Whoever said East Winds was like a private house party described it perfectly. All I might add is that there is no pressure to join in or mingle with other guests if that is not what you want. The atmosphere is one of acceptance and genteel conviviality, neither trendy nor slick and it suited us perfectly. The resort is certainly not for everyone and it is immediately obvious that that is not its intention. Trying to be all things to all people would entirely destroy the perfect tone they have achieved. A big box resort this is definitely not. If you are looking for lots of activities and entertainment, stay away from East Winds.
In addition to the big things, they do the little things well - Perrier (not just still, bottled water) in the frig, little personal baskets of snacks with drinks (cheese puffs, baked coconut, pistachios), attractive clay pots for refuse unobtrusively placed about the lovely gardens. Someone has given East Winds a lot of tender attention.
The marvellous food is what sets this place apart. We are foodies and couldn't have asked for more delicious meals. Each meal, including breakfast, was the highlight of every day, hands down, with the dining room magically transformed at night into a romantic, twinkling fairyland. Given the high quality of the food, however, we were a bit disappointed with the wine selection, particularly the red wines. Knowing nothing about the availability and prices of the wines they have to choose from, this is perhaps an unfair comment but we know wine and fancied we could have made better choices. We ordered from the Manager's List (extra cost) at 4 or the 7 dinners and found those selections better enhanced the truly exceptional food. But, in all fairness, we noticed that very few others did the same so we assume that wine is perhaps just more important to us than to the other guests.
Our deluxe cottage was comfortable, tasteful, ultra quiet and well-appointed.
As others have noted, the staff is well-trained and friendly but never intrusive. Samantha and Chrisanthamus were our personal favourites.
In short, East Winds was just what we were looking for and wondering if we would ever find - a tasteful, small, all-inclusive resort where excellent food is paramount, trendiness and noise (no obnoxious, piped-in elevator music!) absent, accommodations luxurious but never over-the-top.
Well done, East Winds. We're hooked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Saint Lucia’s best kept secret and immerse yourself in true Caribbean luxury. East Winds Saint Lucia is a breathtaking garden-by-the-sea, planted on the island's most picturesque sandy bay. Our Island Hideaway is Saint Lucia's original boutique resort featuring 30 cottage style suites, tucked away amongst lush plants, trees and a kaleidoscope of colourful bird-life. East Winds is home to what many consider the finest beach on the island and our guests share it with very few others just like them; travellers looking for personalised care and all-inclusive service in the most authentic of Caribbean experiences. Come experience the Caribbean the way it was meant to be experienced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline and Expedia so you can book your East Winds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds St. Lucia/Gros Islet