“We loved the Anchorage and we will be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Anchorage Condominiums

The Anchorage Condominiums
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“We loved the Anchorage and we will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed at the Anchorage from 2 - 12 May 2011 and really enjoyed the entire experience. We stayed in the gardenview condo and felt like it had everything we needed and was very comfortable. I agree with what someone else suggested and that is to see what all the condo has before going to the grocery store. Ours already had some spices, coffee, coffee filters and we also left dry pasta and some other grocery items for the next goup. We thought the Manager Judy was a super helpful, very nice lady, also Amanda the houskeeper always had a smile on her face and she was just really a special person. We thought that for us it was a good location, we liked renting a car because it gave us so much freedom to go wherever we wanted. Our main prioity was snorkeling and we did it every day and look forward to coming back next year and finding more places to snorkel. We will definately stay here again, this time with a ocean view. If anyone reads this and stays at the Anchorage, tell Amanda and Judy hi from Tina and Mark.

Room Tip: Pleas make sure to ask for anything you need because they will try very hard to make your visit perf...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank frenchies_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

Staying at The Anchorage was the highlight of our trip to Grand Cayman. Great location, great beach and ocean entry, extremely clean and well managed. We stayed in Unit #11 - great view, nicely decorated and well equipped. We enjoyed talking with Patrick, the grounds keeper - he alerted us to the sea turtle activity in the area(!) and it was obvious that he takes great care of the outdoor areas - very clean and well maintained.

No more than half the units were booked during the week we were there. We never had a problem using a cabana when we wanted one but I can see where it might be a problem when more fully booked - a consideration if your stay is during the busy season. There is road noise (not unique to The Anchorage - unfortunately, you experience it anywhere along Seven Mile Beach). We highly recommend a white noise machine for nighttime - we always travel with one.

There are grills available poolside - do wish they had been gas instead of charcoal. We decided by the time we purchased all we would need for a burger meal plus charcoal at Cayman prices, it wouldn't be worth it. It was wonderful that beach towels were supplied and we were able to exchange them several times during the week! We also borrowed floats and noodles from the office. Housekeeping/maid service was excellent and unobtrusive.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank LoveBandBs_8
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

I travelled to the Caymans as a child and have fond memories of the time I spent there. I recently went back on my honeymoon, the first trip I have made as an adult. I have to say the island is more beautiful than I remember.

We were referred to the Anchorage from friends that stayed there in the past and are so happy that they let us in on their little secret. The rooms are wonderful. They are bright and clean, decorated beautifully. The staff is great, Judi in particular is amazing. Anything we needed she was eager to help with.

As I was reading some other comments, I was surprised to read OH's but I did get a chuckle out of it. I imagined a wave coming and eating the beach in front of the Anchorage while leaving the neighboring sands undisturbed. Well I can assure you that no angry waves have devoured the beach at the Anchorage. As you can see in my pictures, the sand is white, the water is blue, and we found a piece of paradise.

I was able to use a cabana anytime I wanted. I can't stay in the sun for extended periods of time so I was in the shade more than I was in the sun. Normally I would worry about hogging it but the other cabanas were empty the entire time we were there. While I enjoyed the view and a book, my wife grabbed a float and hit the water. The beach was not crowded at all. There were some people enjoying a walk but definitely no oppressive foot traffic that you may see at a large resort. The other guests had plenty of room to spread out and grab a slice of sand. One guy was turning his chair throughout the day like a rotisserie chicken, ah the memories!

So would we recommend the Anchorage to friends? Let me put it this way. My wife and I have lived most of our lives in Florida. We currently live 30 minutes from the beach. We can go anytime we want. We are counting the days until we touchdown again in Cayman. When we do, the Anchorage will be waiting.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JnMHope
Ferndale, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

I am in the middle of my third stay at The Anchorage and once again am loving it. The condos are always clean, well-decorated and have every amenity you would ever need. They are affordable and in a great location. The staff is helpful and present if you need something. And I love that there is coin laundry available by the office.

Though the beach has washed away and is smaller than my previous two visits to The Anchorage, that won't keep me from visiting next time. I can't do much about Mother Nature's plans and all of the rest of the advantages of staying here make it worth it. Even though it's currently a bit smaller than usual, it is quiet, gorgeous and there is always lots of room around the pool and the cabanas.

There are plenty of lounge chairs and space and there is even a grill for visitor use which is nice. The pool and deck area always are clean and kept up nicely.

Though you need a car to get to many places on the island, it is great that you can walk to a few places, like Tiki Beach for lunch and other places if you are a real walker.

I won't ever stay anywhere else in the Caymans.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ksbDetroit
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

I am very surprised that ohio did not enjoy thier stay because i have stayed at the anchorage every year,the last time was November 2010 and found this to be the best hotel for the money-the beach is wonderful,and the adjacent property (beach) allows for lots of room to spread out -you would be hard pressed to find a better value for the dollar with the condos very nicely appointed ,and the staff is wonderful-i would reccomend it over and over -and will be going back this year !!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank macbab
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

I feel a bit deceived by prior reviews. I was expecting a quiet location with a nice beach on the quiet end of SMB, but that is not what The Anchorage provides. After walking up and down the beach, I determined that there are several other condos which fit this bill much better than the Anchorage. Our condo itself was very comfortable and nicely decorated and maintained, but that was the highlight. We were disappointed to see that the beach in front of the condo is very small...among the smallest we saw...and nearly washed away (there is a steep drop-off). The pool/garden area is quite small, too, and was very crowded during our stay (hard to find beach chairs and all cabanas "saved" by 9 am). The reef near the beach is good, and we enjoyed the easy snorkeling...that was a plus.
In summary, though the condo unit itself was nice, I think there are many better choices on this end of the beach (with much larger beach areas, more space to spread out, and equally nice accomodations). If we come back, we will stay at the Commonwealth, the Mandalay, or the Renaissance.

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank ohcharten
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

We returned to The Anchorage in December 2010 after suffering 5 long months without a dive trip (what can we say, we like to dive ... a lot). We've been to Grand Cayman several times, and this was our second stay at The Anchorage. You can see our other review is in here somewhere. I write this one to give families with young kids some extra info on the cabana/shade/beach situation.

Another reviewer had some issues with the cabana saving and the beach entry. As the reviewer pointed out, a bunch of that has to do with weather patterns, and there were several weeks of rough water in West Bay that affected the beach in front of The Anchorage. When we were there in July, it was all sand, all calm, and a lot more sand real estate between the condos and the water. In December, we were there when there was rough water on West Bay and there were some crazy waves (in our several trips, I've never seen waves like this on 7 mile beach; the water at Georgetown was cresting almost on the road, and it was wave action of which any surfer would be enviable). ** Here's an aside for divers, go with Indepth Watersports, and you'll always be able to dive; Nat's boat is fast and he can get to stuff that's far away. On those days, we went to the South Sound. We never missed a day of diving for rough conditions. **

During the week, much of the beach eroded. It went from a smooth entry one day to one-half foot drop ledge the next; this was the week right before Christmas. Since my kids are maniacs, it was actually very fun for them. They made a slide, they hurled themselves off it it, and they generally made a thing of running into and up on it. I can see how this would not be great for a 2 year old.

However, the beach will be different when you are there. It might be worse, it might be better, but it will definitely be different. And it's a crapshoot for any beach property on the island. When we used to stay in Villas Pappagallos, the beach was different each time we came. It just depends on what kind of surf they've had and what time of year you go. Also, it changes pretty quickly. And, if the beach in front of the Anchorage isn't great, you can walk anywhere on 7 mile beach and find a great spot. Any part of the beach is up for grabs.

My kids never sit, so the cabana has never been an issue for us. When I want them to get some shade, I drag them over to the vacant lot to play in front of the trees. With a kid who will sit and dig, you will probably be pretty happy to sit under the cabanas. In our two trips there, the cabanas have never been fully occupied, so I've never experienced wanting a cabana and not getting one. We've never seen people saving cabanas like the other reviewer experienced, but it's probably an issue sometimes, and, if it's an issue, Judi in the office could help.

As for the pool/sand toys, there've always been some to use. We don't bring our own, but we ask Judi if there are any before we check in, and there have always been some waiting for us at the condo. Some people might bring there own, but there are surely communal toys (and noodles and floats) around for the using. If you don't know if it's the Anchorage's, you can just ask Patrick (the grounds guy). He'd know.

In December, we stayed in the 3rd floor 3 bedroom unit. It was great. Plenty big, as nice as the 2BR one we stayed in in July. I think it's the same one the other reviewer (with the cabana issue) stayed in, and that reviewer gave it a good description.

Overall, the thing you need to know is that this place is a bang for the buck, it's clean, and it's pretty darn good for kids. It's excellently located to catch a dive boat leaving from Morgan's Harbor or West Bay dock, and it's easy to get to the South Sound from there. It's not as crowded as being close to the resorts on 7 mile beach. It's far away from the cruise shippers.

If you haven't spent much time there or if you haven't been in a while, you can look for a book with pictures taken after Hurricane Ivan. We've been going since about 2002, and, post Ivan, the beaches changed a ton. In fact, they had to remove the beach from the main road, and, 6+ years later, you can still see piles of sand leftover from when the beach washed ashore. A year later, the beaches were back to how we remembered, and now they've changed again. But, it's always amazing.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family