All reviewsapple bayfew minutes drivebay beachfour wheel drivesteep terrainjost van dykewest end ferrysmugglers coverebeccaoleanderturtlesdrivewaymurmurbeachesbedroomvacationtortola
Reviewed April 14, 2007

This was my second stay with Carol at Turtle Dove Lodge. Last year, I had stayed in the Oleander (see my other review). At that time (Feb 06), Carol had just purchased the Chai House and was in the process of renovating it. Based on what I saw that time, I couldn't wait to come back and rent it. This year, my fiance and I returned and was lucky enough to stay in the Chai House--the only problem with it is we are now so spolied, that anywhere we stay on our honeymoon will pale in comparison.

The Chai house is exceptional. There is a 270 degree view from the house, wrap around porches (both from the bedroom and off of the living room), you are king/queen of the hill (located at the top, this is clearly the "master" cottage), there are cathedral ceilings with floor to ceiling windows, and VIEWS VIEWS VIEWS. The first day we were there, it rained all day, but frankly, we didn't mind. We sat on the couch and read all day while looking out over seemingly endless ocean and islands. The high vantage point and the huge windows made us feel like we were floating above the water. When the rain finally ended, we actually didn't feel like leaving the house!

The inside is extremely well equipped (stainless steel modern kitchen, huge bedrooom with new king bed, absolutely amazing shower build right into the local bedrock....you feel like you are showering in a stream!!!). Plus, the walls are decorated beautifully and tastefully (Carol's forte really). Chai really is the theme. Also adorning the walls are Carol's wonderful photographs (she has photographed for Nat Geographic). See my pictures for more.

All this for an incredibly reasonable price (much much cheaper than the crammed Long Bay Resort just down the hill).

Writing this is only making me yearn for that house again! Thank you Carol for providing one of the most memorable weeks I have ever had while vacationing!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank dbNewYork
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We honeymooned on Tortola in 2001 and wanted to return for our 5th anniversary. We remembered another couple had stayed at the Turtle Dove and so we looked it up (because it's not listed in 90% of the travel guides). We're so glad we did!

Turtle Dove is a small collection of guest cottages built up on the hillside overlooking Apple Bay and Long Bay. We stayed in the Guavaberry cottage, which was right off the small (3-4 cars max) parking area (i.e., no climb up the hill to get to the front door). The cottage featured a porch that wrapped around the corner of the building, with sweeping views of the island. Absolutely stunning. We could watch surfers in the water at Apple Bay and see over to Jost Van Dyke as the sailors accumulated for the big Foxy's bash. The cottage was smartly decorated in island style, featuring several of owner Carol Vanderpools' original art pieces. No AC, but many ceiling fans and good breezes.

The cottage had a full kitchen, which was great. We picked up breakfast food, snacks, and beverages at the grocery store and ate on the porch in the mornings. Carol had greeted us with a lovely bottle of wine. All linens, beach towels and a clothesline were provided. The bed was comfy, and the cottage was fully equipped with cable TV, DVD player with an assortment of recent releases, and a desktop computer with broadband internet access. At first I goraned at the thought of using the computer on vacation in Tortola, but I must admit that we fired it up once or twice to get restaurant phone numbers.

If you stay there, make sure you rent a car with four-wheel drive, because the steep road up the hill requires it.

We loved our stay and hope to return for another visit!

Stayed: December 2006
Reviewed March 11, 2006

We stayed at the Flamboyant Cottage from July 20-23, 2005. Upon our arrival, Carol had welcomed us with a bottle of wine in addition to several thoughtful amenities. The view of Long Bay was spectacular and during our brief stay, we were able to catch an awesome sunset. It is best to rent a 4-wheel drive since the road to the Flamboyant is very steep. The detached unit is always nice since you can enjoy complete privacy. The flowers that surround the cottage add to the ambience of the Flamboyant. One thing to consider is that there is no air-conditioning, and during July it can become quite warm.

We planned our trip to Tortola around the full moon so we could experience the "Full Moon Party" at Bomba's. It is an experience that should be had once, however, is overrated (especially the mushroom tea)!

We got tipped on the best place to buy seafood (from a previous couple that stayed there). If you're going to cook on the grill or use the kitchen, Go to Sailor's Ketch. It's in the east end bay at the marina (close to the Airport). They supply all the restaurants on the BVIs with seafood. Buy it there and get it cheaper than in a restaurant.

We liked the general location of where we stayed on the west end of the island. Be aware, that all native island drivers tend to tailgate and drive fast, so to lower the stress level and your road rage, be prepared to pull over a lot to let them by.

Joshua Bay Beach on the northeast end of the island was the best we found. No one was there, and it's a nice curved strip of sand a mile long. Least favorite was Cane Garden Bay Beach - OK but it was very crowded when the cruise ships were docked in Road Town. Overall, we had a great time here and would book it again.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank GailWB
Reviewed November 11, 2005

My husband and I stayed here for a few days on our honeymoon. We enjoyed the seclusion of the cottage and the incredible view off our deck.

The cottage is quite small and could definitely use some sprucing up - rather shabby furnishings, mildew in the bathroom, etc. Also, in terms of the bathroom, if you expect complete privacy this is not the place for you.

The owner is nearby if you need anything. I was all set to like her based on other people's reviews. However, we didn't get the greatest first impression as she was miffed at us when we arrived. She claimed (incorrectly) that we had arranged with her to pick us up early in the day from the ferry, and she was angry that she had waited by the phone all day for us to call and instead we showed up by taxi late in the afternoon (as I had emailed her were our plans). It slowly came out that she had gotten us mixed up with another couple on their honeymoon arriving later that week, although she continued to seem skeptical that we were not the couple she was thinking of. Still, she was nice enough to drive us to the supermarket and to go pick up our rental car.

Be warned that there is a very steep walk or drive up to the cottages. The walk to the beach is manageable although you have to walk on a road shared with cars that are often driving quite fast. Going back up is quite a workout. You should definitely like hills if you are staying here.

Stayed: August 2004
5  Thank GrandTour23331
Management response:Responded November 14, 2005

I have five cottage, Every bathroom have a door, they where the onley gest here at the time, and every cottage are 100 ft apart from each other. I was never miffed at them at any time, and never did mistake them for any one else.
I diding do any thing for them to dis like me but that ok, you win some and you lose some.
It is good to know that I was nice at some point in there stay.
And for the size of my cottage, I always tell my gest that Flamboyant is a large studio, any I was not angry at any one.
My website say that I am 250 ft above sea leavle, I am not on the beach so you must walk on the road or drive down hill to get there, so that put you on the road, at long bay you have to cross the street to get to the long bay beach,I hope they wont thak this out on the BVI.

Carol

Reviewed June 23, 2005

My husband and I chartered a boat for 10 days from Tortola. We decided to spend the first few days on the island to decompress from life and get into the island swing of things before picking up the boat. What an amazing place!

If you're looking for a sensual place to reconnect with a loved one...this is it. We stayed in Flamboyant, and the view and the seclusion were spectacular. Do get a car, as the climb up the hill is a killer. But well worth every step. The beach on Long Bay is a very short drive away...but it is a drive. It is pristine and quite.

If you need external entertainment (TV, phone, etc.) this is not the place for you. But if you're looking for peace, quiet, beauty, and true island hospitality...book this inn!

Oh, and Carol rocks. ;^)