We travelled independently, spending 6 nights at Sandals La toc (in the north) followed by 5 nights at the Hummingbird in Soufrieire.
Having lived and worked in St Lucia for a few years in the early 1980's, and not having returned until now, we were shocked at some of the development in the north including American style shopping malls around Rodney bay. But Soufriere seems to have changed little over the years and we found the Hummingbird to be a very freindly, locally owned and run hotel with a traditionally St Lucian feel.
We ate several meals at the Hummingbird and thought the food was good and reasonably priced compared to other larger hotels. Lot's of local fish dishes on the menu (as well as chicken and other meats) served with mainly local vegitables and fruits. Drinks are not cheap but less expensive than nearby larger hotels.
Excellent views of Petit Piton and Soufriere bay from our room and from the rather nice pool area.
We took a superior room, which was quite basically furnished but adequate, with en suite, a large ceiling fan and very large comfortable double bed with comprehensive mosquito netting. It's likely you will get a few bites though.
Very enjoyable local band one night with everyone encouraged to get up and dance to local rhythms.
Dived twice with the small Padi dive centre run by Chester, located on beach at foot of hotel grounds. Good well maintained equipment, reasonably priced and enjoyable diving, although not as "strictly supervised" as I've been used to elsewhere.
We had hired a car which made it easy to visit some of the nearby attractions, beaches and restaurants. There are some first class restaurants, resorts and attractions in the area, but mostly very pricy. The Dasheen restaurant (10 minute drive) has magnificent views and first class cuisine by international standards, but expect to pay over 100 US Dollars per person for dinner (or a lot more if you splash out on some reasonable wine !).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hummingbird Beach Resort is a small, intimate resort, located in the scenic town of Soufriere on the south western part of St. Lucia, home to the famous pitons – a world heritage site. Hummingbird Beach Resort has eight (8) beautifully decorated rooms, most of which offer magnificent views of the ocean and the pitons. We also have a Country Cottage which accommodates a family of four (4) comfortably, it is fully furnished and offers breathtaking views of the pitons. We are world renowned for our French Creole Cuisine, award winning cocktails and beautiful batik studio. We are located on the beach and also have a fresh water swimming pool. We do arrange a wide range of tours and excursions. Spa treatments can be made available on request. Let us host your dream wedding or wedding reception dinner. Our tropical island setting and renowned hospitality combine to make your Caribbean wedding and honeymoon an unforgettable experience. Make the charming Hummingbird Beach Resort your choice of accommodation in Soufriere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Booking.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Hummingbird Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hummingbird Beach Hotel
- Hummingbird Beach Soufrière
- Hummingbird Beach Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere