US$154
7 Mile Beach Resort and Club(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$182
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$114
ComfortSuites
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$235
US$209
  • Pool
US$1,084
US$922
US$399
  • Pool
Sunshine Suites Resort(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$269
Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman(West Bay)(Great Value!)
WIOL.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsshore divingdive staffcathy churchdive shopgreat divemermaid statuedive tripsea pooldive sitesunderwater photographymorning boatgrand caymanexperienced diversrental geardive lockerstingray citydiving package
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Our group of 8 stayed at Sunset House from 7-12-2012 thru 7-26-2012. Three of us stayed in room 411. Three more stayed in room 412, and Two in room 304.

Room 411 is located on the ground floor at the furthers corner of the resort. Proximity to the dive shop, pool, and restaurant is sacrificed for quiet and privacy. The room was large and comfortable. It had two comfortable king sized beds, TV, small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and a safe. The room had a small wall mounted air-conditioner which did a good job of keeping the room cool. The bathroom had a shower with good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The only negative comment about this room was the toilet it was very slow to flush.

Room 412 is not located next to room 411. In fact Room 412 is located in an entirely different building. This room is on the top floor and centrally located in the resort. The view from the balcony offers great views of the ocean and cruise ships. This room is smaller than room 411 and had two queen size beds, TV, small refrigerator, microwave, and safe. This room did not have a coffee maker. The room had a small wall mounted air-conditioner which did a good job of keeping the room cool. The bathroom had a shower but had unreasonably low water pressure. The toilet was also very slow to flush. The shower had hot water but because of the absurd low water pressure it made it most uncomfortable to take a shower. Room 411 had good water pressure but room 412 the water only trickled out of the shower head.

Room 304 is located right next door to the dive shop. In fact this room is constantly mistaken for being part of the dive shop. If you get this room do yourself a favor and post a sign on your door stating that it’s not part of the dive shop. People will walk in on you if you don’t lock your door. This room is small, noisy, and is in the most highly trafficked area of the resort. This room has 1 queen size bed, a small refrigerator, TV, and a small wall mounted air-conditioner that does a good job of keeping the room cool. Be warned that this room has no hot water. If you are a people watcher and don’t mind the noise and don’t need hot water then this is the room for you. The view from your front porch is of the bar to the left of you, dive shop to the right and straight out in front is where everyone gathers for the morning and afternoon boat dives. You will hear the clanging of scuba tanks, and the radio from the people upstairs. The only other thing you have to consider about this room is drying your things out on the front porch. People will mistake your items for those of the dive shop and might borrow them.

Restaurant: The staff is friendly and polite. The only down side to the restaurant was breakfast. Most resorts have a buffet style breakfast but Sunset house only offers a limited menu. Breakfast was OK but you are not going to get up in the morning and be excited about it. Lunch and Dinner was much better. No complaints from anyone about Lunch or Dinner.

House Cleaning: Excellent no complaints from anyone. Whoever is in charge of house cleaning needs a raise. They do an exceptional job.

Dive Shop: Lots of mixed reviews here. This is probably the weak link of the resort. You can have a good experience or you can have a bad one just depends on who is running the shop. Some of the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They are courteous and polite and will engage you in conversation. On the other hand you my encounter attitude with a sprinkling of Superiority and a dash of Power and control issues. One day you can be left with the mind set that you want to go book another trip with these people and the next day you will feel like you are still back at home at your job dealing with unreasonable people. Bottom line is: don’t expect a friendly experience from all of these people.

Boat Diving: The boat crew is drawn from the same well as those of the dive shop. You can have a wonderful experience or you can be made to feel that your only reason for being on the boat is to praise the dive master. Daylight and dark between the staff. I watched one customer ask one of the staff what the visibility was and the staff member responded in a derogatory tone: “Your looking at it” rolled his eyes and went about his business. I looked at the customer and thought well he told you. Lol…

Front Office: The front office has a guest area that sports a small library and a computer to access the internet. There is always brewed coffee and is well kept and clean. The front desk staff are friendly, polite and courteous.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
17  Thank Deepoutdoors
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I just returned from a weeklong stay at Sunset house with my husband. We are divers and snorkelers who typically take 2-3 dive trips per year. We chose Sunset House because of its convenience for divers, but also because it is the home base of Cathy Church’s underwater photography operation (we have taken Cathy’s classes in other locations).

I was really happy with my choice of Sunset House for this trip to Grand Cayman. We like laid-back, smaller boutique hotels that lack a discernable “corporate formula”. Sunset House is exactly that.

Please read on for my detailed review.

Rooms

The rooms at Sunset House are very basic, but they are clean and well serviced. I have a few small “nits” about the room setup, and since this is a detailed review, I will share them.

-Since this is a diver/snorkeler’s hotel, I was surprised by the lack of drying lines in the shower and on the balcony. It became cumbersome and annoying trying to dry our rashguards and wet bathing suits and shorts on the patio floor.

-The Wi-Fi in the rooms is non-existent to atrocious, however, Sunset House is very upfront about this and I knew to expect this. Wi-Fi is reliable in the bar and restaurant.

-This resort is a hub for underwater photographers, and our room had no desk for laying out our camera and tech equipment (techie problems!).

-We had an upstairs room in building 4. The room had a nice sunset view. On my next visit, I will request a downstairs room in building 4 or 5. The downstairs rooms have balconies with steps to the ocean, so you don’t have to drag your wet items through the room.

-The mattresses were not very comfortable, and after full days of diving and snorkeling, I wished for a better quality mattress at night.

I don’t think anyone goes to Sunset House to spend lazy days in his or her room.

Grounds/Resort Layout

Sunset House sits on the rocky shore. The first and most important thing to know, since this is an island famous for beaches, is that Sunset House has no beach. It sits on a great reef for diving, but beach-goers will not get their fix here. The resort has two pools – a conventional swimming pool and a saltwater pool that is open to the ocean. There is a Jacuzzi by the conventional pool (it is not hot). If you do not dive or snorkel and wish to swim in the pool, be forewarned that divers have the right of way with respect to the pool. If divers are in the pool training, others may not swim. While I understand that it is a dive resort, there are times that I like to swim a few laps for exercise. This was not always possible due to the dive students in the pool. The grounds are nicely manicured, and there are numerous coconut palms that give the resort a very tropical feel.

One thing to note about the grounds is the presence of Sunset House’s next-door neighbor, which appeared to be some type of oil storage or refinery. Several large industrial tanks line the shoreline. From time to time, a large tanker ship moors just off the shore. It is directly in the field of view from Sunset House. This didn’t necessarily bother me, but others may see it as detracting from the atmosphere. Another thing to note is that Sunset House is in the GCM landing path. Now, if you've been to SXM, the planes aren't quite that close, but they are still pretty low in altitude. For me, this was a positive because I am a planespotter. Others may be annoyed by the noise.

Restaurant/Bar

The restaurant at Sunset House, Seaharvest, has a varied menu with quality offerings. Daily breakfast was included with our package, and it consisted of juice, coffee (which was quite good), toast, cereal and a choice of hot items such as omelets, pancakes or French toast. The lunch and dinner menus offered a variety of American, Mexican and Indian items. Some of my favorites were the veggie tacos and the tofu vegetable curry. Vegetarians are well cared-for here. The restaurant service was friendly and attentive.

The open-air bar is a fun place to have a drink and a bite. It is especially nice at sunset, where Sunset House’s west-facing orientation makes for killer views. The bartenders and servers at the bar are friendly and helpful, and the overall atmosphere is laid-back and relaxing.

Diving/Snorkeling

Sunset House’s location on the reef was a major factor in our decision to stay there. The diving and snorkeling could not be easier or more convenient. The on-site dive operation, Sunset Divers, is professional, safety-conscious, friendly and very well organized. As well as a boat diving schedule, they offer unlimited shore diving and make tanks available 24/7. You will find a mermaid statue and a wreck on the house reef. The coral is OK, but not the best you will find on Grand Cayman.

I was not overly impressed with the snorkeling on the house reef. I am, admittedly, a very jaded snorkeler, but I expected a bit more. The surge can be quite heavy, often making it difficult to snorkel around the rocks at the shoreline. Also, the coral on the reef starts at about 15-20 feet, so it is difficult to take good snorkeling photos here due to the depth.

This would be a great place to learn to dive. It’s also a great place to test out new underwater photography equipment. I recommend the house reef for diving, but it did not impress me as a snorkeling site.

Cathy Church’s Underwater Photography Operation & Gallery

This is why we really came to Sunset House, and I can say with 100% certainty that we were not disappointed! Cathy Church is a renowned underwater photographer, and her home base and gallery is located at Sunset House. It’s an impressive operation, offering a mind-blowing array of photography equipment. They also offer instruction and have a gallery of Cathy’s images for purchase. Cathy’s operation made our vacation. Every one of her staff members is amazing! Thank you Diana and Theunis for your assistance with our many questions.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay at Sunset House, and we are already planning a repeat visit.

For more photos and info, please visit my blog here:

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room in building 4 or 5.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank luv4travelNJ
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Had a blast here. We got the ocean view apartment and it was more than enough for us. Next time we'll be sure to use the kitchen more. We had some crazy crazy reservation issues with people arriving the day before, leaving mid-week, some only staying first 4 days, some coming in and staying last 3 days, etc...and they accommodated our constant requests and changes with no problems. We know we drove Kim crazy, but we love her for it and promise simplicity next time!

Overall, a great dive hotel. Not too many frills, which is fine and was expected. Breakfast was filling to start the day, My Bar was great for lunch/dinner...but we will definitely cook more next time in our kitchen to mix it up a bit since it got a bit mundane towards the end of the week. Amazing Indian food there though!

We loved diving with Sunset Divers, made great friends there and we all had a blast. I can't wait to go back and for the ease of diving and great house reef, I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just spent one week at Sunset House. The accommodations were dingy and badly in need of cleaning and paint - there was someone's undies sticking out from under my bed, and none of the drains in the bathroom worked. It essentially is a motel. Each room has an installed air conditioning unit that blasted all night - the sound was horrible all night, and affected our sleep.
The location is about a 15 minute walk along a busy highway without curbs into Georgetown - it took us about 2 hours to walk to 7 mile beach (which their literature touts as being nearby).
Upon arrival, the receptionist was indifferent, if not outright belligerent. She didn't smile for the first two days, until she was replaced. We felt as though we were putting her out just by arriving at 4:45pm. She told us that the dive shop was closed (even though it is posted as being open until 5pm), but didn't know anything about its operations. We received no orientation to the facilities, and there were no maps of the island or any literature at all offered or available.
We had a couple of issues with our dive equipment (it seemed that my sons' regulator was leaking), and no one at the dive shop knew anything about any of our issues - nor did they even offer to try to help. It clearly was our problem.
The video you find on their website states that all of the divers on the boat vote on the location - that never happened all week. In fact, one morning the dive master selected two sites that were minutes from Sunset House - we could have snorkeled the sites. There are 365 dive sites at the Grand Cayman, but he chose two that were right off of our beach - we certainly were not consulted nor did we vote on these site selections.
The food is fine, but the waitstaff is harried and stretched thin. One waitress told us that if we charge the food to the room, the wait staff does not receive the tips - they go into a general fund. So, she encouraged us to pay cash or credit card so that she would receive the tips - and, she was almost literally running from table to table just to keep up.
The dive staff were friendly, but did not seem very willing to help out or provide much assistance.
Having been diving at several dive resorts around the world (Anthony's Key, Roatan, is one of our favorites), I was surprised to find that the room/dive package only included 2 morning dives. All other dives you are on your own to jump off of their pier. Other dive-specific resorts accommodate 4 dives per day. No afternoon boat dives (other than an extra-charge wreck dive and a trip to the 12' shallow Stingray City) were even offered.
Overall, we felt that we were lured into this motel by false advertising - both in print (we see their ads in Sports Diver magazine) and on their website. We definitely did not get our money's worth. It is one thing to pay a low price, and get a low-grade experience. It is another to pay full price for a low-grade experience.
I cannot recommend this particular hotel/dive hotel (I just cannot bring myself to call it a "resort") to anyone.

Room Tip: We had two rooms - they both were dirty, dingy, and extremely noisy from the AC unit.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
15  Thank Elizabeth P
shandytara, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Good Morning Elizabeth and thank you for your email.

In looking through your comments it occurs to me that some of your issues might have been addressed and resolved to your liking had you spoken to me while I still had an opportunity to improve your stay. What you are describing is not what typically happens at Sunset House and Sunset Divers and I am sorry you and your family did not enjoy yourselves. I know that having to book that second room so your sons could have their own space was probably not what you had planned on and I apologize that the ac unit was a bit noisy. With respect to your son's regulator, our dive ops manager looked at the unit and determined that because of the brand we were not able to do the repairs as we do not stock parts and our staff are not certified for that particular brand. He recommended a repair facility and we offered to drop it for you which you declined, and it is unfortunate you felt we had left you to find your own solutions.

Should you wish to follow-up on any of your comments or provide additional details about your stay I would very much like ot hear from you and I can be contacted via email at Sunset@SunsetHouse.com.

Ken Thompson

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I spent a week at the Sunset House in George Town, and dove with their group for 6 days.
diving = 5 stars, food/bar = 4 stars, hotel = 3 stars. Average = 4 stars.

The dive operation was awesome - the staff was friendly and helpful; among the best I've met in years of dive trips all around the Caribbean and Pacific. Aaron, Jackie and Benji were the three staffers I dealt with the most, and all were fabulous - but the other folks were friendly and helpful too. 5-stars!

The bar (My Bar) was a very nice place, certainly conveniently located "right there". The food was a bit pricey for what you got though (which is typical of Cayman - at least the 'tourist zones', there is affordable food if you go off the main drag a couple blocks). The Indian curry dishes were very flavorful. 4-stars.

The accommodations were average at best. While the rooms did have A/C (required since the outside temps were in the 90's all day), the "hot water" was lukewarm and took a while to arrive. Their "free wifi" seemed to constantly cut in and out - not a huge deal, but if you try to download or upload pictures or other files you'll have to keep starting over. The bar had better wifi - I just went and used it, but that wasn't always very convenient to do. I've seen worse, but I've also seen better - especially for the price. The staff were friendly and helpful, though. 3-stars.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends