All reviews maho beach sunset bar front desk small gym watch the planes land pink champagne complimentary coffee famous beach check in went smoothly shower door spacious living room ocean view hot water the room was nice minute walk staff was very friendly and helpful the hotel is clean
Reviewed March 30, 2017

We stayed at a villa for most of our stay, but picked the Alegria for our final night. The location, price, and pictures are what drew us in. Our room was very nice and exactly what we expected (mini-fridge, patio, tv). The resort itself looks like it's undergoing some hefty renovations - rooms on the first floor were being completely gutted and working in - it didn't affect us at all, just worth note.

The pools were very nice - one has a swim up bar which was closed when we went in later in the afternoon and another that is right next to the water where we watched the sunset and saw the few last planes come in. The staff was fantastic whenever we interacted with them, helping us out and pointing us in the right direction. Being right next to Maho Beach and the Sunset Bar was also great.

The biggest thing to note is that any room not facing the ocean is subject to noise from the airport. This was fine for us, but I could definitely see it being an issue if you hope to sleep in at any point after the jets (there are plenty of private ones, too) start taking off. We took it in stride, as the other side of this was that we were a quick walk from Maho Beach where we could lay and watch the planes land.

Room Tip: Great location, but make sure to pick ocean-side if airport noise is a concern
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Karen H, General Manager at Alegria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2017

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are indeed making improvements to our hotel, I am glad to hear it did not affect you as we do our best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, especially your lovely comments regarding our entire hotel staff I am sure they enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay.
I am pleased to hear the location of our hotel was to your liking, Our locations is definitely one of the things we are very proud of about our hotel. We are so lucky to have a property so nearby the airport and a very strategic location that brings our guest just a few steps away from must-see attractions and modern-day conveniences. Please note that the Airport is open from 7 am until 10 pm.

Reviewed March 23, 2017 via mobile

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise to st. Maarten and took a taxi to the French side of the island. We stopped at Maho Bay where the famous beach is to watch the planes take off and land which is pretty cool, and wanted to find a nice place to stop. There is a big busy bar called The Refuge and the Sunset and we continued walking past it and found the Allegria Resort. They allowed us to use the pool and waterfront and give us towels for basically nothing. The front desk staff was friendly, and the place is lovely and clean. If you're visiting Maho Bay I would suggest checking out this property. If I'm back on Saint Martin for an Extended Stay I would definitely consider staying here based on my experience today. Great job Alegria Resort!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Karen H, General Manager at Alegria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2017

Dear Nicholas,

Thank you so much for taking the time and giving us such a great review!
I am pleased you had a wonderful experience at out resort for the short time you were here. I am very happy to hear that our staff made your feel at home. This is really one of the things that we try to maintain in our resort.
We appreciate you recommending us to other travelers.
We would love to welcome you back again at our resort in St.Maarten, The Friendly Island.

Reviewed March 17, 2017 via mobile

Good things- staff at the front desk were very helpful, especially Isabella who checked us in. It is close to the airport. It all went downhill from there.
Negative- standard rooms all face the parking lot. Very noisy. Disco next to hotel had party til 5am. Music and parking lot noise did not make for a good night's sleep. Also room has dank musty odor.
Asked the staff to switch rooms. They deferred me to the reservation manager who declined to move us to a room facing away from the parking lot. I spoke with the duty manager who also declined to move us. This property does not appear to be full at 11 am.they state they are full and can't possibly accommodate the move. My friend who paid the exact same price as I did was placed on 5th floor without asking, on first arrival. So it is possible to accommodate us they just won't. I was not happy with the room upon check in (due to smell in room)but did not want to cause trouble figuring Icould handle it for 2 nights. We heard through the grapevine that this property was sold to new owners and has gone downhill. So, if you see greater than a 1 star I would sincerely question it. There are NO amenities on the property except a pool. If there is a hot tub it was cold water. Pick wiser than I did!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Atoche
Karen H, General Manager at Alegria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for lovely comments regarding our staff and especially Isabella, I will let Isabella know that you were pleased with her service.
Please note that from the 15th until the 19th there is a festival on the entire island, and the Refuge next door is one of the venues, I am sorry if this may have caused any inconvenience.
Regarding the room issues I have already discussed this with maintenance to make improvements.
I do hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed March 15, 2017 via mobile

The WORST HOTEL ever
Staff is rude all the time
They do not offer food service
The hotel is right by the airplane landing track
Every time a plane lands hotel is noiseful and annoying, couldnt ever sleep.
THIS IS NO VACATION HOTEL
WORST HOTEL IN THE WORLD

Stayed: March 2017
3  Thank Robin D
Karen H, General Manager at Alegria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2017

Dear Robin,

Please note that the airport opens at 7 am and closes at 10 pm, our website clearly mentions that we are located next to the airport, I am sorry if this was not clear to you and for any inconvieneces this may have caused.
Onsite we have 4 restaurants the famous Sunset Beach Bar, the renewed Refuge, Tacho Macho and SushiQ.

Reviewed March 13, 2017

So glad I decided to only stay in Philipsburg for 2 nights and move over to Alegria for the remaining 3 nights of my visit. Watching planes land and takeoff at SXM has been on my bucket list for years, and I'm so happy that I found Alegria to stay. It's literally located near the end of the runway and has terrific ocean views and views of the runway.

My room was very large and on the top floor with a terrific view of the ocean. Very relaxing to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view when you're not watching planes land. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The Sunset Beach Bar is next to Alegria and they have absolutely terrific tasting food at very reasonable prices. This is also one of the best spots to watch the planes land if you're a photographer (you also have to watch the planes land from the beach itself, and at least once be at the beach in the jet blast when one takes off!).

Two issues I did have with the room were lack of cleanliness and no work station or desk in the large room (it was a huge inconvenience to have nowhere to work on my laptop while staying there). The bathroom had a very bad mildew smell from the shower curtain not being cleaned. Also had a wash cloth on my sink when I checked in with hair on it. The bathroom also had hair in different places, including the shower, that was there when I checked in and there when I checked out. There was also hair and sand in the main part of the room, and after my first night when I had some sand on me when going to bed, the same sand was in the sheets each night I stayed so they do nothing to change the bedding while you're there.

Although there are only a couple of vending machines inside the hotel, there is a nice grocery market on the other side of the runway. It's a very short walk. There are also a lot more restaurant and shopping options on that side of the runway.

Room Tip: I preferred the ocean view room to enjoy the ocean views while not watching planes.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Karen H, General Manager at Alegria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us a perfect rating and for recommending our hotel
to other travellers. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. Our locations is definitely one of the things we are very proud of about our hotel. We are so lucky to have a property so nearby the airport and a very strategic location that brings our guest just a few steps away from must-see attractions and modern-day conveniences.
I am pleased to hear that the location and spaciousness of your room was to your liking and that you have enjoyed the view.
Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the lack of cleanliness of your room, I have already discussed this with our housekeeping management to make sure this will not happen again in the future.

We do hope you consider staying with us again in Sint Maarten, The Friendly Island.