“Exceptional Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Lucia

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Green Bay
27 helpful votes
“Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

My husband and I visited St. Lucia in May of 2010 and booked Hugo Tours based on the positive reviews on TA.

I arranged for him to pick my husband and I up at the airport UVF and drive us to our hotel in Gros Islet.

Upon meeting Hugo, I immediately felt at ease as he was very friendly and professional. His van was very clean and comfortable as well. The drive was relaxing and informative. Although we had been to the island previously, Hugo provided much information that we had not learned on the previous visits.
His prices were also very reasonable and in many cases lower than other quotes I had received. Another reason I booked him was that he responded to my emails within a very short time frame and was very professional each time.

We liked Hugo so much that we requested his services for the remainder of our week. He picked us up the following morning at our hotel in Gros Islet and took us to our next hotel, where we were booked to stay for the next eight days. He also drove us to Marigot Bay as we had dinner reservations at Rainforest Hideaway. Hugo waited in Marigot while we ate our dinner (approx. 2 hours). As soon as we stepped off the ferry after dinner, there he was waiting for us. We were very impressed with this. Hugo even took us in Rodney Bay when we requested to visit somewhere for cocktails. He remained with us until we were finished and again drove us back to our hotel.

Hugo offered to escort us to the Jump Up Street Party in Gros Islet later in the week and we took him up on the offer. He remained with us most of the time we were at the party and even brought his lovely wife. They filled us in on local life and directed us toward food stations and found a table for my husband and I to eat at. We enjoyed ourselves immensely and felt very comfortable with Hugo as our guide.

I cannot recommend his services enough. Whether it is a transfer for the airport or a tour of the island, you cannot go wrong with Hugo. His service is top notch.

1 Thank sacci
Houston, Texas
1 helpful vote
“Winson Taxi Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

Another ringing endorsement for Winson Taxi Service!!

Great staff of taxi drivers! We could not have been more pleased with the service and value we received with Winson and his staff. We got great rates per person to and from the UVF airport to the Rodney Bay area. The drivers were always very safe and reliable!

Thank you so much for the excellent service, Winson! We will definitely call you when we return to St. Lucia next!

Houston, Texas
1 helpful vote
“St. Lucia - Winson Taxi Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

We just had our wedding at St. Lucia. We hired Winson to help us transport our wedding guests from UVF airport to The Landings Rock Resort in Castries. On our way in from the airport, the drivers would provide all kinds of information about the beautiful island. They were all very knowledgeable about the island. In addition, Winson transported guests staying at the Sandals Regency to The Landings for all our wedding events. A group from the wedding took Winson's Soufriere Tour and they enjoyed everything about his tour. We all kept him very busy all week, calling him for any trip we needed. Winson kept a great attitude the whole time! If he couldn't take us somewhere, he quickly found somebody who could. Winson and his team were great! We had 80 guests and all I heard were great things about Winson, Linus and the others on his team. Winson will be a part of all our wedding memories. I strongly recommend Winson Taxi Services, whether it be a small or large group! I look forward to see him again for our next visit! (www.winsontaxiservice.com).

17 helpful votes
“Monrose Taxi in St. Lucia is the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

While in St. Lucia for a day trip from a cruise, we used Monrose Taxi instead of the cruise ship excursion. The main reason was that we needed wheelchair access and the cruise ship excursion was with an outside vendor and was terribly expensive. I found Monrose Taxi on the web by looking up St. Lucia, but you can find him on his own site at monrosetaxi.com. Monrose has many drivers, but we were lucky to have him drive us around beautiful St. Lucia, himself. He showed us many sights we would not have seen without him and we made a few interesting stops at local places including a local bakery, where we were able to try the best bread hot out of the oven, a drive-in volcano and he even bought us a local beer and sugar cane and introduced us to tamarind from a local vendor. We were able to stop and do a little shopping, as well, from some locals at a very beautiful stop. The tour was whatever we wanted to do, but we let him decide where to go as that is his home and he kept us informed about the area and history. He knew people all over the island and it was evident that he was well known and well liked everywhere we went. The cost was very reasonable and our tour was about 3-4 hours. I would highly recommend you using him if you are in St. Lucia for a day or a few days. I will certainly call on him again whenever I go back to beautifup St. Lucia!

Hermosa Beach, CA
2 helpful votes
“Travel Tips for Visiting St. Lucia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

My husband and I visited St. Lucia for a week. Here are my recommendations:

Booking transport on the island
I can not say enough about Winson Taxi Services. Winson provided us with transport to and from the airport as well as some other transport during our stay. Here is his website:
I was able to arrange in advance through his website all of the needed transport inclusive of pricing. Winson is highly professional, efficient, kind and responsible. He is a wealth of knowledge of his country and he cares deeply about his home. It was such a pleasure meeting him, that I now consider him a friend! Thank you Winson for all of your help.

Places to stay
You should decide what type of vacation you are looking for, as that will help you plan your stay on St. Lucia. We went for 2 days of Cricket, so stayed in the North of the island, which is known as more of a party area with lots of bars and restaurants. It is a bit more touristy and has a decidedly different feel from the South. We then moved to the South for the rest of our time on the island. It is more laid-back in this area, with close proximity to the Pitons and the Sulphur Springs. We were glad to experience both aspects of St. Lucia.
In the North we stayed at Bay Gardens Inn
It was perfect for our needs. Small and charming, clean and friendly. They have two other properties, and we were able to take the free shuttle to the Bay Gardens Beach Resort, which is naturally on the beach. So, one of their three properties should be right for you!
In the South we stayed at the Hummingbird Beach Resort
This truly felt like home to us in a very short time. The staff are impeccably friendly, helpful and warm. We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite and it was the most gorgeous view with the sound of the waves lovely in our ears. The food at the restaurant was great. The beach is a few short steps away. There is a beach bar, quick access to water taxis and other beaches, quick access to snorkeling, and a short walk right into the town of Soufriere. We loved Soufriere! i highly recommend this resort. We stayed in a room without air conditioning. It did get warm, but we had a ceiling fan and lots of big windows and doors. However, if you have a hard time with humidity you might want to opt for one of their air conditioned rooms. We loved the Hummingbird and it warrants a return trip!

Day trip to Martinique
My husband really wanted to check out another island, and Martinique is the closest to St. Lucia. We had a great experience with St. Lucian Wave Riders, who do a fabulous day trip to Martinique by catamaran.
There was breakfast on the boat before departure, open bar the whole day, and a delicious lunch served! I am vegetarian, and the chef (Janice) even prepared me my own special entree. We had a short time of duty free shopping while waiting for our passports to be stamped in Martinique, then a historical tour of the main square of Fort de France (or time to shop if you didn't want to do the tour). Then off to a beautiful Martinique beach for snorkeling and swimming. A ride up to Diamond Rock off the coast w/ a bit of history, and then back to St. Lucia. The staff were so awesome. We encountered a bit of a tropical storm en route to Martinique, and the staff really cared for those who got seasick. Every need was met and they were fun to spend time with! All in all it was a great day!

Gros Piton
I love exploring the natural world, and when I found Saint Lucia Heritage Tours, I was ecstatic! Run by local St. Lucians (not foreign corporations), these tours are designed to protect the natural beauty of the island whilst educating and giving one a close experience to the natural world. The money goes back into the local communities. If you are fairly physically fit, you must hike the Gros Piton. It was hot and hard (moderate quickly turned to strenuous), but it was sooo worth it. The view from the top and the sense of accomplishment made it an experience of a lifetime. You have to go up with a guide through Heritage Tours
Our guide, Kaurene, was knowledgeable, sweet and focused. She was able to get us up and down the mountain despite our significant huffing and puffing, and she had a great sense of humor. As you'll see from the website, there are many Heritage Tours across the island, so find one that is right for you and do it!

General Advice & Tips
Try to have EC (Eastern Caribbean Dollars) on hand, with some US dollars available in case. Frequently we encountered no credit card acceptance or broken credit card machines. Things are generally more affordable in EC, but everyone pretty much takes either EC or US. For some reason, our safe key deposit had to be made in US, which we got back at the end of our stays in the hotels. And the fancy resorts (we went to Dasheene for dinner--completely over rated!) tend to give prices in US. Otherwise, it's EC all the way!

Try a water taxi at least once if you can. Fun way of getting around and quick way to check out other beaches. Ask at your hotel if you need help finding a good taxi.

Try local food and drink. Don't be shy and ask locals you chat with where they recommend. There is some great cuisine on this island. Definitely drink lots of Piton Lager, the local beer. And try the local rums, of course! Make sure to try Cocoa Tea. Yummy! There are lots of great seafood dishes (I'm vegetarian so I didn't eat them). My husband loved the traditional salt fish breakfast!

I found this great website to be very comprehensive in giving me all the info I needed on St. Lucia before I traveled:
[-]

St. Lucians are very warm and friendly. They love to chat and we enjoyed many fine conversations during our trip. I felt safe the whole time I was there. If someone tries to sell you something and you are not interested, just saying "no thank you" suffices. Of course, one has to be aware and mindful no matter where one travels in the US or abroad.

I also loved the "drive in" volcano or Sulphur Springs, I loved watching Cricket in the West Indies, I loved the beaches, I loved so much about St. Lucia. It was truly a great vacation, and I thank everyone we met for making our stay so memorable and great.

2 Thank RBasu

Been to St. Lucia? Share your experiences!