Gingerbread Hill
US$90
US$72
Cocobay Resort(Bolans)
  • Breakfast included
COCOS Hotel Antigua(Jolly Harbour)
US$319
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$353/night.

Curtain Bluff Resort(Saint Mary's)
US$776
US$216
US$170
Bookit.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$189/night.

Sugar Ridge Resort(Jolly Harbour)
US$215
Carlisle Bay Antigua(Saint Mary's)
US$575
Orbitz.com
Hermitage Bay(Saint Mary's)
US$1,000
US$235
US$165
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsheavenly suiteexclusion zonefull kitchencoffee houseisland historybeautiful placemango cottagegrocery storebreathtaking viewstwo bedroom villagreat guyday triphamsfell in lovemain floorgreat hostscapital city
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed in the Heavenly Suite and it was just that. The suite is clean, beautifully decorated and has a fabulous view....We ate dinner on the veranda each night, just to enjoy the sunset over the ocean. The People's Place (good food!) is walking distance from Gingerbread Hill and has terrific food. We ate lunch there on two occasions and enjoyed chatting with the owner. While on the island, we hiked (there is a nice trail that begins just up the road from the People's Place), snorkeled (it's not the greatest snorkeling, but it's not bad!), and generally took it easy. We also purchased an island tour with Sunny. He was great - very knowledgeable and friendly - and he took us to places that we would have never discovered on our own. We rented a car from the Leas - not fancy, but just fine for getting around the island (and you definitely need a car here). We had a great time and can't wait to go back.

The Lea's were helpful - they picked us up and dropped us off at the airport, took us to the grocery store, and gave us some helpful tips about what to see and do. They were cordial, but not overly friendly or familiar. I wouldn't have thought twice about this, had I not read reviews on this site that nearly gush about the hospitality of the Leas. My take on it is this - they are just like anyone else - they have good days and bad days and they are going to hit it off with some visitors more than others. We (my husband and I) were there to enjoy some time to ourselves, so all we wanted were helpful hosts...and that is what we had.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ucla94
Reviewed February 17, 2009

I have strong mixed feelings about this place. The structure is lovely and I enjoyed the indoor/outdoor main room and found the bedrooms to be comfortable (although the carpet is in serious need of removal). The hot water, however, is at best just warm, making for a less than relaxing shower. The views are spectacular and one can truly feel in touch with nature and be serene here. This is also a great spot for bird watching. We did get early morning serenades from roosters and sheep but it was not bothersome to me. What I found really annoying was the incredably loud music blaring until 2:00am on Friday night. The location is not near much so a car is highly helpful - although the roads are a bit tricky.

What makes me reserved about this place is our experience with the Leas. There was always a bit of underlying tension and something was just off. I felt a sense of misrepresentation in their advertising (no ripe fruit to pluck from trees, no eggs to be gathered from hens - in fact David bought some eggs at the market on the way in from picking us up from the airport). There was always an edge to David (to put it nicely) and something unsettling beneath Clover's hippie exterior although she was at times quite generous. There was a reluctance on their part the two times we called their house/office for some information and we somehow ended up feeling as though we were imposing on them by being there. Their son Sunny gave us a nice island tour and seemed genuinely nice.

I see many excellent reviews posted for Gingerbread Hill. Perhaps we just happened to be there at a bad time for them. We were, however, paying guests at their establishment so I feel we should have been shielded from whatever was wrong on their end. I want to like this place and indeed, there are many elements that are wonderful. Unfortunately though, we left with a sort of bitter taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
8  Thank CHMA
Clover L, Owner at Gingerbread Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2016

So very sorry you did not have the experience that we always hope for! The carpet has been replaced, the neighbor's bar which was one ridge north of us, with the loud music, has closed, the showers work great, and I am unsure about the underlying tension you observed. I suppose,being human, anything's possible, but I certainly apologise for making you feel anything but welcome and very comfortable!

I recently realized that I could write responses to these reviews, so here I am writing many years after this one! (We did not set up a Trip Advisor account. We discovered that we had a presence here long after we actually did!)

Leaving with a bitter taste in the mouth is definitely NOT what we want our guests to do.So please accept my sincere apologies for any neglect that you felt or off-putting behaviour that you observed. I do not recall what allwas happening back then, but you are certainly correct that no matter what we might be experiencing as your hosts, it should not show in any way that would cause you to feel less than welcome and appreciated. (Actually, I just now realized the timing of your visit and what our particular problem was. It was a real crisis that shook us to the core. We were just doing our best to carry on with life as usual. Now we can look back on it and see that it ended up, as many unexpected troubles do, being a blessing in disguise, but it sure didn't feel that way back then. Sorry again that you felt our discomfort. We tried to do our best.

Blessings,

Clover

Reviewed January 19, 2009

This is truly something remarkable. The rooms are tastefully designed, neat, and clean. You couldn't ask for better hosts. David and Clover Lea will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and possess a wealth of experience about Montserrat. If you are looking for something off-the-beaten path that soothes and relaxes, this is the place. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank groovemon
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We were on our first trip to the Caribbean. We spent a week in an all inclusive in Antigua and then jumped over to Montserrat. I wanted to feel a little native non-touristy caribbean. Montserrat is IT. David and Cover run the Gingerbread Hill. They are great people. If you wondered what happened to the the '60s people, these are them. We had the suite on the main floor. It was gorgeous and pretty wide open. It had doors. I guess they work, but we never closed them. We did close up the bedroom at night for the mossies. The family dog would stop by to visit. I felt like I was staying with cool relatives. David picked us up at the tiny airport. He hooked me up with "Beep Beep' the Montserrat version of Hertz. He gave us a well used little 4WD, no pesky forms or such. He just told me how much to pay him later, preferably in cash. The vehicle worked out just fine.
David took us to get some groceries. We eat out a couple of times. The People's place was the best. It looks like a blue shipping crate on the hill. However it was great food, cheap. Met some nice Brits hanging around drinking and eating. Everyone seem to talk to you and ask how you like their island. Not at all touristy. We ate at another restaurant next to the Green Monkey dive shop. Great food. When I went to pay the bill, I saw the kitchen. It consisted of a hibachi about 12 inches by 18 inches on a shelf.
David's son, Sunny gave us the Volcano tour. These people KNOW the volcano. Of course that is probably a good idea if you live there. Sonny is a great guy and took us all around the areas you are allowed to drive in. Much of the island is 'off limits' As for other stuff to do, there aint alot. The beaches are a little poor. However, if you want to soak up a little native and just relax, this is it. Pretty darn cheap too.
Ok there was one drawback. They were experiencing a rooster issue. Every darn morning he snuck up under our window and BLASTED. So we got up early....

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank CVChief
Reviewed October 5, 2008

This place is fantastic, from the views, the lack of bugs, the incredible hikes and beaches within fair walking distance, to the impromptu island tours offered by David and Clover, as well as a wealth of info offered about the Soufriere Hills volcano. Well-put-together, this place offered what most boutique hotels DREAM of offering. Homey, stylish, well-priced, friendly. Go at once! Don't dilly-dally!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo