“Yeah, it's as amazing as everyone says”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Yeah, it's as amazing as everyone says”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We visited in August of 2011 (waited too long to review). We stayed a week in a Sun Sanctuary even though I had originally booked a Moon. I think in the off-season it's likely that you'll be upgraded.

There were no mosquitos. The weather was amazing. It rained maybe 20-30 minutes each day.

My favorite part of the experience was running on the treadmill in the morning at the small fitness center, then returning to the room and jumping right into the pool, followed by breakfast with my wife delivered by our Major Domo. Having returned from Afghanistan very recently, I couldn't possibly overstate how incredibly wonderful this experience was.

Finally, the food is unbelievable. The chef was young, creative and obviously passionate about creating exciting, locally sourced and inspired cuisine. I wish we had done the cooking class because our brief discussion with him at a cocktail hour was honestly one of the most memorable moments of the entire vacation. It's inspiring to meet someone who is so passionate about what they are doing and interested in developing a new generation of local chefs.

The drive to and from the airport is horrible. But you'll survive - suck it up, you're on vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank dorko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Saskatoon
Reviewed 28 February 2012

There is nowhere left to go. We just arrived back. I know we will never find a resort as good as this one. Top to bottom, the best experience one could ever have on a holiday. One trip to this resort is for one week is worth 5 weeks or more of all inclusive holiday in other destinations. Where do we go from here. No holiday will ever be the same now that we will compare it to the experience one has at Jade Mountain. You have to go here!

Room Tip: JE1 - Wow, but you cannot go wrong with a room choice here.
7 Thank Randy K
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in a "Moon Sanctuary" at Jade Mountain Resort.

We've been fortunate enough to travel to some pretty high-end properties, but Jade Mountain is like nothing else.

Perched high on a mountainside, there are only 29 rooms (or sanctuaries, as they call them). They offer not only extraordinary luxury and service, it's in one of the most spectacular settings we've ever seen - a direct view of the Caribbean Sea and the famous "Pitons" of Saint Lucia.

Your private infinity pool is half-inside and half-outside of the room. Each suite is different, and have 15 foot ceilings, exotic hardwoods, supersized whirlpool, netted luxury bed, and tropical greenery that grows out of the rock walls into your room.

Your assigned 24/7 pager access is to not one but two outstanding butlers, there to look after every possible whim. There's no need for any contact with the front desk, room service, tour desk, or any other resort services - it's all done through your butlers (even check-in).

The fourth "wall" doesn't exist, replaced by the outside environment....you literally live outdoors 24/7.

The View - absolutely unbelievable. Nature - ditto. (awoke each morning to hummingbirds and doves).

This place is literally indescribable - bring your wallet, but give yourselves the treat of a lifetime - just go there, no review will ever even come close to conveying the spectacular nature of this resort.

Room Tip: Sun or Moon
10 Thank konaregular
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Words can not begin to describe experience of staying here. We arrived via water taxi from previous resort around noon. We were shuttled up the very steep driveways thru Anse Chastenet to Jade. Our room was ready which was so nice. We were in a Star sancturary (JA2). What an incredible place and incredible view. You do not want to leave your sanctuary!
Our Major Duomo checked us in, gave us our cell phone to contact him with whatever we needed. They took great care of us during stay although didn't use them too much. But our fridge was stocked with what we wanted and snacks brought each day.
We ate dinner at the Jade Mountain club which was very good and just a beautiful setting. Service somewhat slow but doesn't matter as much since in a beautiful setting, one night it was unfriendly though. The sleeping environment definitely could take some getting used to or be issue for some. The water from pool flows over the edge sounding like a fairly loud waterfall. We did have them turn off in the middle of second night which helps but still hear flowing water from the runoff area from other sanctuary pools.
We made sure to spend time in sanctuary and truly enjoyed it but definitely go out and enjoy the beach and snorkeling. We walked down to beach, and while very steep it wasn't too long a walk-good exercise!
Not to be missed: go to Anse Mamim for lunch – great burgers and just a exotic beach setting. Have breakfast in your sanctuary. Enjoy plunge pool (ours was in sun part of day so water temperature was fine)
Highly recommend this for a very special celebration. We are saving our money for a return!

Room Tip: suggest getting at least a star sanctuary so you have a plunge pool.
7 Thank nanorran
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Where to start....like most other reviewers, we thought Jade Mountain was absolutely amazing. We spent a week in JA2 for our honeymoon on the total romance package (which we definitely recommend!) and are sad to be back at home.

We got there and were immediately greeted by Manuel, who helped us to our room and gave us a tour the next morning. The rooms are awesome, like nothing you've ever imagined. Yes, there is the parking lot below, but with the Pitons right there, you never notice it. You can see the Pitons from your bed, the tub, the shower, and yes, even the toilet. The three-wall experience is incredible. We personally enjoyed waking up to sunshine and chirping birds, even if it was at 6:30 am. It's part of the experience. The pool is fresh water, and recycles 5 times a day. It's very refreshing after walking back to your room from the beach each afternoon (if you choose to walk - there's also a free shuttle, which we never took). Our major domos were Allain and Vito, and they were the best. They brought us breakfast every morning (which is enormous and delicious) and always had our mini fridge stocked with drinks.

Housekeeping came twice a day, which was more than necessary, but was definitely nice. There were always plenty of towels and the room was always super clean. The bathrooms on the beach were also always clean and stocked.

The food at the Jade Mountain Club was out of this world. We loved trying the different local items on the menu each night. The wait staff was also incredible. Everyone was so polite, attentive, and friendly. We had either Earl or Jerome most nights, and both were awesome. Jerome even made us a CD of local music he listens to. Eric, the sommelier, will come by to chat and will create a whole food/wine pairing if you'd like. We've never had such amazing service.

For lunch, we either ate at the beach bar or had the burgers at Anse Mamin. Andrina and Flora at Anse Mamin were always so friendly and made the best drinks. Again, we've never had such great service.

The beach is worth the walk. There are individual huts with lounge chairs, and the staff will escort you to a hut and provide you with plenty of towels. They will also assist you with kayaks, etc. Abo was very helpful!

The beach bar is great - you're about three feet from the water. We drank mostly the local lager, Pitons. They're good. If you want something special, just ask Pamela. She's been there 30-something years and is always smiling. Tyron (and maybe Ames) will sing for you, and Elena, Kerwin, and Ester were the best servers.

We went diving for the first time here, and fell in love with it. For our introductory dive, we had Victor, the human submarine. He holds the world record for number of dives, and has spent something like 6.4 years total underwater. Jade is truly lucky to have him. Another scuba instructor, Zita, took us on a guided snorkel trip which was awesome because of her knowledge and willingness to keep going until we were ready to stop. Everyone at the scuba center does everything, and they all do it with a smile. Captain Kerwin and Nicholi took us on an amazing half day sailing trip, complete with snorkeling between the two Pitons (and rum punch).

Jade Mountain is the perfect mix of privacy, great food, an amazing room, and fun water activities. You really have everything you could ever ask for. But to us, what really made the trip was the staff. We have never met such wonderful people, and really miss them. Nick Troubetzkoy is lucky to have such amazing people working at his resorts, and so is anyone who visits Jade Mountain or Anse Chastanet.

Thank you, everyone at Jade Mountain. We'll definitely be back.

8 Thank J_Kampas
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 25 February 2012

As many reviews have said, the resort is amazing, the food is wonderful and the staff is excellent. I want to review a few more details in other areas.

The local roads are steep, narrow and windy. The last 2 miles is a one lane, steep, windy, no guard rail, dirt road. The staff is quick to explain this prevents locals and visitors from invading the beach area. The trip from ULF was 1hr and about 1:40 to SLU airports. I did get a little nausea on the twisting ride to the resort. I would recommend you consider the helicopter. This can be arranged by the resort.

Our room on Jade Mountain, JD2, was truly spectacular. Per my iPhone app, it was also 289ft above the beach. Walking up from the beach is the equivalent to climbing up the stairs of a 20 story building. I am 50 years old and in average health and physical shape. I was out of breath after the climb up. Definitely consider taking the shuttle to your room. It is easy to call for the shuttle from your firefly phone (provided by the Domo), dive shop or the beach bar. The shuttle arrives within minutes. The walk down is steep but easy.

The infinity pool is amazing. The pool is not heated and the water temp was 77F. This was great during the day, but cold for an after dinner dip. The deep end of the pool is 5ft and is great to hang my arms over the edge and watch the sea. It is fresh water and not chlorinated. They exchange the water 6 times a day thru a sand filter. As a result, there is a constant white noise of the water going over the edge of the pool. The open wall allows the sound of the breeze and birds to fill the room. If you need quiet to sleep, I would bring ear plugs.

We were surprised that there were no bugs in our room and no insect bites on the beach.

We had breakfast in our room each morning, lunch on the beach and dinner at Jade Mountain. Dinner was always fantastic and the menu change each day.

I am a certified diver and did 3 dives a day. The staff at Scuba St Lucia is right on the beach and very friendly and professional. All dives (expect wreck dive on Friday) are drift dives where the group follows the DM. If you have a dive computer, the DM only asks that you keep him in sight. The carol reefs are in good shape but this is not diving in Little Cayman or Turks and Cacaos. The reef starts at 40 feet and goes to 100ft+ and each dive was 45 to 50 minutes. Each trip is a one tank dive and you return to the beach for your surface interval. This was great since my wife does not dive and we would sit on the beach between dives. The beach staff quickly learned our routine and had a place setup for my wife when she arrived. It also makes it easy to dive when you wanted (8:30, 10:30 or 2). I am an experienced diver and enjoyed these dives.

We used the All Inclusive (AI) package. All food and drink was included except a few items which are clearly marked on the menu. Bottled Wine at your table was extra. To be honest, wine by the glass was very good and the staff never let the glass get empty. The “World Largest Prawn” side dish was additional cost. We tried it one night just to see. It is a large prawn and we had a lot of fun with the waiter on the presentation. A few of the bar’s specialty drinks were extra, but we drank all the wine, boat drinks and after dinner liqueurs we wanted all on the plan. You sign for everything and they deduct it from your final bill on the last day. I had no surprises on my final invoice.

We enjoyed not having a TV or radio in the room. One night, a family member needed to reach us and called the resort. They were transferred to the firefly phone without issues. Although the resort states the Wi-Fi is only available in the library, I had a good Wi-Fi signal in our room. I was in a common area talking loudly on my cell phone when I was very politely asked by a staff member to move from the public area. I had no issues with is incident and even appreciated their concern for all their guests.

There is little to no night life which is fine with us. I am not sure I would want to deal with the road to the resort every night if you are looking for a late night on the town. Fi you are looking for after hours action, this is not the place.

Final note: I was never asked for a tip or felt it was expected. There was no place to even add additional money when signing the bill. I did give some money to the dive crew on the last day as a thank you. I left an envelope with some cash for the head Domo and asked him to distribute as he felt best.

Room Tip: Star Suite is excellent. Moon and Sun are basically the same but larger area and pool.
15 Thank j2bfisher
CT
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I spent a week here and had, overall, a great trip. There are some issues that I will touch on but for the most part it was an over the top vacation. To start with the view from our sun sanctuary was nore then can be described. Waking up every morning to the Pitons was out of this world. The pool and the sun deck made for wonderful mornings sunning ourselves in total privacy.

The butlers Alain and Vito went out of their way to ensure that everything we needed was provided. They took care of everything from the helicopter transfers to our nightly dinning. They were always glad to help and were just a call away. It was nice to have the ability to have them there when needed but never intrusive.

Food was very good, some of the fish was overcooked but that is something that I think is more regional then anything else. Most islands we have been to seem to have the same problem. The dinners at the Jade Club were of a consistant high quality and varried every night. I had one of the best apps that I have ever eaten with the Conch Ceveche, unfortunately ( in this case!) since the meals change every night I was only able to have it once. We did the wine pairing dinner one night and it is well worth the extra cost. It had to be the best wine dinner we have ever been to. Breakfast in the room every morning was great and the amount of food was staggering.

As an over 40 overweight person I was able to deal with the stairs with no problem. For my exercise I went from Jade down to the second beach (Anse Mamim) and back each morning, it was a 30 to 35 minute walk to complete. I felt that the stairs are not as bad as others have stated and if I can do it most others should be able to.

We did have an issue with a sewage smell coming from the sink and it took 2 days for it to be corrected. I felt that the management was less then 5 star in dealing with the problem, especially the night manager. It was taken care of in the end and was the only main issue we had. For a 5 star resort I felt that there were a few fit and finish issues that could have been done better (broken tiles, stained furniture, etc.) but those things in no way detracted from the overall success of the property.

The other semi issue was the nocturnal tree frog living in our room. It kept us up for part of 2 or 3 nights but that is what you have to pay for no 4th wall. The birds in the morning were wonderful but listening to a tree from from 2AM to 5AM was no fun.

We will be going back next year and staying in a Galaxy suite so my complaints should be taken for what they are.

15 Thank KenLCt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
4.3 km away
23.8 km away
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!