“Some good, some bad”
Review of Le Beach Hotel

Le Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Marigot
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Two nights at the Beach Plaza before a cruise was not the best start to my vacation. Everything looks a bit faded and in need of refurbishment. My room had a view of road repairs. I had prepaid the room and was expecting an ocean view. The hotel seemed fairly empty on my first night but got busier the next. Dinner in the resturant was OK until the server rudely demanded I pay cash because the desk didn't have a credit card imprint. I assured her that they did, and after checking she grudgingly let me sign my meal to my room. No apology. Friday night is a well advertised lobster feast. Quite pricey for what was very overcooked lobster, but there was a lot of variety on the buffet. The breakfast was fairly typical of mass-produced breakfasts - most of the 'hot' food was almost cold, as was much of the service.

What saved my stay was the short walk into Marigot - a real bonus. But especially I enjoyed the little stores in the same block as the hotel, particularly Art + Design SXM, which is a lovely paper gifts shop. Owner Bettina made me very welcome and I can honestly say this is the only time I've been in a paper gifts shop where I was served cafe au lait, stollen, and champagne as a welcome! Thanks to Bettina I would consider staying again at the Beach Plaza if I was taking a cruise from Marigot.

I spent a fair bit of time in the lobby using the wifi and it's a pleasant spot. Not much of a beach but a sheltered area for watching the ocean waves.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Trakette
There are newer reviews for Le Beach Hotel

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I hate hate hate hate this place, it's a joke! No hot water, no American plugs, no blanket, no wifi.
The bed is a rock, it is old and rusty,

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Our family used Hotel Beach Plaza as our base for a week on the island, and were extremely pleased. I rate it excellent on everything (location, cleanliness, friendly staff, beach, restaurant for breakfast) except linens (a little threadbare). We made use of amenities such as the hotel computer and car rental agency on site. We enjoyed walking to the marina area restaurants for dinner most evenings.

Room Tip: island side is noisier, but A/C drowns out traffic noises
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank A S
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed there again in November 2011. Last trip was a few years back in April.

The staff were very friendly and helpful with any touring questions.

The bed was EXCELLENT. A great mattress and great pillows as well.

We are nighthawks on vacation, and slept in late every day then headed to one of the many local beaches. The staff always had the room spotless when we returned late in the day.

It is an older hotel, but they appear to keep it in working order.

The walk into the Marina is only a few minutes and there are a number of excellent restaurants to choose from within the marina area. We also ate in the hotel restaurant and were pleasantly surprised at how good the dinner and drinks turned out. Breakfast offers a nice mixture of the typical buffet style foods.

The beach and their dock have plenty of chairs to relax if you prefer to hang around the hotel, however, as mentioned earlier - there are a number of beaches within minutes (Cupecoy, Baie Rouge) and Orient is only about 20-30 minutes away (traffic will dictate).

We were able to negotiate a deal on upgrading to the ocean side as it was a little slow at the time we were there - so they are flexible. The street side is cheaper and NOISIER. The hotel is on the 'main drag' between Marigot and the Dutch side and motorcycles make LOTS of noise 24 hours a day. It's worth the upgrade.

We'll likely go back again, as the service is good, the hotel is clean and it is very convenient to beaches, restaurants and local markets.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Ocean Side - it's worth the peace and soothing sound of the waves.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 18 December 2011

After reading previous write-ups on this hotel we were a bit dubious about staying there. However, we were pleasantly surprised at the value we got for our one night stay.
Located on the beach & very central to Marigot & easy to take excursions to other areas of the island.
The room was clean & comfortable. Bathroom area was a bit "tired" but, again, was very clean. No noise in our room, as a matter of fact we were disappointed that ,with the doors closed, we couldn't hear the waves on the shore.
Price of a room includes a terrific, full American breakfast buffet.
There is lunch & dinner dining too, which we felt was rather expensive.
We arrived here early in the morning off a cruise. We didn't have to wait for a room, they checked us in right away. They also allowed us to keep our room an extra hour because our flight out was late afternoon. Such great service!
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone staying a few days in Marigot.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank EvergreenCanada
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We booked this hotel spur of the moment as the price was terrific. We have been to St. Martin before but not in the last 9 years for a number of reasons including prices and the fact that until recently the flights only went in once a week. Booked with Westjet Vacations
We had never really paid much attention to Hotel Beach Plaza but we knew it had a great location It is walking distance to Marigot where you will find everything you might need or want. Excellent choices of restaraunts and fun market with a variety of goods.
The hotel itself is lovely with a buffett breakfast included....which is great with fresh fruit and assorted pastry, bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc all very tasty. We had an oceanview room and it is worth the extra if you can afford it. Look for restaurants that offer 1 for 1 which the first time I heard it I though it was a happy hour but in fact they are offering a 35% saving by using the exchange of $1US for 1Euro We has a fantastic time but of course it was not busy in November but I'd book anytime of the year the weather was perfect, front desk and breakfast staff were great We booked a car for two days with the company which has a desk in the lobby Try Mario's Bistro, great food and ask for a waterside table and you will see (evenings) shrimp jump out of the water to escape being eaten by fish! Everything was perfect so this vacation will be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Book the oceanview or request it if you travel in the off season
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kwinterton
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We enjoyed a stay of two weeks and will happily return.
It is an older hotel but well maintained and comfortable. The staff are its best asset and will always have a smile for you. It is very clean and the food is decent.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank okpik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marigot
8.0 km away
8.2 km away
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Le Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!