“Beautiful resort!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Clovis, New Mexico, United States
“Beautiful resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sandals Regency on our honeymoon in April 2010. We have one of the rooms by the pool, overlooking the ocean. The staff are very nice and friendly, and the food is great! I would recommend this hotel! =)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,760)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Our trip to La Toc went without a problem - a good flight, a 20 min wait in customs (and a sighting of Mick Jagger who had arrived at the airport to vacation at his private home - very exciting for everyone there), and a quick shuttle to the helicopter pad. We immediately boarded the helicopter, and in less than 20 minutes, we were at Castries. This trip was a highlight of our week; seeing views of the island from above was incredible - lots of rain in the rainforest - and the most amazing perspective of the mountains and coastline. We totally recommend adding this onto your holiday, and we will do it again for sure. Better than the 70 minute car/shuttle ride for sure!
At the Castries helicopter landing area, we had a private car waiting to take us to La Toc. Make sure you arrange this transfer directly with Sandals. It was part of our package, so it wasn't a $$ add-on for the private car.
We had booked a butler room, so after a 15 minute car ride and a drive through the resort, we arrived at the Butler/Concierge check in area. We were greeted by friendly staff and a yummy Welcome Cocktail. Again, the wait was short and William (our wonderful butler) whisked us away to our suite on a golf cart.
The one-bedroom suite was spectacular, and on the bluff - gorgeous views of the sea and sky. Our bar had been stocked with all of our favourite things (this was arranged before we arrived). We immediately ordered some room service munchies to tide us over until our 7pm dinner at La Piton restaurant (which William escorted us to and took us to the front of the line...if you have a butler, you don't have to wait in line at the restaurants that don't take reservations - we didn't know this, and were delighted when we found out.) What a great start to a week away from our crazy real lives!
Some more highlights of the week at La Toc:
-the Beach Party: delicious food and fun entertainment. A great time!
-Sandals Select dinner at La Pavilion
-Neptune's for lunch: this is our favourite restaurant and menu. Very laid back, gorgeous location, delicious fresh food. We went 3 times!
-the Bluff pool: quiet, friendly, unbelievable views, fun bar staff, very clean
-Bluff gym: totally empty all the time, so you can do what you want when you want
-the kitties: we LOVED seeing the adorable cats around the resort - friendly and clean, considering they are feral!
-the helicopter ride to the resort (as I've already mentioned)
-the piano bar: fun conversations with other guests from all over, nice vibe in there
-Armando's antipasto salad bar (dinner only) - one of the best salads I've ever had
-the popcorn at Neptune's - make sure you add salt - it is SO DELICIOUS
-breakfast at Armando's - what a wonderful way to start the day
-our totally fun and helpful butlers, Ronald and William.
We stayed up at the Bluff pool for all of the week. We didn't mind the walk from the bluff to the main resort area at all - it was a good thing when we consider how much we were eating and drinking all week! We enjoyed the friends that we met and the fact that the pool wasn't full of people and noise.
I follow a gluten-free diet and informed Sandals of this need before we arrived. At every restaurant, there were several choices on the menu for me, and in some cases the chef came out to talk to me to let me know what else he could do for me. I really appreciated this. Even at Kimono's, the chef cooked an entire meal for me, ahead of the meal that he made for everyone else in the group. Kimonos provided a variety of sauces (including a soy sauce replacement) that were gluten-free.
Towards the end of our trip, we went to the Soon Come Back booth to chat with Arlington about our next vacation with Sandals. We plan to return to La Toc for sure. Next year we will go back to Whitehouse in Jamaica (and book a helicopter trip again). I think we want to go to Antigua as well - but for sure we will return to La Toc very soon. It is so beautiful, the food is delicious, the people are so friendly, and I feel that you get your money's worth. By booking before we left, we locked into the best price for the entire year for our next Sandals vacation. (We also have stayed at Royal Plantation and totally recommend that resort).
Thanks Sandals! We can't wait to come back.

Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here last week (26th through 30th) in one of the Romeo and Juliet Penthouse Suites. I will start by saying the view out of this room was really fabulous. The room itself was OK - there were stains on the couches and ants in the room by the wet bar (even after I asked housekeeping to clean the room thoroughly.) The jacuzzi was very lovely. The shower didn't have a ton of pressure, but still nice enough. Our check-in was delayed even though I did the check-in online, so I'm not sure what happened with that. I personally didn't mind walking up and down the hill, but be aware that the sunset bluff area is removed from the beach/main pool area and you will need to walk some. If walking isn't your thing, this probably isn't the resort for you. The mattress in the room was pretty hard, so if you don't like a firm mattress, be aware that you will get a very firm mattress here.

The food was pretty great overall. Skip Kimonos - all the other reviews about rushing are accurate and the food wasn't above average. The French restaurant was awesome. Gordon's at the Grand was awesome as well and the pizza at Neptunes was great.

The butler service was so-so. They did a nice job of making my boyfriend's birthday special and did a few really nice things like setting up a jacuzzi without our asking. There was an overall unorganized feeling about the service and resort in general however. For instance, we were told Gordon's reservation was at 8:30 but then it turned out to be 6:30 so we were really rushed to make it to the Grand on time. The French restaurant was written on our weekly planner at 7:00 pm but the reservation was actually made for 7:30pm. The shuttles up and down the bluffs may run every 5 minutes or may run every 20 minutes. The buses taking you to excursion pick ups are not well organized at all.

We did the Joe Knows excursion (fabulous and fun even though our boat had some musical "technical difficulties) and we did the Piton climb (HARD!! but well worth your effort.)

I personally liked La Toc's beach better than the Grand's but I love waves and choppy water.

The bus ride there really IS that bad (and yes, I pre-medicated with Dramamine) so we took the helicopter back to the airport, which was well worth the cost. Also, be forewarned if you do the Piton climb, the ride over is about 2 hours and the same back.

I did see Sparkle at the spa - and she was wonderful. I highly recommend the combo facial/massage package. If you don't want an early wake up reminder from the spa, be sure to let them know when you book your appointment. We got a wake up call at 8am to remind me of a 1pm appointment, which did not make us happy. Be careful also to check your bill to make sure any spa credits you have are applied to the bill - I had to ask the front desk to redo my bill.

Overall, I loved the island of St. Lucia - it was gorgeous and the people were super friendly. I had a wonderful vacation with my boyfriend. I'm not sure that I'll be staying at another Sandals though - I've stayed at other all inclusives who do a better job, with cleaner rooms, for far less price.

2 Thank Jme102
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I'm not sure where the negative comments come from but it must be those who just need something to complain about. Sandals has a beautiful resort here. Ya the airport ride is a bit much but there is nothing Sandals can do about that. We spent 7 days at Regency La Toc and we had a wonderful time. I have nothing to complain about, it was quite simply - great. "Go" that's all I can say.

Room Tip: The oceanviews are the best of course. We were in the main building that had an oceanview, it was ve...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We had 11 days in St. Lucia for our honeymoon. It was a beautiful and the people were amazing but there were a couple ups and downs. After the crazy van drive from the airport - I say crazy because I though we were going over the side of the mountain a couple times. I know the drivers know what they're doing but my nerves were shot by the time we got to the resort. We booked the honeymoon regency suite with private plunge pool and concierge service. When we arrived we were whisked away to the consierge office where we received our room info and dining info. The people in there were great to deal with. We were taken to our room where we were expecting a beautiful updated clean awesome suite that we saw on the website and paid a small fortune for. What we got was a dingy dark outdated stained and just old room and the plunge pool was freezing and our view was of a overgrown bush. We were floored. It was nothing like the pictures online. That was pretty upsetting as we were staying for 11 days and it was our honeymoon and we spent a lot of money on this trip. We went back to the consierge office and she could tell we weren't happy and although it took 4 days, she upgraded our room to a 2-story villa with private pool up on the bluff. The second highest rated room at the resort. It was amazing! The view was unreal. We saw for miles and the sunsets were great. We were very happy that they did that for us.

Pros: The golf course was great, we went about 5 times. The course is in good shape and the caddies were pretty fun.

The food was amazing. The private dinner was the best by far, they know how to cook a steak. All of the other restaurants were great and we really loved the pizza at Neptune's.

The pools and bars were great, a little tough to get a lounger without a butler but it was still nice and clean. As well the spa was awesome. We got the couples massage. Well worth it.

We did the ATV tour which was so much fun. We highly recommend that. As well when we visited the Sandals Grande we rented jet skis which was super fun, especially on a rainy day, I mean you're gonna get wet anyways, you might as well have fun doing it.

The views off the bluff was amazing! We got to see all the cruise liners and your boats coming in. And the sunsets were amazing. It was pretty quiet and relaxing.

The people were so friendly and helpful on and off the resort. It's nice that they embrace the tourists and make them comfortable.

Entertainment was good. Chocolatefest, beach party, live music, sandals appreciation night... It was all good. No night club but we were totally ok with that. It was nice just to hang in the bar and meet new people.

Weather was nice every day except for a rain shower every now and then. We made the best of it though.

Cons: No room service. Unless you have a butler you can't get room service. I didn't like that because there were a couple days where I was so sun burnt that I couldn't leave the room and my new hubby had to get me food. You'd think a Sandals would have that seeing as more basic resorts have it.

We overpaid. Don't use a travel agent, it's cheapest to do it on the Sandals website.

Pools, it was hard to get a lounger unless you had a butler waking up at 5am to save it for you. And then there were loungers saved all day long and not used until like 4pm. That sucked.

I'm neutral on the volcano/springs tour. The boat trip was fun, but they advertise that you get to see the mud bath springs and the volcano until you get on the boat and then they make you choose one or the other. Eventhough they're like a minute walk apart. The volcano was nothing really to see, but it smelled bad. The people that went in the mud bath said it was good. The boat stopped to snorkel on the way back, my husband saw lots of cool stuff but the guys off the beach that basically surrounded the boat in order to sell stuff was a little scary. They were pushy and rude. Seeing more of St. Lucia and their culture was definitely the highlight of that day trip. Shop around with Joe knows and son of Sam tours, their people are on the beach. You don't have to book through the resort.

The beach at La Toc wasn't great, the beach at the Grande was much nicer.

There was one incident out last night where I found my comb and brush matted with black hair. I have white blonde hair so it was pretty obvious that it was from housekeeping so we went to the consierge office to let them know. They had also used our ipod dock/radio while they were cleaning, which wasnt that big a deal but still not Sandals standard. We didn't want anyone getting fired since the people had been so nice during our stay but didn't want it happening to anyone else. The consierge office was helpful and they ended up paying for our private car back to the airport - hurray! No crazy drive back to the airport! :).

Overall we lived the people the food and St. Lucia. I think next time we might try the Grande, the beach is nicer. Even with the few things that bothered is, they did everything they could to make it better and we appreciated that and it made our honeymoon that much better. We would recommend La Toc for the avid golfer and for the view from the bluff.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Heatherwillems11
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just got back from a 2 week visit to St. Lucia...the resort the staff for the most part was very nice and helpful odd one was a little off...but no one can be pefect all the time. Food was very good...LOVED the French and Italian restaurants, would recommend missing the Japanese one (not the best show not to mention felt like a heard of cattle....you have 1 hour to be entertained and fed,if you run over, they put you outside on side tables for your desert, then move the next group in, not the best way to take care of you). The pool was very busy (so get up before 7am to get a seat) and not enough umbrella's for the number of people they have their, the chairs are so close to each other you have to climb onto them by the front as you can't get between them. We usually stayed on the beach. The beach was very nice...soft sand and easy to walk into the ocean (not to many rocks along the waterfront). Problem with the beach though is not enough servers coming down to see if we wanted any drinks...that was a dissappointment we had to treck up to the bar everytime we wanted something (other resorts have service on or close to the beach). If you want a balcony make sure you ask for one...they don't have many and we didn't get one and I really missed having coffee outside in the morning, another note about the room....you don't have a mini bar in the room and I had been upgraded. I think the spa staff are on commission as they are always walking around trying to book in spa treatments. So for the overall price we paid for this trip I would probably not go back...I think we spent a large sum of money and we didn't feel like it was worth it, but if you get a deal and live closer to St. Lucia....it would be ok.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor of the main building, the room was quiet but make sure you check the a/c hi...
1 Thank Dawnerson
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Excellent variety of dining options - food was generally ok. The french restaurant was excellent!! I was impressed that even motorized sports were included. For the amount of money we spent though, I was expecting spectacular but everything was just fine. You won't be disappointed you went, but don't expect anything extraordinary just because Sandals is more expensive. We have stayed at other all-inclusive resorts on other caribbean islands and had practically the same level of service and amenities (minus motorized water sports) for much less. As with most places, some staff members were great, others not so much - although it seemed we ran into more "not so great" staff. We visited all three properties - La Toc was the most lively. Halcyon had a great seafood restaurant. We went in November, so I don't remember the names of the restaurants. We had fun, and I think my review would have been more positive, if I did not expect better than average.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building - Building 3 - I think. They are closer to everything - beach, po...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
17.4 km away
12.1 km away
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!