All reviewspink pearlfull bathroomsthe cruise ships leavebeach towelswasher and dryerevery morningsint maartenbars and restaurantsgrocery storeair conditionerbeautiful beachfurnitureboardwalkunitgreenhousebalconysasha
Reviewed March 23, 2015

We had a free stay certificate and chose this facility because we wanted to go to the islands and this was the only place available that said it could accommodate 6 (my husband, myself, and our 3 adult children made 5). Luckily our middle son made other plans with friends because the two pull-out sofas in the living room were just big enough for our other two kids.

The location is excellent. We walked to everything in Philipsburg (restaurants, shops, etc.) and were right on the beach. We had a wonderful view of the bay and were close enough to the boardwalk action to get to it within minutes but far enough away to not be bothered by the noise.

The facility was disappointing -- old and in disrepair. It was clean and adequate but just not what we're used to. For example, there were cracks in some floor tiles and the bathroom tub was in bad need of regrouting. Also, one night the A/C (mounted on the wall above the bed) began to leak. It got hot and the mattress got soaked. We had to wait until 1 or 2 am for a new mattress and A/C repair!

The room layout was weird as well. You walk into a long hallway. The bedroom is a door off this hallway with no outside windows. There is a window to the inner hotel hallway but NO SUNLIGHT! When my husband and I would wake up, there was no way to know whether it was the middle of the night or the middle of the afternoon. At the end of the hallway is the living room with the other 2 beds (pull-out sofas). So our kids were treated to the beautiful bay views. You're left to choose privacy or view. We've stayed in places where the living room is BESIDE the bedroom so both have views.

I think some old places are charming. This one was just old.

The restaurant on the first floor is independent. The chinese food was average at best but the prices were rather high. Unless it's raining really hard and you don't want to go outside, skip this place!

Room Tip: They told us we could have an updated room with no view or an old room with a view. We chose the view. However, I read in another review where someone had an upgraded room with a view. I'd try for that because the old rooms REALLY need upgrades!!
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank EJPgh_412
Reviewed March 1, 2015

The Sea Palace owners and staff are working hard to make renovations. My friend had traded some time share points to stay there. We were lucky enough to get one of the newly renovated rooms, with newly tiled bathrooms, kitchen with granite and stainless steel appliances, on the 5th floor with a beautiful Caribbean Sea view. From our newly refurbished balcony area, we marveled at the number of cruise ships as the docked far off to our left. It was a form of island excitement to try and count them each day. As we sipped our wine on the balcony in the evening viewing the lights of the ships, it was like seeing a small carnival area in the distance. Our days were filled with a land tour with Happy Harold, an evening Mardi Gras event in Grand Case, once again driven by Happy Harold (just ask for him at the front desk), a wonderful catamaran trip around the entire island via Eagle Tours (Eco friendly tour), that was a full day that included lunch, rum punch or other liquids and snorkeling, along with beautiful views of the island. We also enjoyed the local breakfast food of Carl and sons on Main Street, a great burger on the boardwalk at Taloula Mango's and all Boardwalk food and shops were within an easy walking distance of the Sea Palace. After touring the island by land and sea, the Sea Palace locations wins by convenience. It still needs a few more upgrades and renovations to satisfy. The beaches are all nice and each has its own special feel to it. There is a clothes optional beach at Orient Beach and is a very nice area. Maho Beach is famous because it is located at the end of the Princess Juliana airport runway-Check out some of the videos online. It was impressive to sit there and watch the jets come in over your head. All-in-all, it was a great trip. The island trade winds cooled when needed. The last evening was celebrated with new friends that invited us to a dinner and drag queen show at L'Escargot Restaurant just down from our place on Front Street. The escargot was excellent and the show a lot of fun. I'd go back because that area was comfortable and the beach in front of the Sea Palace seemed private and so convenient, even with the cruise ship people lounging close by at other beach-vendor spots. It seems you can rent an umbrella and 2 chairs at other beaches for the day for $20. U.S. Dollars are welcome and accepted. There are grocery stores within walking distance to supply yourself for breakfasts and lunches. Take a local taxi for $2, but be prepared for a sweaty crowded trip, but fun and it was a chance to interact with the local folks, and all very pleasant and helpful. As with anyplace, be aware of your surroundings and don't overdress with too much jewelry. This island is laid back and tourism is their trade.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, beach side, upper levels.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
11  Thank Susan D
Reviewed February 14, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I spent a week at the sea Palace. It was our third trip and probably the best one yet .joe is an amazing guy he went above and beyond to make sure our trip was wonderful. Can't wait to return next year

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kennyseese
Reviewed February 10, 2015

We exchanged our timeshare for a 1 bdrm/2 bath for one week here at the end of Jan. 2015. As other reviewers have mentioned, they are still undergoing renovations. Our room had not been redone and was on a corner on Front St side. Every nite I heard roosters crowing, dogs barking, cars driving by with open windows & blaring rap music, delivery trucks & garbage trucks - all before 5 or 5:30 a.m.! Ocean front guests said they did not hear these noises.
My only problem with the suite was the kitchen. It had a 50s/60s style stainless steel sink & stovetop combo & steel cupboard below. After getting quite a shock while touching the stove when it was turned on & another shock when I put my hand under running water in the sink when the stove was on, I reported it to the front desk. They assured me they would send someone to look into it. The next day no one had come by & we mentioned it again. Then they sent a new employee who was a maintenance guy. He said he couldn't find anything wrong & I should wear shoes when I'm using the stove! The next day we ran into the senior maintenance man, Hector, who another quest had suggested we deal with, and told him our problem. He came by later & worked on it for a couple of hours. When we returned he said it was all fixed. Later that evening I touched the stove & got a shock again!

Other than this issue, the location is great, right on the beach boardwalk. Loungers & umbrellas provided on the beach. The streets are very narrow & uneven for walking, so care is needed. Tons of shops & restaurants all within walking distance, but not all are open when the cruise ships are not in. We did not eat in the restaurant.

Note that the 3rd Sun. of every month there is an evening jazz festival on the beach. Loungers/chairs are put out & vendors set up on the beach. The music was great - had a laugh tho as the first band was not jazz, they were more caribbean!

Advice: don't buy your booze on the plane. Super prices at local stores (shop around as they're not all the same) and at the duty free shop on the beach. They had $5 bottles of good wine.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank marianneOttawa
Reviewed January 11, 2015

Eddy was the most helpful staff in the hotel. He went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and has given us valuable advice and recommendations. We travel a lot (5-6 holidays a year) but we both thought that Eddy was exceptional by providing a great service and helping wherever he could. He clearly did it out of his good heart and not for any monetary rewards. He should be in a much more appreciated position at the hotel as he represents excellent service. He could lead or train the service/receptionist teams.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple