“Very nice stay!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
New York
“Very nice stay!”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights of our honeymoon. We really enjoyed the 2 story sea view apartment we had. The apartment was clean, comfortable, and somewhat fashionable. It had a nice view of the ocean. I think we were on the 2nd/3rd floors. The beach was nice, but not as great as other places we visited (Anguilla and St. Barts had much nicer beached).

The location was A+. It was right down the street from the main strip in Grand Case where we would walk each night and choose different restaurants to eat at or bars to relax in. The vibe of the area was exceptional.

This was not a true hotel, but a great place to stay for a traveler who likes to be a part of the local culture/seen. These were very nice seaside apartments with an on-site restaurant and bar (that were high quality). We spent our last night at La Semana (5 star, best hotel on the island etc, etc) and it was not as good a stay as Grand Case Beach Club. It had a nicer beach, but other than that was an isolated resort that could have been anywhere.

A car is good thing to have so you can explore the island and see other beaches. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnnyBahama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Polish first
New York area
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Grand Case Beach Club. While the property is absolutely beautiful, we did have some problems. We arrived early and were not able to get into our room until 3pm which is their check in time, which is understandable as they were fully booked and it was a Saturday and people were checking out. We took our bathing suits out of our suitcases and gave them, along with my husbands jacket, which was belted to the top of the suitcase with the front desk to be placed in a secured area. We told the front desk where we were sitting and were assured that they would come and get us when it was ready. They said they came to look for us but could not find us, so we went back to the front desk around 3:15 got the keys to our room. They take a $110 deposit for beach towels, room keys and a key for the safe. We were told that our bags were in our room. When we got the room, they were not, went back to the front desk, and they were delivered by a man that seemed annoyed that I did not give him the baggage tickets when we first went to pick up our room keys. I explained to him that we were told that they were already in the room. When we did get our bags, my husbands cell phone was missing from his jacket. It was in a secured, inside velcro closed pocket. When I talked to the front desk, they said nothing had been turned in. I even went to the "secured area" where it was kept and it was not there. We were lucky that our cell phone carrier did not have coverage on the french side of the island as no calls were made and we cancelled the phone immediately.
The room we stayed in was "nice" (garden view) but the bathroom door would not stay shut at all (it was a pocket door) which made sleeping with the bathroom light on very bright. They do not have an outlets for american plugs, although, we did not ask for a converter, which they may or may not have had available. There are no shower curtains or barriers to stop the water from splashing onto the vanity in the bathroom which makes leaving anything on it impossible to keep dry. They do have free wi-fi, but do charge for the internet, $15 dollars per hour, whether you use 1 minute or the whole hour.
The reception office is up a flight of stairs that are steep, so it would not be good for handicapped people, and although it is near to town and is walkable (15 minutes) it is on a road that is narrow and would not be a great bet at night. While we were there, they told an older couple that had canes and were moving very slowly that it was "no problem" to walk there. My husband and I were shocked when we over heard this.
The property itself is absolutely beautiful with a great location that can't be beat. the beaches were clean, with lots of beds and many option for laying out in the shade or the sun. The pool was tiny, tiny, tiny, but heard that most hotel pools were. The restaurant and the bar was run by a great group of people, with good specials, and good strong drinks. They were very very nice. The woman at the front desk, Ruth, was especially nice and was upset that we had lost our phone and was "looking into it".
All in all, because of the location, it was great. Would I recommend it to others? Yes. Like I said above, the property itself was beautiful. Other than getting our phone stolen, and the problem with the bathroom, it was very enjoyable.
(Bring bug spray in you stay in a garden room, many mosquitos come into the room and eat you at night!!!!)
They also have a large area for parking if you rent a car.

Room Tip: Garden rooms, although they have a nice private patio, also have mosquitos, and because of the tiled...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SophieNYC
New York
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We first went to the Grand Case Beach club at the recommendation of friends and we were not disappointed. A beautiful setting, wonderful staff, & a first-class on site restaurant. This is calm, beautiful place to stay. If you want late night parties and a constant flow of booze- do not come here, instead go to the Dutch side. The Beach Club is "simple elegance"! Relaxed and low key. We love it and return every year.

Room Tip: We love our ocean front room. We have been on the first floor and the second floor- both are fine an...
4 Thank Kathy C
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed in early Feb. and it was a lovely and relaxing time. Grand Case Beach Club seems to us to be one of the loveliest resorts on the island. We stayed here in 2010 and the property has been improved since then. We enjoyed both of the beaches and took out a kayak for a quick cruise. Everyone was very friendly and courteous. Our room was lovely with a great balcony and was well maintained. We will stay here again when we return to St. Martin.

3 Thank SunLuver911
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2012

my wife and I just spent two nights here. On balance a nice place and pretty much as evident on web site and comments. Really our only disappointment was that we were given two double beds and not the King we reserved. When we called it to the attention of the front desk they basicaaly said grin and bear it.

Room Tip: Stay away from the sewerage treatment plant
2 Thank George F
gcbcmgr, General Manager at Grand Case Beach Club, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for your visit, and I am happy that you enjoyed it, for the most part! As to the Double vs. King beds, in our Studio rooms, the majority are made up with King beds, with a few Double bedded rooms interspersed. Some people prefer separate beds, as do some families with children. At times, we have complaints that we do not have enough rooms with Doubles, and at others we may not have enough rooms with Kings. While we do our very best to accommodate all requests, we are very careful not to guarantee or promise, and we make that very clear to all of our travel industry partners, as well as on our website and in our direct booking process. We sell the rooms by room type, not bedding. Again, I am certainly not pleased that you were less than thrilled, I hope that you can understand our logic. This month of February has been one of our busiest months on record, and it is very likely that an option to move to another room with your preferred bedding was not available. I do apologize that the beds did not meet your expectations. By the way, all beds, kings and doubles, are of very high quality and are a recent purchase...we have had raves on their firm comfort!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have been a patron of the Grand Case Beach Club annually since 1999 except for 2010. My last was in 2011 and I am returning in a few weeks. My experience has been so consistently wonderful that I gave up long ago any consideration of other hotels, or staying anywhere else in French St. Martin for that matter.

My trips to Grand Case have occured during the months of February, March, and early April. The one year I was there over Easter proved to be the only difficult trip due to many days being national holidays.

The Grand Case Beach Club consistently provides an excellent accommodation. I prefer the Oceanfront One Bedroom, though I have stayed in a loft which is simply not my preference, but it too was well appointed, stocked and comfortable. The garden-view rooms are located near the front of the property and I can see why some people would find fault with them due to the location. I've never stayed in one, so I cannot speak to the inside of those rooms. I always reserve a second floor unit to avoid pedestrian traffic and for extra privacy. The property is well maintained and great attention is payed to understated details. The hotel staff are exceedingly helpful without being overly present or hovering. My reservations have never been altered nor have my requests been modified.

The GCBC ensures that its guests are not deluged by wandering "salesman" offering to braid your hair, selling cheap tee-shirts, or offering to take a photograph for money. I find this is prevalent on the Dutch side which caters to the cruise ship tourists, and also in Anguilla.

I learn something from every trip to St Martin and about Grand Case that makes subsequent trips almost no-brainers. These include:

1)Always take US Dollars. Most restaurants and other businesses offer 1:1 par ( even back in the days of the Franc). Every room in the GCBC has a safe so you do not have to carry wads of cash out and about everyday.

2)Pack a soft cooler. I never found one for sale anywhere in St Martin. Taking a cooler with drinks, beer, water and light snacks to the beach is so much easier and cheaper. The kitchens in all GCBC rooms have refrigerators large enough for a week's worth of this kind of thing.

3) Stop at the SuperMarche on the way from the airport in Marigot for drinks, snacks, coffee, cream and etc, especially if you would like to enjoy a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning from your oceanfront balcony. I enjoy this routine every morning while the island is just waking up. When you go to the SuperMarche you will need a coin for the shopping cart, but you get it back when you return the cart.

4) I never plan to cook meals or eat-in because if I want an easy and very inexpensive meal, I go to one of the local Lolo's which are delicious and more affordable than anything I could do for myself.

5) Rent the smallest car available. The roads are narrow and sometimes parking can be tight.

6) The beach at the GCBC is perfectly pleasant, but you can expect lots of children because the waters are slick as glass. I prefer to drive over to Orient Bay where I can rent two chairs and an umbrella for about $12 for the entire day. Alternatively, the beach at Pinel ( accessible by ferry) is also fantastic. If planning to spend beach time at the GCBC, the property offers every imagineable recreation, including the twice or thrice weekly catamaran trip to St Barts which is worth the investment. There are very nice beach towels for guests, and the management does not mind if you take them to other beaches. I swap them out at the end of the day.

7) Tuesdays are the only night I make sure to get a restaurant reservation in advance due to the hustle and bustle of the carnival. I've never had a bad meal or experience anywhere in Grand Case though there are some places that are not as good as others.

8) The Continental Breakfast provided in the Sunset Cafe is generous and delicous. Between the breakfast and a few snacks taken to the beach, I rarely think about lunch. The Sunset Cafe is probably the best restaurant on the entire island and they serve the best Tarimisu I've ever had.

9) Do not expect to find current US newspapers or magazines in Grand Case. There are a few places where periodicals are sold, but they are usually outdated. There is a loaning library in the lobby of the GCBC stocked with paperbacks. I usually bring everything I might want to read on a Kindle. Television with CNN and other cable channels are standard in every room and sufficent for me to keep up with daily news.

10) Internet and phone service is sketchy and expensive. An internet kiosk has been installed in the lobby of the GCBC last time I was there, but I opted not to use it. If you want to be 'hooked-up", you probably need to rent a phone in Phillipsburg.

The GCBC is an excellent destination if you want a truly relaxing and upscale vacation. I am departing for St Martin in a few weeks and hopefully I will not be back on Trip Advisor eating crow!

Room Tip: One Bedroom Oceanfront, second floor
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
19 Thank stoneybucks
gcbcmgr, General Manager at Grand Case Beach Club, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Thank you very much for your detailed review...and the heads up that you are soon returning. We are blessed by a large number of return guests, and we do our best to be worthy of multiple visits by always improving. I hope and trust that will be apparent when you come back...and we will do our best to serve no crow.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband and I visited this hotel in early January for a quick getaway. We had an amazing oceanfront room with a balcony. We loved Grand Case in general--the restaurants all almost all seriously 5 star with reasonable prices. They seem almost in competition and try to one up each other, which makes for really great food for such a tiny town. The hotel was gorgeous and feel like a step back in time, a quieter, slower time. Another incredible point, the restaurant was really, really great. Most hotel restaurants--especially one's with incredible oceanfront views--don't try that hard b/c they don't have to. They can phone it in b/c people "have" to come there and they are guaranteed a certain amount of business. In this case, the restaurant went way above and beyond what I was expecting. I felt they were very creative and had interesting dishes and did them well. The customer service was great. Honestly, the night staff was much friendlier and approachable than the breakfast staff, but it was all good. The guys who arrange the watersports were very friendly and helpful. They just seemed like the quintessential beach guys, who happened to be French. Very interesting people and helpful too. I would definitely return here. I can't say enough positive about this place. The room rate was very reasonable too.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
10.6 km away
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
9.4 km away
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!