“Great place with a beautiful beach” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belair Beach Hotel

Belair Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Milwaukie, Oregon
“Great place with a beautiful beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We just got back from St. Martin on 3/11 and had a wonderful time thanks mostly to the folks at the Belair. Frankly, I was a little worried about all the remarks about the rooms being "dated". The grounds are very clean (even the beach) and the rooms are immaculate. The furniture is not foofoo fancy, but it is clean and very comfortable. The staff at the Belair are the best. Never passed one person that didn't greet me with a smile and a hello.
Any person that says Philipsburg is an easy walk is nuts. It is a hike of hills and traffic to get to Philipsburg. Get a car and travel the whole island, you won't be sorry.
Please stop by Lorna at the excursion desk. She has a wealth of knowledge of the island and will give honest advise on where to go.
The Gingerbread cafe is on site, a bit slow, but ok if you don't want to go off property. Its not cheap, but the food is ok.
When you arrive at the Belair go see Winston on the beach. You pick your chair and umbrealla he marks it with your room number and its yours for the week .... brilliant. Made my beach time fabulous. All resorts should do this for their guest.
It was a great week and hope to go back soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reta T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Brantford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I travelled to Belair Beach Hotel Feb 4-11 2012 with a girlfriend. We are 2 women in our fifties and travel usually every February. We had a great time. The resort was exactly what I expected from the reviews and information provided by RCI. All the units are beachfront which is great. We thoroughy enjoyed our spacious 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit. The balcony is fantastic and we spent a lot of time out there. The beach is lovely and the turquoise water is breathtaking. We took cabs to shopping and restaurants and felt very safe. The hotel staff could not have been any more helpful. They would recommend places to go, call the cab, let us know in advance the taxi # and name of the driver and they would follow up with us about our experience. It was a really nice personal touch. We ate at the Gingerbread Cafe many times and the food is always excellent. The service was slow on some occassions, but you just enjoy the view while waiting. The people at Jody's Place, the little store on site were so friendly and Michelina who did the orientation was so helpful with recommendations of places to go. She arranged a massage in my room which was great, and a night at L'Escargot in Phillipsburg which was fantastic. It may be the best meal I have ever had. Then there was a cute funny show after dinner. This vacation was one of the best ever and I have travelled extensively. The weather was great so if you check the weather before you go do not be worried when it says partly cloudy as that means a few wispy clouds here and there. We only had a few drops of rain the whole week. The resort is quiet, so not the place if you are looking for exciting night life, but you could go off the resort. I also liked that we were able to get the same TV channels as at home so I didn't have to miss things I like to watch. The resort and rooms were very clean. It was just a perfect vacation and we can't wait to go back.
Rose
Brantford Ontario

Room Tip: we were in room 414, so sort of in the middle on the 4th floor and it was good, not sure if corner r...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rose C
reston va
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We loved the feeling of getting up in the morning and overlooking Little Bay in St. Maarten. The view from every room at Belair Beach is sweet. Four floors, poured decorative concrete in an arabesque style, the hotel is really a condo/timeshare which has rooms available for rental. But the age of the building and furnishings show all to obviously. Every unit has sliding glass doors that open to the patio or first floor garden (with access to the beach on the ground floor). Unfortunately, they didn't open too easily or lock too readily. The kitchen is well stocked for cooking. Food on St. Maarten is sky-high in price, however. Water pressure on the upper floors was less powerful. But the two bedroom unit had two bathrooms as well and would serve a family of four quite well. The activities planned by the coordinator of the hotel were great. The bbq night at the pool was a standout. The food was good and the price was great. It included a band and singer. The guests at the Belair tend to be sedate unless they are rowdy. Older condo and time share people who have been coming for 30 years vegetate in the assigned beach chairs. The younger generation who come with access to the hotel because of parents and grandparents, drink beer and act out in the surf. Divi Resort is walkable. The beach is lovely. Belair is tucked away at Little Bay and convenient to Phillipsburg. All in all, the stay was pleasant. But an update...a major update....should be in the works. As one reviewer put it, the place is a little "Golden Girls." I agree.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have access to the beach and a lovely little garden. Also choose a beach chai...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RestonVaDentist
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Fabulous oceanfront rooms! You can actually hear the waves rolling all day long from your room. However, the hotel is a bit dated from the reception area to the decor in the rooms. Also, there was a musty smell in the room but we bought some Febreze and that helped a bit.

Great location, but a rental car is necessary to get around as the hotel is not within walking distance of the town, Philipsburg. Rentals are cheap though.

All in all it was a great week spent at the hotel and the fantastic view went a long way towards making up for the musty smell!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jan_POS
Plymouth, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

This is a nice place to stay. It is smaller than the neighbor resort Divi, that shares Little Bay in Philipsburg. The rooms are more beach like, not high end. Many of the units are owned outright, and the rest are timeshare and or rentals. The Bellaire gets full sun from around 10am until the sun sets, so if you are looking for a place in the shade to read a book, you may have to take a walk. Often we stay with Divi (we own a TimeShare) but need an extra night or so here and there and stay with Bellaire. I like Divi, and am quite uncertain about the quality o the reviews (small pools, seriously, they are hardly ever used !). To be certain, the beach at Little Bay is gorgeous, and you see the ships and sailboats come and go. That is what we like to see when on vacation, boats. We also like the beach hence, our selection of a resort or hotel on the beach (not near the beach within walking distance to the beach close the water, etc). I like to wake up and see the ocean, and walk the beach ....I do not need a 5 star butler service on the beach huge multi acre pool and am most satisfied with a more laid back casual atmosphere. If that is your objective, you will like Little Bay (Divi or Bellaire). If you must have a 5 star, LaSamanna is the only place other than personal homes for rent on the Island. We know it well.....I am always amazed at some of the reviews in TripAdvisor, and often wonder if people are happy. When I hit the beach, ocean, sun and view the boats I become happy and if the lodging is enough so that water is not drippiing on my head and the place is neat and clean, that is better. TIP: Divi has wonderful BBQ, Pizza in their beach bar. It is cheap, and a short walk should you not wish to go out for dinner or order out, it is a great option.

Room Tip: All face the ocean / beach / little bay. One building on a flat surface (not up a hill).
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank myworldexperiences
Castle Rock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

We had 3 condo type rooms for 8 family members for 8 days. The views from the condos are outstanding. Every one has a water view and nice balcony. The Gingerbread Restaurant is good and right on the premises. There is a little store for quick supplies and extras. They have a sports rental kiosk to rent waverunners, etc...and last but not least they have a trip planner person to set up all the excursions you might want to do. St. Martin is called "The Friendly Island" and they are friendly enough but not as friendly as we expected at the resort and on the Dutch Side. The French side was more friendly in our opinions. If you want to know about the rooms at the Belair, they are clean and the A/C works great but they are very dated. No dishwashers, but everything else. We were there from December 10-18th and it was very quiet in the rooms for sleeping. Philipsburg can be scary at night even though we had no problems. The beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world at St. Marrtin but the snorkeling gets a thumbs down. The reefs have been destroyed by hurricanes and are just growing again.. But there are enough activities to keep you busy for a week or two. Take lots of cash, there are quite a few places that do not take charge cards and both the French and Dutch take US dollars if you are from the states. Enjoy

Room Tip: They all have beach views
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank traveldiane54
Ballston Spa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Most of the reviews have detailed that the hotel could use some updating but that it is clean. This is all accurate. We found Gingerbread Cafe to be good to very good. We ate there 3 times throughout the week. I would go there again. We ate dinner/late lunch on those occasions. We ate breakfast in our room which has a very well equipped kitched. I also found that Jody's place had just about everything that one could possibly need while on vacation and possibly wanting to eat a meal or two at the hotel. I would say the prices were certainly higher than at a grocery store but there is certainly a value to "convenience" isn't there? I mean you could get cheese and crackers, a bathing suit, liquor,and baked beans all with taking about 5 steps! Now onto the beach which I had occasion to use 4-5 times. The sand is very soft and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable beaches I have ever spent time on. It isn't crowded but not deserted either. They have one of the water trampolines for kids. You can also rent a jetski and although I did not snorkle there, several people were. We were there with another couple and I am not overly "kidsy" but I have to say that there was plenty of room for all and I didn't feel intruded upon. I had been expecting a huge dropoff and a powerful surf from some of the other reviews. I did NOT find this to be the case at all. In fact I thought the dropoff was minimal and the surf was only really strongish on very few occasions. I think that perhaps the reviews about rocks, and hard surf etc...were perhaps written by someone who hasn't spent alot of time swimming in the ocean. Finally,location....Little Bay is great if you get up early, you can catch all the cruise ships heading into port. Plus if you take a left out of your hotel, you go to Simpson Bay and a right gets you to Philipsburg. Both are just a few minutes now that the construction is fixed in Simpson Bay. Lastly, a warning. Although we loved Belair, we will probably not return to St. Martin until and if the government and or police decide to be more proactive in attempting to prevent crimes against tourists. We stopped at Mullet Bay Beach for a cocktail. We were there for no more than an hour in the middle of the day and we parked where a ton of other cars were parked. In that hour, someone jammed a screwdriver in the passenger side door, opened the tailgate and emptied out everything we had in there including 2 beachbags, our camera and my purse(which was buried under everything else). I strongly feel in hindsight that there are people watching the parking lot and also possibly people signalling to those that are going to break in that they are all clear because the tourists are occupied. We weren't even going to bother with a police report because the general attitude was that it happens all of the time. We did end up making a report in the small hope that maybe someone someday will stop to think that if enough tourists get robbed, their business will be impacted. I would also like to mention that Lorna(activities director) made a snide comment that if we had gone to her little sales pitch we would have known to stay away. Nothing like kicking a person when they are down. Unnecessary comment. If it is that prevalent, why doesn't the welcome book or letter inform guests? It would take 2 seconds to write up a letter. Granted people don't like to point out bad things but this a pretty important oversight in my book. Unless we hear about a dramatic effort to decrease the amount of crime against tourists, we will spend our money elsewhere. One last note, when I was using the internet downstairs by the front desk, a woman was asking whether or not she could pay with a check as all of her cash and credit cards had been stolen. If you have not already booked your trip to St. Marten, choose another island whose government is interested in protecting tourism as their main business.

Room Tip: I would pick a room on the 3rd or 4th floors if given a choice....best views. Ground floors are main...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank MFORT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
2.3 km away
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,151 reviews

Been to Belair Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!