“Just Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“Just Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is one of the most beautiful and unique vacation experiences in the Caribbean. We honeymooned at Anse Chastenet (before Jade was completed), and have been back four times since to AC/Jade. The roooms at Jade have one of the most spectactular views you'll ever see, and as long as you're OK with the open wall concept, it has to be the best experience in the Caribbean. Food at both AC and Jade is wonderful, and as previous reviewers have noted, Jade is definitely a step up in terms of quality.

The staff could not be friendlier, and the guided tours with Meno are always one of the highlights of our trip. We've recommended this place to at least a half dozen friends, and the first thing all of them have done on their way home is call us from the airport to thank us.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JeffM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

You know that place you go to, when the dentist is drilling a hole in your head, or you are waiting in line at the DMV? Well, my happy place is Jade Mountain. I imagine myself there with my husband, sitting in the infinity pool, each with a glass of Champagne. I also imagine myself with the rocking body of the chick in the brochure, but I digress. What I am getting at is that I cannot imagine anyplace better than Jade Mountain. It's worth every penny because you cannot get this type of Caribbean luxury anywhere else. A room with an open wall is not for everyone, so if you want a sterile room with rocking air conditioning, look elsewhere. If you want an authentic experience, with an amazing view, then Jade Mountain is your spot. Also, make sure to sign up for Meno's free tours. He's the best tour guide on the planet in my opinion. I can't wait to return again. Speaking of which, Jade Mountain REALLY rollls out the red carpet for returning guests!

Room Tip: Splurge for the infinity pool. You'll thank yourself when you're enjoying happy hour in the...
6 Thank Kellie M
Epsom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Words cannot say how fantastic Jade Mountain really is ... it really is truly AMAZING!
We stayed there for two nights after spending a week at Le Sport - The Body Holiday - on the North of the island which was equally as nice but a totally different animal.
Jade was very peaceful and on the second evening, we walked down to the beach restaurant at the adjoining sister hotel, Anse Chastenat and had a very nice meal followed by dancing to great live music and chatting to fellow travellers in the Treehouse bar. The people staying at Jade however, seemed content with spending time alone with each other! We rarely saw any other guests although they were full at the time.

Having said this, you are free to use all the facilities at both of the hotels so you can have the best of both worlds.

Would we go back? YES - certainly! And you MUST have a room with an infinity pool, it's worth the extra money for a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: You must have one with three walls and a pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jackiequinn
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was not a 5 star experience - by any stretch of the imagination!!
Our room was tired and worn.
The staff were pleasant and kind but not well trained.
The owner was rude and dismissive when we complained.
The beach and other facilities were 3 star at best!!
We paid £1000 per day and was worth about £250 at best.
Never again. It was 7 days too long!
Very surprised that top end travel companies feature this property.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
33 Thank TrudiRD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I'm glad we did this trip. But when you pay this kind of rate you expect exclusivity. This hotel doesn't provide that because it shares the beach and some of the facilities with the cheaper and older hotel which is located at the bottom.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank StanCo98
Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

So much has been written in reviews about Jade Mountain. As I read through them after staying there for 5 nights in a Sun room (JE3)… I think the reviews tend to over-hype things a bit. Is this a 5 star resort? Absolutely – it’s one of the nicest places we’ve ever stayed. Is this the best resort we’ve ever stayed at? No, I wouldn’t say it that way – I would say it’s as good as, but not necessarily better than my stays at Cabo’s Esperanza or Anguilla’s Cap Juluca. I would say that in my travels, these three are kinda all equally good. Here’s some comments about what we liked and didn’t like from our stay, with some advice mixed in as if I were talking to a friend about to travel there:

What’s to like:

The Room – first and foremost, your room is the most amazing thing about Jade. Plan on spending the bulk of your time there. Have breakfast brought in every morning. Have your spa treatment done in your room (it’s worth the small upcharge and the treatment rooms at the Jade spa are kinda ordinary). Get an afternoon tea service brought in one day. Break up the day with an occasional foray over to Anse Mamin beach to read your book under a palm and enjoy a delicious cheeseburger. Or venture out for a half day tour of the Volcano, go for a hike, or out on a boat for some snorkeling. But spend at least half your time in your room.
The food at the Jade Club – eat all your evening meals here, with the exception of the Beach Party. The Jade Club food is really good and never the same, and the service is a clear level above the other AC restaurants, and it’s so convenient to walk to/from your room. Sunsets weren’t that great the week we were there, but try a cocktail on the upper deck (above the “club”) for sunset before dinner. The Beach Party (and the “managers cocktail mixer” that happens the hour before) was really nice and worthwhile – tables set up on the beach, and the food was of the same caliber as the Jade Club. The Beach Party service during dinner was definitely not up to par with the Jade Club, but hey, you’re sitting on a beach in the moonlight having a gourmet meal – so the service can be slow and not spoil the evening.

What’s not to like:

Being scheduled - we felt a bit pushed to be on a schedule the day when we arrived. I don’t think we’d been in our room for more than a minute or two when we were pushed to start scheduling our next 24 hours. “Can we schedule you for a 7pm dinner this evening?” Sure, whatever, my mind is distracted by this room that has the most amazing lifelike portrait of mountain/ocean view. “Be sure to complete a breakfast form and select a time so you can attend the 10am orientation resort session.” Uhh.. ok… seems weird – that we have to go to attend a class to get basic info on the resort? Do you have time shares here that you’re selling (no, they don’t, but the way it was presented made me think of that might be the case)? After a rather sleepless first night ( that open wall is amazing, but a little unsettling the first few nights), we kinda came to our senses and started to push back a bit on the scheduling – so we phoned our butler a half hour before the orienation and said, we just weren’t feeling up to it right now - can we do it a bit later? No – it’s only offered at 10am, though you could do it the next day. Ok, oh well, so we skipped the Jade 101 session – I guess if there’s something we can’t figure out, we’ll just ask. Talked to a few other guests later about what we missed during orientation, and they said something to the effect of “Nothing – it was a lot of walking around that we weren’t dressed for and not much information, really.”. In retrospect, for a resort with such an emphasis on service, it seems kinda strange that your butler wouldn’t take you on a walk around at your convenience.

Housekeeping timing – At first I thought some of the attention to the timing of our activities was so the butler could figure out when housekeeping could be scheduled. But it seemed like more often than not, they would show up just after we returned from a long outing, or while we were trying to get ready to leave for an outing. There’s a “bag” you can hang on your door to request housekeeping, and we tried that a couple of times when we went out, but it didn’t seem to work. Perhaps we were supposed to call our butler and tell him when we wanted the room made up – but that’s not really something I want to be worrying about when I’m on vacation.

Other comments:

There were a couple of electrical convertors already in place in the outlets on either side of the bed. They had a place for a US style plug on top, and the standard UK style plug in front. They are still 220V (or 240V, I don't remember) of course, but were handing for plugging in chargers for our phone, ipad, laptop, etc. I only brought one adapter with me, so the extra ones in the room were handy to charge multiple things at once. There was also a massive transformer in the closet that would step the voltage down to 110V, but we never used it as all our chargers would take the full range of voltage.

Wireless Internet - we could pick up a usable signal in our room - not the strongest or most consistent, but it worked could enough for email. There was no password needed.

Bathroom privacy… It just wasn’t an issue. It looks like the Sun room we were in is set up similar to others – the bathroom is up level (several feet up some steps) and there is a wall that comes up further than that. The net effect is that if you’re sitting on the loo, you can’t really be seen from anywhere in the room. You can maybe see someone’s head and shoulders if they are showering.

Window operation… It took me a day or two before I figured out how to open and close the plantation style shutters. You push up on the edge of one of the slats to relieve pressure on the little pin that holds them up… then you can reposition that little pin to holes further inward or outward to allow the slats to be more open or closed.

The Total Romance AI is a great deal. For our stay, the AI option was roughly an extra $450/day. Dinner’s at the Jade club were around $225 each night, breakfast and lunch were each $80 to $100. Throw in a few drinks and the AI cost pretty much equates to what we spent on food alone. Considering the airport transfers, bottle of champagne, massage and the Volcano outing, all of which we would have done even if it wasn’t included in the AI… it was really a no brainer to do the AI. And there was a bunch of other stuff in the package we didn't even do.

Helicopter transfers… the price we were quoted for the two of us was $1100 ($275 per person each way). We decided to take the car arranged by Jade and included in our AI package. We actually enjoyed the trip – the driver was really good, stopping and pointing out various things along the way. Spencer Ambrose was our driver – you can probably request him through Jade if you like.

Cruise ship day? On Thursday of our stay we noticed things on the beach were noticeably more crowded and kinda… different. I think I read somewhere that cruise ships send boats of people over to the Anse beaches as an outing and I suspect maybe that was going on. You might ask about that and arrange your schedule to be on the beach on a less crowded afternoon.

Any surprise charges on checkout? Nope – none. The only two items on the bill at all - a $5 up charge on a shrimp appetizer we ordered at the beach bar (the waitress warned us when we ordered it) and some additional tips we gave at the spa. I never did figure out what was so special about that shrimp, by the way.

52 Thank bud4977
Elmhurst, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We visited in August of 2011 (waited too long to review). We stayed a week in a Sun Sanctuary even though I had originally booked a Moon. I think in the off-season it's likely that you'll be upgraded.

There were no mosquitos. The weather was amazing. It rained maybe 20-30 minutes each day.

My favorite part of the experience was running on the treadmill in the morning at the small fitness center, then returning to the room and jumping right into the pool, followed by breakfast with my wife delivered by our Major Domo. Having returned from Afghanistan very recently, I couldn't possibly overstate how incredibly wonderful this experience was.

Finally, the food is unbelievable. The chef was young, creative and obviously passionate about creating exciting, locally sourced and inspired cuisine. I wish we had done the cooking class because our brief discussion with him at a cocktail hour was honestly one of the most memorable moments of the entire vacation. It's inspiring to meet someone who is so passionate about what they are doing and interested in developing a new generation of local chefs.

The drive to and from the airport is horrible. But you'll survive - suck it up, you're on vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank dorko
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
4.4 km away
24.7 km away
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!