time ever aime is the best keep it up always has a beautiful smile ......

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank carmen c
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The rooms were not clean. The floors were filthy. The room smelled like mold. The sheet had a large stain on the top sheet and smelled like soiled clothes. Somebody's hair was on the bathroom counter. The A/C was never consistent. The breakfast was good but cost $15 + tax/tip.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We got one of the rooms most depressing of the hotel. It was in the basement and when we arrived and I open the curtain what I found behind the glass was a wall. We were a group of 15 and we had 5 rooms reserved since february. We were all placed on different floors and I dont see why we were not located a least in the same floor. We were 4 adults and 1 child and we were not even offered a couch for the child. It was very depressing. Then they give you a $10 voucher to play at the casino but they donot specify that it has to be used on the tables and you have to match the voucher. The swimming pool are was great, I guess thats the only reason why I didnot take my stuff and leave.

Room Tip: Ask to please be given a room that does not have a wall behin the glass window.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank cmd777_11
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Avoid this place! Don't bring your children to this hotel, is very dirty, NASTY! The rooms,bathrooms, carpets, everything is dirty. The place smell bad and needed a lots of upgrades! I'm very disappointed because this place does not represent Puerto Rico at all! The only thing that looks OK is the pool!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lamia2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayaguez
2.1 km away
2.6 km away
Hotel Colonial
Hotel Colonial
#2 of 4 in Mayaguez

Been to Mayaguez Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!