“Wonderful sail on a Tall Ship!!”

Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventures provides day sails with snorkeling and romantic sunset cruises aboard our tall ship the Lord Sheffield. Enjoy our abundent grog and world famous BBQ ribs and chicken while sailing on the beautiful Caribbean sea.
Corsicana, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful sail on a Tall Ship!!”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great excursion in St. Maarten. We were a group of 17 and the ship only takes 25 so it was almost a private cruise! Great fun, our hosts were very friendly and the rum punch was great. We got to snorkel, swim, had lunch and then sail back. A wonderful day in beautiful St. Maarten!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank TCR819

Columbia Falls, Montana
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonderful sunset experience!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was a very down home experience--nothing fancy--really relaxed--just us and the ocean and the sunset!! Fabulous!

Visited February 2012
JC, MO
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great attraction made so by a better Crew”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

If you are looking for something outstanding to do in St Maarten - and don't do shopping why not check out the Lord Sheffield and its outstanding crew.

I had previously booked the morning trip with the LS, but mechanical troubles caused our cruise ship to begin the docking procedure as I saw the ship leaving the harbor. I'm a sucker for sailing ships and besides it was paired with skin diving, so I couldn't go wrong.

I showed up for the afternoon trip, a little concerned that perhaps they would be "full". I think its an Island thing, but I'm not sure they were ever too full.

Anyway, I was welcomed on the ship and offered softdrinks and snaks on the trip out. There was a good mixture of banter and stories about the area we were visiting. The skipper and the crew were incredibly attentive to our needs. The views on the way out were great.

The dive equipment was relatively new and the site was pretty good, considering that St. Maarten is not known as the best place for diving because of less than ideal visibility. One of the crew made a good dive master keeping a flock of people ranging from rank beginners to serious divers all safe and informed.

The best food was the grilled chicken on the way back which was hot and plentiful plus other assorted goodies and drinks.

Anyway, no mention during the entire trip of paying which surprised me a little since I had expected to be dunned BEFORE I got on the boat. As we tied up to the dock, I approached the skipper and asked about payment and was assured they hadn't forgot about me.

Anyway - a great trip on a good ship to a better than average dive sight with a great crew that made it all memorable.

As I said, if you are looking for something unique and memor making - make your reservations on Sheffield.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank MissouriBiker
Chicago, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend Lord Sheffield Sunset Cruise”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

If you are looking for a romantic sunset cruise, I highly recommend Lord Sheffield. We went in mid-February for a sunset cruise and had a fabulous time. If you are staying on the island, be sure to book your trip on a day when the cruise ships are not in port. We had an intimate trip of 6 couples. Sailing on a tall ship made the sunset cruise even more romantic. The crew was very engaging and the grilled ribs & chicken were delicious. We are going to St Maarten in Feb 2012 and will take this same cruise again.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank HateSnowLoveBeach
Oakmont, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Sun, snorkeling, sailing and BBQ”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

The Lord Sheffield is docked a 7-10 minute walk from the cruise ship port at Dock Maarten. It is a 1966-ish schooner.

We took the 3 hour snorkeling/sailing tour. The crew was extremely friendly and welcoming, offering us drinks even before we set off.

The first stop is just around the corner from the dock to a snorkeling spot that seems to have every sailing tour/snorkeling tour. It is right by the Tiki Hut snorkeling spot. The Sheffield provided snorkeling equipment as well as noodles for those that didn't want to snorkel. The kids enjoyed seeing the fish, sea urchins and other undersea sights during their snorkel as well as jumping into the water off of the bow and mainsail mast.

After lifting anchor, we set the sails and were off on the sailing portion of the tour. Capt. Julien was great and let the kids steer the ship. We were served bbq chicken and ribs along with additional drinks ranging from water to juice, beer and a great rum punch.

We arrived back at the dock after a great afternoon on the water.

Note: If you book direct, you can save almost $100 off the cruise ship booking price. They take credit cards, so you aren't expected to show up with a wallet full of cash.

Visited November 2011