“A little Piece of heaven”
Review of Gingerbread Hill

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montserrat
Gingerbread Hill
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montserrat
Reviewed 25 May 2017

We stayed at Gingerbread Hill in March 2017. Montserrat itself is beautiful and I fell in love with Montserrat but when I walked into our 2 bedroom villa at Gingerbread Hill I truly thought I had stolen a little piece of heaven. The view is just like the pictures but even more breathtaking in person. Clover was good enough to pick us up at our first place we stayed at. It was beautiful also but I had always wanted to stay at Gingerbread Hill and stayed for as many nights as it was available while we were there....in other words book early ecspecially during busy times.
The 2 bedroom villa is the main floor of the house. Clean, quaint and well equipped.
Again did I tell you about the views....beautiful!! You can see along the coast and out into the ocean. There is a beautiful porch swing which was a perfect spot to watch the sunset every night. The patio doors open wide to the outside allowing for true indoor/outdoor living.
Clover, David, and Noah were all welcoming, kind and helpful. Thanks David for swinging by the place we stayed previous to pick up our forgotten passports. I wonder if it was my subconscious at work that really left them....hoping I could stay forever in Montserrat :)
Noah was sweet and Joshua has his signs that Noah makes and sells at Hilltop up in his room. Friends forever Noah!!
Clover and David arranged a vehicle rental for 2 days....scary at first driving on the wrong side of the road for us on some very steep winding roads but you get used to it quickly and it was great to be able to get around on our own.
The grounds around Gingerbread Hill are beautiful and well kept with fruit trees everywhere. We enjoyed and are thankful to Clover for leaving us some yummy mangoes in the fridge. Water is good to drink and again was thankful for the cold water in the fridge that Clover left.
In Montserrat and at Gingerbread Hill you are close to everything....yes some within walking distance and some things you need a lift.
Dont forget to stop in at the Hilltop coffee house that Clover and David own and run.There is interesting memorabilia and sweet treats to eat. We didnt stay nearly long enough but will be one more reason to go back. While there dont forget to pick up some lunch or supper at Johns Place next door.....Good Food.
When we finally had to leave Clover was good enough to drive us to the airport.
What more can I say......this a beautiful island. Gingerbread Hill is a beautiful place to stay with friendly accomodating hosts. We certainly didnt want to leave and a day doesnt go by that I dont think of going back. Take you next vacation here....stay at Gingerbread Hill. You wont regret it!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank barblesjosh
Clover L, Owner at Gingerbread Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

HI! This is Clover checking in with anyone who may be checking out Gingerbread Hill to see how we fared in the recent onslaught of hurricanes. I am very grateful to report that Gingerbread Hill only sustained downed trees, over the course of many hours of much lower winds than Dominica or Puerto Rico received. I think the highest winds were only around 100 mph. due to the storm shifting more westerly as it approached Montserrat. So we did NOT get the full impact as so many of our neighboring islands did...from the past three hurricanes. As a consequence, Antigua and Montserrat are still open for business, and Gingerbread Hill is very green and vibrant and ready for your arrival. Our hearts really go out to all the dear folks who've been blasted by Irma and Maria. We've been there / done that...in 1989 after Hurricane Hugo. And we would wish that upon NObody.

Anyway, I just wanted to let folks know that the FamiLea, Gingerbread Hill, Montserrat, and access to Montserrat via Antigua are all alive and well!

Clover,David, and the FamiLea

Reviewed 6 May 2017

It's so hard to write words, that would truly describe your experience at gingerbread hill and Montserrat Island. David and Clover continually went out of there way to make sure your experience is 10 out 10. They made our holiday an experience to remember. If your unsure about where to stay, you only need to look at one place. As a commercial pilot I've traveled the globe and I've never experienced the warmth and hospitality that both David and Clover gave us. I can assure you one thing you won't regret going to Montserrat island and staying at Gingerbread hill.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Aaron151515
Clover L, Owner at Gingerbread Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Wow! Thank you SO much for these kind thoughts, put into words. We truly appreciate that you loved your time here at Gingerbread Hill and also that you TOOK the time to even write about it. Bless you! We loved having you here with us,and I apologize for taking so long to respond! Sometimes I inadvertently drop a piece in the juggling of all the aspects of my life here on Montserrat.I will try to do better with responding in a more timely manner, as I do with reservation requests!
Blessings to you,

- Clover

Reviewed 29 March 2017

My husband and I (his 2nd trip, my 1st) just returned from a relaxing, peaceful, and fun three days at Gingerbread Hill. The Heavenly suite is just that- heaven, with breathtaking views, clean and comfortable. The best thing about Gingerbread Hill is the host family- the Leas. David and Clover knocked themselves out making sure we had what we needed and are enjoyed ourselves. We got island history, practical advice, news of events and places we'd like and a non-stop friendly spirit. Their son, Sunny, offers a fantastic island tour during which you can actually go into the streets of the capital city , Plymouth, buried by the Volcano over 4 years ago. Montserrat has suffered the outrages of earthquake, hurricane and volcano but the people are some of the warmest and friendliest of the Caribbean. The island is beautiful,the pace is slow, relaxed and friendly. We came home refreshed and are eager to return.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Claudia S

Dear Claudia,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time here! Thank you so much for staying with us and also for taking the time to write about it! Please forgive me for not writing sooner. I need to form an efficient habit of responding right away on Trip Advisor, as I do with guest reservations and answering their questions by email! There are always more good habits to form, I think.

Thank you again for your warmth and reciprocation,

Clover,David and the FamiLea

Reviewed 22 March 2017

My wife, cousin and I travelled to Monserrat and stayed at Gingerbread Hill during St. Patricks week in March. My cousin had recommended that we stay there so I was expecting that we would be happy with the accommodation. Even so, we were thrilled about the Two Bedroom Villa that we rented. The views, the spaciousness, the cleanliness, etc. exceeded our high expectations. In addition, Clover was a very welcoming and caring host and it became obvious that she wanted to ensure we had an enjoyable time on the island. This island has been through a lot over the years and we learned a lot about it from Clover and her whole family through what she told us and from the excellent tour that David [husband] and Sunny [son] took us on to the former town of Plymouth destroyed by the volcano. I think what made this more than just a relaxing island vacation was the true passion of the family for their island. We returned home feeling relaxed like we would from any other vacation, but we also brought home lasting memories of an island still recovering from the devastation of the volcano and of the people like the Lea's that love this beautiful place.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank MarkAMark

We are so happy that your time here met your expectations, and also that you took the time to review Gingerbread Hill! I apologize for taking so long to respond. Truth is...I forgot! Gee....how ridiculous of me - especially after such a lovely time with you guys and such a glowing review of your time here! Please forgive my lateness to respond. I need to get in the habit of checking for new reviews and responding to them. The computer seems to be claiming more and more of my time these days. Same for you?

You're right. Montserrat has always been and remains, even after all the devastation, a very special place. And what makes it this way is not only the sheer beauty of it the Montserratians who have a God given ability to smile and pray their way through to the other side.

Blessings to you!

Clover, David and the FamiLea

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

David and clover were sweet kind and the best negotiaters I've ever seen with great services pick up from the airport and drop off also took us to the supermarket for groceries once we called they were there. They're loving and reall.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Deutsche Telekom
3  Thank alecianicola21

Thanks so much for your kind words....They go a long way!

Clover, David and the FamiLea

Reviewed 20 February 2017

My husband and I visited Montserrat the first week of February, we stayed in the heavenly suite at Gingerbread Hill and it was amazing, the views and the sunsets we will never forget. Clover and David are so kind and helpful, we felt so at home as soon as we arrived. We took the tour of the island(a must do) with their son Sunny and he is a wealth of information and such a great guy. Montserrat is a place like no other and the people are so proud of their island and you feel it everywhere you go with their kindness and happy smiles. I was in Montserrat 30 yr ago and I never forget that feeling and was so happy to feel it again. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Heavenly suite
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank spgregg1845
Clover L, Owner at Gingerbread Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2017

Montserrat IS a very special place, indeed! We've been blessed to get to live here for the past 38 years and to share the beauty and the magic of Montserrat with others who are drawn to come here and experience it for themselves. Thank you for being among those special folks who stay here at Gingerbread Hill! It is you who make all the difference...
- Blessings.....Clover

Reviewed 19 February 2017

As i sit eating my breakfast of grits and eggs with Rooster’s hot sauce, i am reminded of the peaceful island of Montserrat. i brought 3 bottles of Rooster’s hot sauce from Montserrat because it is that good!
In January 2017 i had the good fortune of visiting Monserrat, a wonderful tropical island known as the “Emerald Isle of the Caribbean.” It is a nation rebuilding, after it’s live volcano erupted in the 1990’s. Of the few places to lodge i stayed at Gingerbread Hill! There are a few options there, however i fell in love with the Mango Cottage! Nestled under a grand mango tree (and surrounded by bananas, papayas, limes and coconuts), the cottage provides a home away from home with it’s own kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom. i awoke every morning during my stay to the sounds of birds! (i saw more hummingbirds in 5 days on Montserrat, than i’ve ever seen in my whole of 45 years!) Clover, (who picked me up from the airport), and David (who dropped me off at the airport) are the wonderful couple who own Gingerbread Hill! Their son, Noah, showed me how to swing from a coconut tree (we had quite a few swings)! Their son Sunny provided a very worthwhile tour of the island as well. i plan to visit again ASAP!
i loved walking to and from Gingerbread Hill, and received a bit of a work out due to the hills of Montserrat. On one trek i found my self at Pont’s and experienced Lion fish for the first time (it was the catch of the day). At Pont’s, during this peaceful day, i also tasted Rooster’s hot sauce, and decided i must bring some home to New Jersey with me!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Corey F

We here at Gingerbread Hill loved having you stay here with us....all snuggled in to your little Mango Cottage. You fit right in...almost as if you were a mango, yourself! Blessings to you, Oh poetic one.................- Clover

Been to Gingerbread Hill? Share your experiences!