All reviews heavenly suite coffee house exclusion zone full kitchen mango cottage wonderful place island history two bedroom villa capital city grocery store beautiful island hams fell in love main floor top floor guest house fresh eggs
Reviewed February 17, 2009

I have strong mixed feelings about this place. The structure is lovely and I enjoyed the indoor/outdoor main room and found the bedrooms to be comfortable (although the carpet is in serious need of removal). The hot water, however, is at best just warm, making for a less than relaxing shower. The views are spectacular and one can truly feel in touch with nature and be serene here. This is also a great spot for bird watching. We did get early morning serenades from roosters and sheep but it was not bothersome to me. What I found really annoying was the incredably loud music blaring until 2:00am on Friday night. The location is not near much so a car is highly helpful - although the roads are a bit tricky.

What makes me reserved about this place is our experience with the Leas. There was always a bit of underlying tension and something was just off. I felt a sense of misrepresentation in their advertising (no ripe fruit to pluck from trees, no eggs to be gathered from hens - in fact David bought some eggs at the market on the way in from picking us up from the airport). There was always an edge to David (to put it nicely) and something unsettling beneath Clover's hippie exterior although she was at times quite generous. There was a reluctance on their part the two times we called their house/office for some information and we somehow ended up feeling as though we were imposing on them by being there. Their son Sunny gave us a nice island tour and seemed genuinely nice.

I see many excellent reviews posted for Gingerbread Hill. Perhaps we just happened to be there at a bad time for them. We were, however, paying guests at their establishment so I feel we should have been shielded from whatever was wrong on their end. I want to like this place and indeed, there are many elements that are wonderful. Unfortunately though, we left with a sort of bitter taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
9  Thank CHMA
Clover L, Owner at Gingerbread Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2016

So very sorry you did not have the experience that we always hope for! The carpet has been replaced, the neighbor's bar which was one ridge north of us, with the loud music, has closed, the showers work great, and I am unsure about the underlying tension you observed. I suppose,being human, anything's possible, but I certainly apologise for making you feel anything but welcome and very comfortable!

I recently realized that I could write responses to these reviews, so here I am writing many years after this one! (We did not set up a Trip Advisor account. We discovered that we had a presence here long after we actually did!)

Leaving with a bitter taste in the mouth is definitely NOT what we want our guests to do.So please accept my sincere apologies for any neglect that you felt or off-putting behaviour that you observed. I do not recall what allwas happening back then, but you are certainly correct that no matter what we might be experiencing as your hosts, it should not show in any way that would cause you to feel less than welcome and appreciated. (Actually, I just now realized the timing of your visit and what our particular problem was. It was a real crisis that shook us to the core. We were just doing our best to carry on with life as usual. Now we can look back on it and see that it ended up, as many unexpected troubles do, being a blessing in disguise, but it sure didn't feel that way back then. Sorry again that you felt our discomfort. We tried to do our best.

Blessings,

Clover

Reviewed January 19, 2009

This is truly something remarkable. The rooms are tastefully designed, neat, and clean. You couldn't ask for better hosts. David and Clover Lea will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and possess a wealth of experience about Montserrat. If you are looking for something off-the-beaten path that soothes and relaxes, this is the place. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank groovemon
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We were on our first trip to the Caribbean. We spent a week in an all inclusive in Antigua and then jumped over to Montserrat. I wanted to feel a little native non-touristy caribbean. Montserrat is IT. David and Cover run the Gingerbread Hill. They are great people. If you wondered what happened to the the '60s people, these are them. We had the suite on the main floor. It was gorgeous and pretty wide open. It had doors. I guess they work, but we never closed them. We did close up the bedroom at night for the mossies. The family dog would stop by to visit. I felt like I was staying with cool relatives. David picked us up at the tiny airport. He hooked me up with "Beep Beep' the Montserrat version of Hertz. He gave us a well used little 4WD, no pesky forms or such. He just told me how much to pay him later, preferably in cash. The vehicle worked out just fine.
David took us to get some groceries. We eat out a couple of times. The People's place was the best. It looks like a blue shipping crate on the hill. However it was great food, cheap. Met some nice Brits hanging around drinking and eating. Everyone seem to talk to you and ask how you like their island. Not at all touristy. We ate at another restaurant next to the Green Monkey dive shop. Great food. When I went to pay the bill, I saw the kitchen. It consisted of a hibachi about 12 inches by 18 inches on a shelf.
David's son, Sunny gave us the Volcano tour. These people KNOW the volcano. Of course that is probably a good idea if you live there. Sonny is a great guy and took us all around the areas you are allowed to drive in. Much of the island is 'off limits' As for other stuff to do, there aint alot. The beaches are a little poor. However, if you want to soak up a little native and just relax, this is it. Pretty darn cheap too.
Ok there was one drawback. They were experiencing a rooster issue. Every darn morning he snuck up under our window and BLASTED. So we got up early....

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank Richard H
Reviewed October 5, 2008

This place is fantastic, from the views, the lack of bugs, the incredible hikes and beaches within fair walking distance, to the impromptu island tours offered by David and Clover, as well as a wealth of info offered about the Soufriere Hills volcano. Well-put-together, this place offered what most boutique hotels DREAM of offering. Homey, stylish, well-priced, friendly. Go at once! Don't dilly-dally!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank M0ve0n
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Wanting to visit the Caribbean for the first time and to get away from the States for a time of reflection, I searched the Internet for weeks for just the right place. Late one evening, after I had clicked nearly every link to every island, I noticed a few not yet visited. Montserrat. Gingerbread Hill. The price.

It was exactly what I was looking for. Peace and quiet, views, nice people, extraordinary hosts, Rendevous Bay, and an automatic upgrade because the villa was not rented the week I was there. May sound strange to some readers, but it's a great place if you really need some down time, a place to fast and pray, a place where you really can hear God's voice.

• Stayed: April 2003, travelled solo