“Ritz Carlton, Grand Cayman”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Fairfield, California
“Ritz Carlton, Grand Cayman”
Reviewed 18 December 2006

I read all the reviews of Grand Cayman Island and the Ritz Carlton, in particular, and our trip exceded our expectations by the largest of margins. We were there from
Dec. 7-12. The Ritz was impecable and the service was beyond belief. Their staff was so accomodating to our every need and made our stay the best it could be. The resort is on the best stretch of Seven Mile Beach and has awesome snorkeling right off shore. Look for the giant spiney lobsters and the resident 8 foot morey eel. Our 6 and 10 year old sons both had a wonderful time, and they were treated with special attention to assure their stay would provide life long memories.

We ate at all the resort's resturaunts and the food was great. Their signature venure is Blue, by Chef Eric Ripert, and was to die for. Be peparded to spend at least $300 for two to dine their, but it is soooooo worth it!. The Blue Tip golf course was over priced but was still a fun challenge. Our Irish cattie named Larry made the experience a memorable one.

The locals are very friendly. We felt safe at all times, on all parts of the island. George Town ,the island capital, has many shops to look at, but we felt them to be over-rated and most had the same mix of iems. Sting Ray City and the Turtle Farm are a must see. Our favorite spot was Rum Point on the far north side of the island. We had lunch and of course run punch. The snorkeling was great with lots of variety of coral and marine life.

We had heard how expensive it was, and we were not let down. Be prepared to spend a lot of money due to the poor exchange rate. One Cayman dollar equals $1.25 US. You also pay a set 15% service charge at most resturants and bars on all purchases of food and booze.

Over all it was the best trip of our lives and can't wait to go back. Thank you goes out to the entire staff of the Ritz Carlton, whose great service and attention to detail, made our stay that much better.

B. Youngborg
Fairfield, Ca.

5 Thank BYoungborg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2006

My husband and I had the most relaxing and luxurious spa experience we have ever had at the Silver Rain Spa (and we are pretty discriminating spagoers).

Meticulous, customer-driven staff cater to your every need. Spotless facility. World class services.

Get a service every day so you can relax in the hot tub, sauna and steam room. Enjoy healthy and/or naughty snacks while you wait in one of many semi-private seating areas. They provide La Prairie products and everything you need to shower and get dressed after your service(s).

• Liked — World class service
  • Tips/Secrets — Book appointments one day at a time to make the most of the facility during your stay.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
7 Thank Jacoba S
Chicago
Reviewed 15 November 2006

Posted 11/16/06: Just rated #2 resort in Carribean according to Conde Nast.

Visited from Chicago 11/9-11/15, 2006 for strictly pleasure.

Added photos since the website does not have many photos that truly do the property justice.

Positives: (almost everything)

My wife and I just returned from a fabulous week at The Ritz in Grand Cayman.

We had an ocean view room which I highly recommend. It was a nice sized room with all of the extra amenities you come to expect from the Ritz. Separate soaking tub, marble floor, very comfortable bed, nice balcony, dvd player, bottled water, herbal teas and coffee all free.

The hotel is very large and if you have an ocean view room expect a 5 minute walk back to the lobby. We stayed on the 4th floor and could walk right down the stairs to the pool/beach within a minute, which made it very convenient.

The beach was spectacular from the calm, crystal clear, and warm ocean to the covered chaise lounges and actualy beds on the beach, which was a very nice touch.

The service was also top notch from the bellmen to the servers on the beach. It was our anniversary and they had a bottle of champagne in the room (nice bottle too) and the manager at Blu Restaurant knew it was our anniversary without telling him and they also gave us 2 miniature bottles of champagne as well.

The food at Blu (Eric Ripert of Le Bernadin) was amazing. My wife and I both had a fish dish which was wonderful. The lobster salad appetizer was out of this world as well. Expect to pay about $250 for dinner depending on alcohol/wine choice.

We also had 2 amazing meals at the laid back al fresco Eric Ripert alternative Periwinkle's. The price was much less expensive and the food still wonderful. We had the conch minnestrone which hit the spot (better the first night and not sure why) and the Shrimp Bolognese which is a must try! This meal was only about $130-$150 for two. The food on the beach was great, reasonably priced and simple (ceasar salad, sandwiches, burgers...etc).

We were going to eat at 7 the steakhouse there, but because my job has me in steakhouses so often we skipped it.

The gym was great with all top end equipment, personal tv's for cardio machines and fruit and water for your enjoyment. The Spa looked incredible but sitting on the beach everyday was therapeutic enough for us. Definitely will try one of the Spa's services on our next visit.

The 9 hole golf course was beautiful(Norman designed) but we did not get a chance to play. The Nick Bollitieri clay and grass courts were obviously great as well.

Another nice thing about the hotel is the international staff from everywhere from Romania, Spain, Mexico, US.....about 45 countries are represented. Also, the clientele was both young and old, couple and families. A nice mix but very quiet on the beach for a larger hotel. There seemed to be very few midwesterners. Most seemed to be from the south or northeast.

There is a reason this hotel was just rated in Conde Nast as the #2 resort in the Carribean. Everything from the service, beach, room, dining and facility all lived up to the hype. My wife and I will surely be back in the next couple of years.

Note: If you are looking for a small hotel, this is not the choice for you. The hotel is enormous but the attention to detail is great and the staff make you feel as if it is a much smaller resort.

Also, housekeeping tended to come in the early afternoon so don't expect them knocking on your door at 8 am....at least on the 4th floor/oceanside.

feel free to email me at soccerbeds15@hotmail.com with any additional questions.

• Liked — Service, Beach, Food
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Oceanview room, talk to Johanna before coming....She was fabulous!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
22 Thank DavidBed
Connecticut
Reviewed 11 November 2006

We had a great time at The Ritz in Grand Cayman Novembe 1-5. From the minute we arrived, the staff was very helpful and polite; the room was beautiful and very comfortable. But we didn't spend much time in the room as the pools and the beach were warm and inviting and the poolside staff was very accommodating. We had one miscommunication regarding the pickup time for a boat trip with Captin Marvin and both Captin Marvin Boat Tours and the Ritz staff went out of their way and more than made it up to us. Our best time was a kayak paddle into the Central Cayman Mangroves with Cayman Kayaks - absolutely worth the drive. And if you want to enjoy some good local food, dine at The Campion House in Georgetown. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed November 2006
8 Thank tabarb
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 November 2006

Just returned from a 7 night stay at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman - Two adults and two children (7 and 2). This was our second Ritz experience (first in Grand Cayman) and the best way I can describe it is WOW!

The vast majority of the previous Grand Cayman Ritz reviews on Trip Advisor are spot on - tremendous service, beautiful facilities, great location and beach, expensive, etc... I thought it may be helpful to provide some additional information for those traveling with small children.

I highly recommend renting a car (we used Andy's car rental which is right across the parking lot from the arrivals area of the airport - decent rates and decent cars). We heard several complaints from people who did not rent cars that taxi's were scarce and expensive. Having a car enabled us to seek out a variety of restaurants and gave us a better feel for the island.

While I would not characterize the Ritz as an overly "kid friendly" resort the staff did go out of their way to ensure our children were happy during meals, engaged them in conversation, and provided nice treats (chocolates on pillows, smoothie samples at the pool, etc...) on several occasions. Our room (King bed beachside) was plenty big for the four of us. It included a pull out sofa and our daughter slept in a large crib (she actually liked the novelty of it). We only ventured to the beach side pool (pool on other side was deserted) - plenty of lounge chairs which are made up upon request. Note that pool depth is 4 feet mimimum which is not very kid friendly. There is a ledge that runs along most of the side where our two year old could play safely. Beach was great - they provide plenty of beach toys (pails, shovels, etc...) for the kids. Little to no surf present during our stay. There is trampoline 'like" swim raft tethered in about 5 feet of water - great fun for the kids. Good snorkling off of the beach in front of the hotel (plenty of colorful fish, lobsters, etc...). My 7 year old could not get enough. Snorkel gear can be rented right on the beach. We did not try the kids club at the resort but did visit it for a look. There is a splash pool for kids under 3 with a soft rubber bottom. Programs looked very unique and held both on and off the property.

Restaurants at the Ritz were very good - we tried "7" for the buffet breakfast and Periwinkles for dinner - both kid friendly. Pool side food was good also. Room service for an in room movie night (there are DVD players in each room) was a hit. Good selection of the typical kids stuff (grill cheese, soup, chicken fingers, etc...). The Ritz has a good selection of free DVD movie rentals. Other restaurants we would characterize as kid friendly include" EATS" - very good breakfast and reasonably priced (a one block walk - across from the Westin), Coconut Joe's - outdoor dining, noisy, lot's going on... kind of like a Chili's. Fidel Murphy's - Pub food, very reasonably priced, great draft beers. Ragazzi - very good italian food (try the lobster pasta), a bit pricey but great quality. We also ate at Solana at the Marriott - a bit more upscale but very good service and they catered to the kids. They have two resident parrots which they brought to our table for the the kids to hold (great pictures).

Activities included diving for Dad (Red Sail Sports did a nice job), a snorkel trip to Stingray City - A MUST. Both my 7 and 2 year old hugged and kissed a 3 foot wide stingray with no fear whatsoever - highly recommend Captain Marvin's for the three hour/three stop trip - they are located in the same plaza as EATS. Snorkling off of Cemetary Beach was very good - saw turtles and a barracuda. Did not venture into Georgetown - was told it is a zoo when the cruise ships are in port.

Couple of additional cost saving tips: there is both a grocery store and a liquor store within walking distance to the hotel. The grocery store had everything you could possibly want including bakery items for breakfast. Beer and liquor are much higher priced than in the US but buying at the liquor store took some of the bite from paying $35 US for two Frozen drinks at the Ritz (literally).

All in all I can highly recommend the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman and Grand Cayman in general. We are frequest travelers to the Carribean (Westin St. John, Beaches Turks and Caicos, Little Dix, Westin Rio Mar, Hyatt Aruba, Disney Cruise Line) and found both the Ritz and the Island as a whole to be clean, safe, modern, upscale, and friendly.

• Liked — Service was top notch...
  • Disliked — Expected to pay top $$$ but some prices were out of the ballpark...
  • Tips/Secrets — Go and enjoy...
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
43 Thank Familytripster
Texas
Reviewed 7 November 2006

From the minute you land and drive to your hotel nothing shines brighter with such elegance as there. You are at a first class destination. The Ritz-Carlton is incredible with every thing you look for when planning a vacation to the island. People arrive and are ready to make this place a home away from home. The hotel is just lovely and the food is wonderful. Make sure you are in no way dieting. 7 Mile Beach is made for those that can appreciate beauty without fail. If you go to relax or tour the island its a great place to do both.
I am single and saw many other singles either working there or just relaxing. I would not hesitate to go alone there. I also highly recommend it as a couples resort with no hesitation.
Sylvia Nichols

9 Thank EdenCountry
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 November 2006

I actually originally booked the Westin. This was slightly more expensive than the Ritz Carlton. I don’t how they charge more. My travel agent thought I was crazy for not booking the Ritz. A few months later I decided to move to the Ritz (after reading reviews from this site). We booked a full ocean front room. It was about $1,000 more than the resort view for 7 nights. Not sure, if I would do this again. We enjoyed the view, but my wife may have let me purchase that new watch in Georgetown I was eyeing up had we not spent so much on the hotel :)

Wow, what a resort! We just got back from 7 nights at the Ritz Carlton.

My background: My wife and I are in our early 30's with one child (who stayed home with grandma). We love tropical vacations. I have stayed at the Maui Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, and Hyatt in Kaui, HI.

Hotel - I was afraid to stay at a Ritz Carlton hotel. 2 years we went to Maui and booked the Four Seasons. We didn't feel comfortable there. The cliental was very stuffy and I felt obligated to dress up to go sit by the pool or for a casual bite to eat before hitting the beach so we moved hotels. The Ritz in Grand Cayman is a beautiful hotel without being stuffy or condescending. The service is incredible from the moment we checked in until the time we left. Beach is great. This was our anniversary so they sent up chocolate strawberries with a bottle of champagne. Service at the pool / beach is excellent. We had lunch here 3-4 times. Excellent food. Yes, it was expensive, but the quality was very good. I don't mind paying money for good service and quality. If you want a $4 sandwich go to Subway.

Resort - You pull up to the resort and walk into the lobby. I assumed that this was on the same side as the ocean. But it isn't. We looked out the window there and there is the second pool. You need to walk through the hotel and over the strip ( all through the hotel) actually you can't even look out the windows when you are over the street. So, it would take us 5-8 mins to get to the main lobby from our ocean front room. But, we were able to get to the beach in 3 mins or so from our room. Not a big deal just an FYI.

Tipping - The woman who showed us to our room refused my tip! I tipped the bellman $6-8 for bringing up our bags. The guys who set up your beach chairs seemed like hard working guys, so I would give them $2 or so when we went to the pool / ocean.

We each booked 2 services at the Rain Spa. Best massage I have ever had. I got a 60 min aromatherapy. $150 US. This costs about $120 or so at nice Spas in the Washington, DC area. Beautiful table of fruits and sweets you are able to snack on before/after your spa treatment.

General Island overview:
Grand Cayman in general is very expensive. We went to dinner at the Wharf. It couldn't have been more than a mile away and the cab ride was $10+tip. So that is $25 round trip just to get to/from dinner. There is a grocery store very close to the hotel. We stocked up on soda and snacks. I bought a 6 pack of Heineken it was $10 CI=$12.50 US. We ordered a large pizza from Papa Johns with 2 toppings. $28 (including tip). Some people swear you have to rent a car. It just depends on what you want to do. We took the bus into Georgetown. $2 CI ($2.50 US each way / person. We did rent a car one day to go back into Georgetown and to dinner. I really enjoy the water activities. Most of the trips will pick you up at your hotel so you don't have to travel anywhere.

Restaurants:
Eats - across the street from the Westin . Great food at really good prices. Perfect place for any meal. We ate there 3 times throughout the week. Once for each meal.
Ragazzi - I really enjoyed this restaurant. Good Italian Food.
The Wharf - we had a late lunch so we split an entrée, Sea Bass. It was good, not great. We also tried the conch soup, didn't do much for me.
We looked at the menu at Copper Falls. The prices were outrageous. They serve Angus beef, not Prime beef that you find at a top steakhouse like Morton's or Ruth's Chris. So, we decided to skip it.
Blue (inside the Ritz Carlton) This was our anniversary dinner celebration. We got the 6 course tasting menu. $105 CI - $125 or so US $. My wife really enjoyed the food and how it was prepared. This isn't the type of restaurant you go to get a crab cake or just plain scallops. A lot of preparation goes into each sauce and the food presentation is incredible. This restaurant is not for everyone.
Seven - This is the steakhouse within the Ritz. I had read mixed things about this before arrived. We almost didn't eat here b/c of the reviews. Like everything at the Ritz it was expensive, but I really think you get what you pay for at the Ritz. Top quality food and incredible service. This actually was our favorite meal. (We are both meat lovers). Not as good as a Morton's or Ruth's Chris, but still very good. I think the restaurant would do more business if they fixed it up a bit. White table clothes would be a nice start. The atmosphere was very casual, but the food was great!
Lobster Pot - Excellent food. I got the lobster pasta and my wife got 2 Lobster tails. This was the best seafood I ate all week. My book said that Hemmingways at the Hyatt was the best place for Lobster, but the hotel and my dive buddies (locals at Dive N Stuff) strongly recommended the Lobster Pot.

Activities:
Sting Ray City - A must. We had a blast. We booked through Captain Marvin’s. $40 / person. Stopped at 2 snorkeling sites then stopped at Sting Ray City.

Scuba Diving - This was my first time. I asked by the pool and they recommended Red Sail. Then I asked the concierge and they told me about Dive N Stuff., a much smaller operation. I needed to get a resort certification first. Red Sail charged $165 for this. Dive N Stuff charged $105( both US $$) They picked me up at the hotel. While the other divers went into the water I took the "resort class" (45 mins or so.) Then I was able to dive. It was great. I went back the next day for 2 more dives. I went down about 60 Ft under water. We had about 4 other divers. Red Sail had 25 divers going down at once.

Georgetown - Nice to take a day off from being in the direct sun all of the time. What you would expect. 3-4 Cruise ships in. We went into Georgetown one day without the ships in figuring it would be easier to get around. Not everything was open. So, we had to go back when the ships came in. We had lunch at Senior Frogs. Decent food. 2 drinks and 2 orders of tacos. $75 US or so (including tip)

email me with any questions - ddicarlo99@yahoo.com. Please put Grand Cayman in the subject line.

• Liked — Service was top notch. The Ritz has thought of everything.
  • Disliked — The expense of the island in general.
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan ahead and do your research.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple