Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino
  • Breakfast included
Monte Rio Hotel(Adjuntas)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewscaribbean seapuerto ricola guanchahotel is locatedlarge poolpool areabreakfast and dinnerslot machinesdecent hotelbit datedfront desk staffponce areaocean viewstayed one nightfitness centerminute drivevisiting ponce
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed over a 3 day weekend at the hotel and had a wonderful time. The desk staff (Rosa) and (Jenai) were so very helpful getting us cabs and suggesting great local places to eat. The hotel is high on a bluff and you see the ocean ..The breezes are warm and inviting. The hotel lobby, restaurant and rooms were very clean and the staff very attentive. The pool area is very large and you never feel crowded. It is quiet and very restful. Beautiful views and breezes! There is a shade area by the pool and it is surrounded by swaying palms.....AMAZING local restaurants nearby ( ask the hotel to call a cab for you (usually 15.00 to your destination) nothing like having a great dinner overlooking the ocean...again a restful experience. We took a cab into the town square of Ponce and walked around (sidewalks rolled up at 6pm!) and your cab driver gave us his personal cell so you can call them back to get you after you are finished.....but really the best part was the outstanding ( and VERY reasonable) roomservice breakfast brought to you on a rolling table and a second cup of coffee on your private balcony overlooking the ocean.... and then a day lounging by the pool......There is a casino , music, and a bar in the hotel. The Ponce airport is a short cabride away ($30.00) No hotel shuttle. Overall a great stay at a clean, well managed hotel. Book a room overlooking the pool on the 4th floor for the best views. A++ WE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms are quiet and they overlook the pool and ocean..... Get a room away from the bar music can be loud!!!!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank VIVMAUDLIN
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My wife and I visit the Ponce area regularly and always stay at this hotel, even though there are plenty of other options in the area with which we are familiar. Our most recent stay was a four-day holiday weekend. It sits on a hill overlooking the Caribbean Sea, a campus-style property with a particularly pretty and ample pool area. Although the hotel's location is convenient for exploring area attractions, a car or some other ground-transportation arrangement is an absolute must for travelers staying at this hotel, which is also true for Puerto Rico as a whole, a car-dependent island. The rooms are very clean, comfortable, and nicely furnished. The front-desk, maintenance and food/beverage staffs are excellent. Rates are on the pricey end for Holiday Inns at large, but one definitely gets what one pays for. The on-site restaurant serves very good food. We will most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We had stayed in the Mayaguez Holiday Inn on a previous evening and liked it, so we selected this property for the next night. We were told in Mayaguez that the hotels were owned by the same owner. This property is in many ways a twin to the Mayaguez......same carpeting in the hallways.....same furniture and similar menus in the restaurant. I think I prefer the Mayaguez property for the following reason: The hotel, although attached to the Casino, seems more separated in Mayaguez than in Ponce.....the lobby in Mayaguez is somewhat isolated from the Casino, so the entrance is more pleasant. In Ponce a lot of the Casino traffic is moving in the lobby and creates a bit more of a chaotic feel to it.....no big deal....but not pleasing to this traveler. The guest rooms in both hotels are nicely appointed and maintained. The restaurant in Mayaguez is more professionally served than in Ponce. The food is each is fine. These Holiday Inn properties are really better than the average of those that will be generally be found in the mainland of the US. One comment on the Ponce property......the flushing of the toilets makes one a little nervous......the water pressure seems a little low.....when flushing the water rises to the top of the bowl before finally and slowing receding.....sometimes requires more than one flush to complete the job.....makes you wonder if the thing is going to overflow.....but it did not. Sorry to be so graphic......but generally these kinds of toilet facilities make one a bit uneasy. Really.....this is a well run hotel and is worth a stay. Don't know about the Casino......generally I don't care for Casinos.

Room Tip: I recommend paying a bit more and staying on the "Executive Floor". It is quiet and has nice views of the Caribbean.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I had no complaints what so ever with this hotel. I was actually impressed with this being a Holiday Inn.

I stayed here two nights in late December. The room was clean, flat screen tv, with enough English channels, bathroom was nice. I stayed a Sheraton later in my trip in Old San Juan and would say that this hotel was definitely on par with the Sheraton.

The hotel was at the top of a hill, but made for a great view. Our room had a tree blocking our view but most rooms I would imagine would have great views. The pool area was huge. My girlfriend and I laid out with fantastic weather one day, not one other person on the pool which was fine by us. Nothing is in walking distance, so best to have a rental car or you will have to cab it.

The casino was no Vegas, but had the basics. Wish it had an active poker table, but I read that Hold’em isn’t very big in Puerto Rico, so it wasn’t a big deal. My only complaint was the drink service was very limited, don’t expect to get many drinks, but if you are playing table games and spending a little money I think they are free, least the couple I had were.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel. Great Value.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here for a weekend in August and this hotel served our needs very well. Our room was clean and the a/c was very cold which was nice. We had a view of the pool which was a nice size and had plenty of chairs around it. We ate at the restaurant several times, the food exceeded our expectations however breakfast was not so good.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business