All reviews room was clean pool and hot tub easy access puerto rico airport hj
Reviewed July 30, 2018

We have been staying at the Howard Johnson's in Ponce for the last 8 years and have found it to be declining over the years. Since Hurricane Maria we have pretty much stayed away until recently and have been very surprised to see how well it is being renovated. There is still work to be done, but the service is impeccable...the rooms are nice and comfortable and the food is delicious.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

I travel quite a bit considering that I am a working class citizen. I truly believe that I work to travel. At times, I work harder than others to travel to different places for different experiences.

Sometimes the amenities differ, hence the price compromise differs in experiences.

There is one thing that NO traveler should ever compromise, no matter how much you pay for a room for several nights or for a night, and that is safety and sanitation.

This week I was traveling from one side of the island of Puerto Rico to the other. It cause me to stay at Howard Johnson in the middle of my destination.

I chose Howard Johnson (there were not many choices in the area) as my middle point to rest and not rush and explore the city where it was located.

My party and I checked. Our room was on the second floor. There was no elevator. I explained to front desk that I am legally disabled due to a back injury and preferred a first floor. Front desk immediately stated that they were completely sold out and could not change my room. What to do?? Not much, had the two most important individuals in my life carry our luggage to the room, and immediately left to “La Guancha”. The walk to the room was about 2 city blocks long. The hotel was in despair.

The immediate most impactful scent was of chemicals. We assume it was roach spray. We ignored it as long as there were no bugs, because you get what you pay for right? I dealt with it as long as I did not see any bugs.

Unfortunately, when we woke up the next day. All three of us work us ill. We woke up with our chest tight, irritated throat, and etc...

At that point we knew something was wrong in the room. Of course, I immediately looked at the mattresses and what I found was completely unacceptable ... (see for yourself)

I reach out to front desk, and immediately asked to speak to a manager to request a credit for that night in an inhabitable room.

Front desk immediately stated that there was nothing she could do and that I had to speak with a manager on Monday. I was to check out Sunday morning. I advised Alexis (front desk) that it was unacceptable, and that I need her to see the room and my findings for her to understand what we had just experienced. She declined,and stated that I should have shared our concerns when we arrived. I explained that we would never even think of looking for our finding and was no way let them know until we truly experienced the stay.

I insisted she see the room and advised her I would contact corporate office and share on social media should she not get me in touch with a decision maker to credit the one night stay.

Guess what? The GM (general manager) was on duty. I met her in the room and share with her ALL the mold I found and the filthy sheets, curtains, bath tub, etc.... I also advised her that I was not willing to pay for my first night. She never directly answered my question.
I allowed it because I assumed that there is no way a manager would ever make such a poor business decision and have me pay for this room.

- [ ] She promised to make everything right and have the room cleaned. I had forgotten my cellphone wghile talking to her, she had 6 crew members cleaning out the room as if it were an episode of Dexter.

She made it right, we came back and it was clean. So I expected to pay for one night.

When I checked out, the manager charged me for the night and discounted $32.50 for the second night. I am insulted and expect a call from a member of the leadership team that is competence and judgement to correct this matter.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2018

Check-in was slow. This was just a quick overnight stay. I dipped my feet in the pool, but there were a lot of kids. I did have kids next to my room (an adjacent room) whom were all loud and obnoxious until about 11pm. I stayed at this hotel for work purposes and when I'm required to wake up early, I like to try and sleep early, but the kids kept me awake. In addition, I had a co-worker stay at the same hotel who said adults were in the hot tub laughing and having a great time until a very late hour as well. I think that the hotel should indicate that the pool and hot tub are closed after dusk, but nothing was done about these folks. I did get a couple bites while in my room (I think.) They went away and when I went to bed, I didn't have any further issues. I didn't use any amenities that the hotel had to offer, but the beds were comfy. I did notice that the lamp in the corner of the room had a ton of mold and the room and carpet were completed dated. I do understand that this island has gone through some traumatic times due to the hurricane so I do need to give my hotel reviews a breaks, but this hotel does need updates to the interior.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2018

My family and I stayed here last week. Upon arrival we were welcomed by the staff and general manager at almost 3:00am lol .... We had a very good time here!! Everyone was so friendly...

The rooms were very nice and clean, and what I liked the most was that breakfast at the restaurant (yummy) breakfast is my favorite meal of the day .... and that every morning they would clean the pool, I loved the pool !! The employees always willing to make you feel comfortable....

The hotel was near everything. I really enjoy that I was able to get to the airport in less than 5 minutes.

The atmosphere is so special that it really felt like home to me. All respect for the general manager Elianette who does a great job here. She made our trip more interesting with her advices and tips on where to visit... ... I have visited Puerto Rico but it is amazing how many places we've never seen.. Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone !! It's a true sample of excellent hospitality..

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed July 4, 2018

Absolutely loved my stay there. Relaxed atmosphere. Rooms are very clean. The pool was amazing. We had our Bluetooth speaker, layed out in the sun, had some drinks then had a delicious dinner in their buffet. The breakfast was my hubby’s favorite. It’s a mixture of Spanish traditional food and continental. The staff was superb! After staying there for a week they felt like family. Elianette was my fav, every night she asked what side of the island we were going to visit. The next morning she had recommendations of what we could go explore. If I could, I would rate this hotel a 10. I will always choose great service over a beach front any day, especially here.

Date of stay: June 2018