All reviews shore diving dive staff cathy church dive shop great dive mermaid statue dive sites dive trip sea pool underwater photography morning boat grand cayman experienced divers dive locker rental gear diving package stingray city
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here MAR '12, will be going back MAR '13 for week of diving. Great location, great diving, friendly staff, good restaurant on site. Very close to Georgetown. While it is not the fanciest hotel on the island, divers will appreciate it as a Diver's hotel. Wifi was spotty, if that is important to you. It is not "valet" diving. You bring your gear from te lockers to the boat, but the walk is short. Diver masters and crew were great and very helpful getting you back on the boat and getting BCD/tank off. Large boats with ladders for getting back on board. I would reccomend for anyone looking to dive Grand Cayman.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Scupper5
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Sunset House is an amazing place. The diving shop is great - people are professional and friendly, the equipment is good, the shore diving is beautiful and everyone will try to make you have as great an experience as possible. The hotel has amazing views and a wonderful restaurant right by the sea shore. The food is delicious, the rooms are nice and clean and the hosts are amazing. I will definitely come back again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have balconies with an amazing view :)
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Anonymous12094
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our group of 18 visited Sunset House last week. All the feedback that I've been getting is that they really enjoyed the place. We had a block of ocean view rooms. With us all together and picnic tables, lawn chairs, and a hammock out front it was a good place to gather and watch the beautiful sunsets. "My Bar" was another popular place to meet. I got quite a few "I love My Bar" comments. We'd gather for a drink, a meal, to check the internet, or just visit and watch the sun set. The pool was clean and another nice place to hang out.
Our room was clean. The railing on our private deck worked well for drying towels & dive gear. The oceanview rooms had microwave ovens and refrigerators. We picked up a few groceries at the local supermarket which helped keep our meal costs down.
Diving was good as always in the Caymans. It was easy to get on and off the boat from shore. Getting back on the boat from the water would have been a little easier with two hand holds instead of one in the center of the boat especially when the boat was rocking. The crew was very good at helping though. As Great Lakes Shipwreck Divers we enjoyed the Kittiwake wreck dive. My son loved Stingray City. We had pretty much the same dive crew all week which was nice. They were helpful and entertaining.
At the end of the week the seas got rough but we were able to get in all of our dives. They put us in a small bus and took us to the South Shore.
Everyone working at the resort that I came in contact with was friendly and polite.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CMGScuba
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have stayed at Sunset House on seven different occasions from 2008-2012, and I will continue going back. I love it. Love it, love it, love it.

Sunset House is a dive hotel. If you are not coming to Grand Cayman to dive, I recommend that you stay elsewhere. However, if diving is the primary purpose for your trip, then this is your place.

First, the dive shop and staff is wonderful. Pete runs a friendly and efficient operation. His staff is knowledgeable and the absolute best group of dive instructors anywhere. They run daily two-tank boats every morning around 8:15 am. They can provide any level of instruction, and I have taken several classes from them -- Advanced, Nitrox, and Rescue Diver. They have my highest recommendation.

After the morning boat dives, you'll want to eat lunch at MyBar (1st place in Scuba Diving Magazine's Top 100 Best Dive Bar category) . The food is wonderful, and the view is amazing (especially at sunset since the ocean-front, open-air bar faces west). I usually eat every lunch and dinner of my trip here, and breakfast at the hotel restaurant is included in many packages.

Then you've got the afternoon and evening shore dives. You can literally walk 40 yards from the dive shop and jump in the water. There is lots to see -- the cruise ship anchor, the Nicholson wreck, and the world-famous mermaid. And a great reef and the wall. Many locals come to Sunset House to dive.

The rooms are not as luxurious as other resorts, and there is no white, sandy beach to lounge (but there is a pool). Otherwise, Sunset House is perfect. Love it.

Room Tip: I don't spend much time in the room since I'm either diving or at MyBar. I always stay in the Courtyard rooms since they are cheaper and have quicker access to the dive shop, the dive lockers, and MyBar. I believe the ocean view rooms have been recently renovated.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Robb C
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thanks Robb,

We look forward to seeing you again soon... With Non Stop flights on Cayman Airways out of ORD and great air prices, we hope that your return is sooner than later.

All the best,

Keith E Sahm

Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are 2 different aspects to this resort:
1- The diving (Excellent)
2- The accommodations (Poor)
The Diving:
Amazing dive location! Unlimited free shore dives is a dream come true, with unlimited free air tanks (80 cu ft)! Convenient, guided, and safe boat dives. Incredibly friendly & knowledgeable dive professionals. Even when bad weather crept up, the staff knew when to close and then reopen the shore diving. Free lockers available for dive gear. A big tub for rinsing dive gear. Lots and lots of areas for drying the gear in the sun!
The Accommodations:
Well maintained landscape. Clean swimming pool with adequate space for sunning and relaxing. Waterfront rooms have the basic necessities, we were told by some guests. Because of last minute reservations, my brother and I ended up staying in a courtyard room. No coffeemaker, safe, hairdryer, or iron in any of these courtyard rooms! Common Really?
However, when I asked, I was lucky to get the last iron & board, & hairdryer! Had our coffee with the morning breakfast at the restaurant, which had good food and service.
Checked in on Friday with no Internet service except at the bar "My Bar". Checked out on Wednesday to fly to Little Cayman, and still no Internet but at the bar. To us, and most guests, it's totally unexceptionable in this day and age!

The solution to this resort:
1- Upgrade the rooms.
2- Fix the Internet.
3- Have the same type staff who currently run the dive operation run/manage the resort accommodations.
After taking the above recommendations, this resort would become one of the best in Grand Cayman Island!

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard rooms at all cost!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sameer,

Thank you for writing your comments and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the diving as much as we do here.
As we state our on website, courtyard rooms do not come with all the bells and whistles that the ocean view rooms have. As you stated, we have irons, ironing boards, safety deposit boxes, and hair dryers all available at the front desk. There is hot coffee in front lobby all day long for you as well as a computer to use as well.

The courtyard rooms are under some remodeling and the first area to get the renovated Wi-Fi as the bar area is going to be that 500 block you were in.

We hope we get the chance to see you again.

Warm regards,