See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We were happy and reasonably comfortable in our lodge, although the pool (and the small jacuzzi on our porch) were less than appealing; the pool especially needs to be cleaned up. These are simple rooms but charming. There was some limited kitchen equipment (a portable burner, some simple pots, utensils and plates) which we took advantage of as well. Location can't be beat if you are a hiker. Owner was very nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We often find it hard to make a decision to stay somewhere that has mixed reviews, but the uniqueness of this place being off the grid in the rainforest just made us want to give it a try at least for a couple of days. With that mindset, knowing that it would be an adventure more like camping at a KOA than relaxing at the Hilton it was fine.

First, the taxi drops you off at the dead end of a winding steep road (all roads on Saba are steep and curvy). Then you walk down some steps and along a jungle path for about 10 minutes to the lodge. We stayed in the Tropic Bird cabin, which is on the highest point on the property another few minutes hike up some steep stone steps. It had a good view of the ocean and at night it was surprisingly cool even in August with the fresh breeze coming in between the mountain peaks. There aren’t any screens in the windows but we didn’t have any issues with bugs, but there are lizards and frogs and a bat did fly in the small window up in the loft (that’s part of the rainforest experience). The cabin itself was small but neat and generally clean; you have to remember it’s in a rainforest so some amount of damp mustiness is to be expected. The restaurant was great, a little on the expensive side. It was cool that the dining room was lit with only candles and gas lamps.

Here are some tips to note if you’re thinking about staying here. Note that we were here in August, which is the low season for Saba so maybe some things would be different during the high season:

-We took the Edge ferry from the Simpson Bay Resort. Very smooth going over, about an hour and 15 minute ride. Rough coming back two days later, 90 minutes and quite a few people got sick. All the luggage left outside on the back of the boat got soaked from the spray. The ferry was only running every other day and on the return trip it filled up and people with tickets were turned away. Be sure to pass through immigration and get your passport exit stamped before getting in line for the ferry or they will send you back and you will lose your place in line.

-We thought about renting a car. The roads are very narrow and steep and one lane is often blocked with a parked vehicle or something else. Extremely close on curves and corners, especially in town. We decided to walk and use taxis.

-You have to walk to the property, either 10 minutes from the end of the road or 20 minutes up some steep stairs from Windwardside at the starting point of the Mt. Scenery trail. Pack light.

-Rooms higher up the steep path have better view of the ocean (Tropic Bird, Anolis) and probably more breeze. Some of the other cabins are surrounded by the jungle.

-Remember this is like camping so you need to bring some supplies:

--Bring a light jacket and extra towels. We had to close the windows one night because it was so cool. Bring an extra towel, it’s damp so towels don’t hang dry.

--Bring a flashlight. Two of the lights in our cabin didn’t work, including the one in the bathroom. There are no lights on the path so it is very dark walking up the path and steps from the restaurant to the cabins at night. A flashlight is a must if you are on any of the paths after dark because all trails on Saba are dark and steep.

--Drinking water and food. The Eco-lodge water supply is rainwater from a cistern. It had a brownish color so we didn’t drink it. While we were there the restaurant was open for dinner one night, closed the next and closed for lunch both days. We had a good breakfast one day, the next day the restaurant was unlocked but no-one was around so we had pastries in town. It’s a good 20 minute walk to town so bring some snacks to have on hand. There are a couple of grocery stores in town and several restaurants.

--If you are going hiking stop in Windwardside and get a map. No maps available at the Eco-lodge. There is a nice tourist office right at the edge of town where the trial from the Eco-lodge comes out. Bring good hiking shoes with grip soles, many of the paths and steps are wet and slippery.

-They have nice pictures of the pool on the web-site and we were looking forward to a cooling dip after hiking. Unfortunately, the pool was slimly green with algae and unusable. We used the “solar shower” which is a two gallon black plastic bag that you set in the sun to heat up and then hang on a hook to use.

-The staff were friendly and nice when they were around, but it was hard to find someone when the restaurant was closed. If you have an issue with the toilet or the lights, as we did, no one was around. If you’ve ever been camping in a small camper trailer you will recognize the toilet; it’s the small plastic foot-operated low flow type.

-The pictures on the web site must be a few years old. The cabins are generally neat and clean but not so fresh and shiny as in the pictures. The jungle is trying to reclaim the property but that is part of the ambience.

If I come back to Saba I may spend another night or two at the Ecolodge for that “sleeping in the rainforest” experience but then I would probably move to town for a hot shower and soft bed.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up the steep path have better view of the ocean (Tropic Bird, Anolis) and probably more breeze. Some of the other cabins are surrounded by the jungle.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Holland850
Reviewed July 30, 2013

What is good:
Location and restaurant

What is under par:
Swimming pool (I wouldn't even let my dog swim in this pool)
Hot tub (See previous remark)
Sheets on the bed (they really stink)

I am very easy going and do not expect much so I did not border that:
- you need to bring your own flashlight to find you cottage at night
- you do not have a fridge
- there is limited water to shower;
- limited electricity;
- limited cell phone reach;
- no internet

If I would go back again. Mhhh no not really, because I do expect clean sheets on the bed.

Room Tip: Take the cheapest room if you want to stay, because the most expensive one is not worth the money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank CarlosMartina
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've been hosteling, camping, backpacking lots of places, but I have NEVER stayed in a rainforest before Ecolodge. There are a few rainforests in the Caribbean, but no camping allowed, no hotels inside (most are parks). One of the neat things about Saba. Our lodge/hut/bungalow/cottage (not sure the best word) was better than I expected.

I really appreciate the owners' dedication to the environment and trying to be as low-impact as they can. Therefore, was it luxurious? No. So if you're expecting pampering and massages and turndown service after a great day of hiking or diving, try a hotel. I think the name includes Rendezvous-vous because the property is at the confluence of several mountainous trails. Saba has more than a dozen.

I've seen one review who didn't like the food at the restaurant, but frankly I'm not sure why. I think the chef is one of the top 3 on the island. I should know, because I've tried them all.

Backpackers and fellow environmentalists will love this place!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank manalive53715
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed staying at the Ecolodge but there are definitely a few things that could use some love. Its a little run down eg. the sheets smell a little moldy and not all kitchen supplies available. The shower is cold water, so be prepared. Staff are nice and helpful, great chef onsite too.The location is not bad especially if you enjoy being far removed from noise and lights, but note you have to walk about 15mins up a VERY steep hill to get from town to your place. Its slightly inconvenient for groceries/bars/restaurants, but a great workout and gorgeous walk (taxi back for $5-7). Also make sure you bring a flashlight. The place is solar powered for the most part and at night there are no lights on the property (stargazing is awesome here!). Its super safe and no hassles otherwise. Overall, we like the place but if you are a 5star, don't like bugs, nature and a bit of adventure kinda-person forget it. Oh, and add the Saban lemons to your "dark and stormy's".

Room Tip: The Tree Frog Cabin was super cozy and cute. Had a nice enough view and was very private. All cabins have a little porch for eating or hammock. Higher cabins have better views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple