“PEACEFUL SETTING, GREAT HOSTS”
Review of Casa del Vega

Casa del Vega
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Casa Del Vega is a beautifully located guest house that sits on sloping land on the Vigie peninsular overlooking the entrance to Castries Harbour. This gives you a view of fishing boats, yachts, ferries, cargo ships and cruise liners coming and going.The grounds are planted in a variety of local fruit trees and you access the sand and pebble beach via a stone staircase through this garden. The rocky underwater features should interest snorklers.

This is a family guest house developed and added to over the years so the rooms vary in size and 'here and there' location within the property. There are three small standard rooms that open out onto a passage/verandah facing inland without views. But guests here can use the main lounge and beautiful communial porch overlooking the bay and each one has a TV, a small fridge and electric kettle. There is a convenient cold water fountain in the main lounge.There are also four studios with kitchenettes and three apartments of two, three and five rooms each with kitchens.

I came for the weekend from a neighbouring island and had a good time. It was nice to start the day with a hearty breakfast with a choice of eggs, coffee, juice, meats and salad and cereal, prepared on one of the open dining areas by the charming hostess Marvlyn Compton who is a font of island information and advice.

Being in an up-market housing area it is quiet and peaceful with easy walks to the historic barracks and gun emplacements nearby and to the scenic Vigie lighthouse up on the hill. It may be too quet and out of the way for some, but you can easily order a taxi or rent a car to go to the more active spots if that's what you want. Or if you want an action-packed party time this simply may not be the place for you and you should be at Rodney Bay!

Walk about 400 meters to the French and Venezuelan Embassies and there is 'Friends Cafe' which serves great snack lunches and sandwiches. At my request they wrapped an order for me to have as dinner later on. A little further down the hill and you get to the airport terminal facilities and bar or try out the beach bars and swim on lovely Vigie beach.I actually did not go beyong this peninsular for the whole weekend, but then again I wanted peaceful relaxation!

Remember in your assessment that this is a family guest house, not a four star resort, and naturally the amenities are the simple essentials but they are clean and the small number of staff are polite and keen to help.

Room Tip: Studio rooms and appartments with views overlooking the bay would be best but the small standard roo...
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Lennox H

Reviewed 1 March 2016

You feel at home staying here, and can get an airport pick up for the 5min drive. this is a good choice for an overnight or a base once you have a car to move around. room was very very simple but fine for me. i would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2016
Reviewed 23 February 2016 via mobile

I wish I had more to say about Case del Vega. We arrived at 9pm off the ferry from Dominica and left at 7:30am en route to Soufriere.

So if you are looking for a quick overnight place to stay as a layover. Don't stay here. It was a longish taxi ride from the ferry. Not worth it.

However, I can say I wish I stayed longer. The view was amazing, the rooms clean and comfortable, the people really nice. I think we would have been happy here for a longer stay.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2016

I would like to start by thinking each one of the staff !!!! I am so grateful to have found this place to stay.

At first I landed at the Hewanorra Airport and I stayed in the south of St Lucia in another guesthouse. I wanted to go home after the second day.

Then somehow, after many tears and prayers, I ended up in Casa Del Vega!

Being a hotel management student, and an experienced hotel worker, I got to say WOW ! The care and the personalized service I received left me speechless! The hotel owner along with her grand children knew I was alone and they gave me extra care! It made me sad to leave!

The guesthouse is very well kept; the rooms are very clean and spacious; the restaurant is spotless and has an amazing view; everything around the house is tidy; and not to forget my favorite spot: the lounge which has this indescribable view of the sea.

The food in the restaurant is delicious and the girls working up there are so sweet and caring towards the guests. I will NEVER forget them!

The owner was always here for me when needed, even when I had booked a tour, she gave me a ride to where the boat was waiting for me. Again, I was overwhelmed by the care! Thank you soooooo much!

I have to say, this place is amazing! Not to forget the safety I felt when I was there! I recommend everyone to go there and especially young women traveling solo! They will take care of you until the very last second!

I will be coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank QuePasso
Reviewed 27 January 2016

We spent one night at the Casa del Vega in transit to another island. It was a good choice. The rooms are large, clean and well appointed. The hotel overlooks the bay and has a small but lovely beach. Breakfast was included and good. Wifi is included and worked fine. There is a nice lounge open to all residents, comfortable and great views. The owner, Ms. Merlyn, does a great job. She met us at the airport and drove us to the hotel. She also drove us to the ferry terminal the next day.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2016

This was my wife and I's first visit to St. Lucia. We decided to spend a night at a local place before starting our week at the Sandals La Toc resort. We could not be more happy with Miss Merlyn and our stay.

The room was very comfortable. A short path led us down to an outstanding beach area, where we found coconuts and beach glass. Miss Merlyn and her granddaughters treated us like royalty...they are people of the highest caliber.

We especially enjoyed breakfast the next morning, cheerfully served on a veranda overlooking the Caribbean. I would highly recommend this property...value for the money is beyond question. Thank you, Miss Merlyn.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2016

This is an excellent choice that is about 5 minutes away from the hotel. The host, Merlyn, gave us a pickup from and to the George Charles airport (5 USD total) and was very hospitable. We chose this place for a one-night stop over in St Lucia and will not hesitate to return in future.
The room was huge and clean with a basic bed but large bathroom. Hot water takes a little time but it's there. We had a room facing the sea in one of the apartments so we sat out on the balcony (same as in the hotel's profile photo) with a BEAUTIFUL view of the bay. Woke up to the amazing sound of waves tumbling at the shore on the small, pebbly, cute beach below, which we visited during later on in the day by going down some steps. Breakfast was home-made, local style, and copious: omlet, fresh fruit, sausages, bread, fried plantain, coffee, juice...
Recommended!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in an apartment with the balcony overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
7.6 km away
7.9 km away
The Ginger Lily Hotel
The Ginger Lily Hotel
#6 of 15 in Gros Islet

Been to Casa del Vega? Share your experiences!