Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews chef anu owen island dive staff paddle boarding small island grand cayman other guests honor system third visit the entire staff great food the kitchen staff great diving year after year grouper bloody bay the reefs
Selected filters
Reviewed January 6, 2019

Whether it is kayaking, fishing, bird watching, or snorkeling, Southern Cross is a
beautiful spot to have fun and relax. The accommodations are lovely and very clean.
They have assembled a stellar staff, all friendly and doing everything to make sure
their guests are having a good time. We will go back!

Room tip: A room facing the sound.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rose Mary B
Reviewed January 4, 2019

As a returning guest of the Southern Cross Club, I was pleased to see the newly refurbished guest rooms. The décor is beautiful and the new mattress is very comfy!

What hasn’t changed is the incredible experience of staying here. Although the wind and seas didn’t cooperate every day, the dive staff adjusted and offered shore diving as an alternative. When we were able to be on the boat, we were taken to a variety of sites where the dive guides always found interesting sea life to show us.

The dive operation stresses safety but still maintains a fun and laid-back experience. It’s easy to get to know the other divers on the boat and make new friends. Mike, Sherry, Henry, Tim, and Trish are all top-notch guides who make the dive trips memorable.

I also did a morning offshore fishing trip with Patrick, the fishing guide. It was a blast and Patrick cheered me on as I reeled in three fish that morning.

My trip fell over Christmas and New Year’s, which can be a very busy time on the island. The buffets for Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve were incredible. It’s hard to believe the variety considering it’s such a small island that gets supplies by barge only when the weather permits.

Every morning, I was greeted with a smile and eggs cooked to order. Lunch featured soup, a hot dish, cold options, and made-to-order salads, which were fresh and delicious. Dinner now includes a vegan option for the appetizer and main course. While I didn’t try them, others who did raved about them. Chef Anu and his team consistently provide delicious meals. Chef Anu visits with the guests frequently and is warm and friendly.

The bar is a fun gathering place before and after meals where divers swap stories about their experiences and you’re able to get to know the other non-diving guests too. Javi the bartender is attentive and can create fun and delicious concoctions.

My new experience this trip was an in-room massage by Claire McGee that was fantastic. (See my separate review of Little Island Yoga for details.)

The 80’s themed New Year’s Eve party was lively and fun. We were also treated to a fireworks show on New Year’s Eve, which drew in many people from around the island.

The morning I left I took a pre-dawn shower in the outside shower. The Southern Cross constellation was over the ocean nestled in among what seemed like millions of stars. It was a moment I’ll remember forever.

As always, the only thing I don’t like about the Southern Cross Club is leaving. I’ve already made plans to return to this piece of paradise again in 2019.

Room tip: #1 is great for families, #12 is perfect for a romantic getaway for couples
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Charlotte C
Reviewed January 1, 2019

I hadn't been to this resort since 1998...before kids. Southern Cross Club.com was a relaxed place to stay offering all inclusive meals, kayak use, snacks, and non alcoholic drinks. We never had shoes on until we went mopeding around the island on our last day there. Their tag line "Barefoot Elegance" rings true.

Accomodations:
We had the family cottage #1 which had just been newly refurbished. It was clean and well laid out. There was a king with an open closet and shelves along with a dresser. It had draped windows that provided privacy at night and view of the living area and beach when open. The queen bedroom had the same closet/shelf option. The bathroom provided a closed door that had to have the light fan switch on to use. It offered another door to shut it off from the living area with a large shower with an open vent window and sink. Shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion were fully stocked as were soft large bath towels, hand towels and washcloths. The living area had a pull out twin that my younger son loved. Each room had it's own split AC with remote and fan. It was as comfortable as it got if you like a cool room at night and open breeze during the day. We had a hammock on the tiled porch and an outside shower. It's right across from the fishing dock and a short walk away from the main dining area/pool/jacuzzi/bar area. Highly recommended for a family of 4 or 5 (with smaller kids).

Restaurant/Bar/Pool area:
The bar is inside and outside. The pool is not heated but has an adjacent heated bubbling jacuzzi. The lounge/bar/pool restaurant area is the only location with wifi on the property. Plenty of outlets for charging in the main area.

Food:
They have an amazing chef that plans expansive holiday buffets. We were there for the Christmas one and saw there was going to be a New Year's party as well. The variety of food in the buffets was wonderful. multiple different vegetable, meat, desert options. During our stay they also had an Indian and pasta night buffet scheduled in between the plated meals you choose from selections offered every other day.
Breakfasts 7-9 offered eggs any way you preferred, a belgian waffle maker, juices, breads, cereals, and fruit. For our kids that slept in we were able to get plates made for them to take back to the room. The restaurant and housekeeping staff was very friendly and greeted you every morning asking what they could do to make your stay better. The manager, Ron, was hands off in this area. It was actually unclear who the manager was but since the staff more than made up for it, it didn't matter.

Diving:
Awesome staff! All from a different US or overseas location. Very accomodating, helpful, and friendly. Mike really stood out. He saw the boys (15 and 18) weren't as excited to be underwater as we were and found ways to interest them. Taking off fins, he challenged them to run across the sandy bottom and jump up off of it. Blowing rings was another UW activity. Love the enthusiasm the staff had! Loved the safety plan..They showed the equipment from small, medium, and serious kits on the boat. Defibrillator and Oxygen tank onboard. Has an underwater broadcasting system so you know what is going on if the boat has to leave to rescue a diver in trouble. Haven't seen this anywhere else! It also was a very nice touch to play Christmas songs underwater on the first dive in. Another nice touch was bringing out the Paul Humann Carribean ID books to show you highlights of what you may see on each dive. Haven't seen anyone do this before either over the 23 years I've been diving.
Due to rough seas we dove the west side for a couple of days before it calmed down. It's a tricky cut to get out of the reef from the dock when it is rough. Once we were able to get to the north side it had wonderfully healthy diving spots around and in the Bloody Bay Marine park. Lots of swim throughs, brightly colored sponges, schools of fish, juveniles, turtles, nurse sharks, eagle rays, rays, and other critters. No bleaching and only 3 lionfish we saw in total. A couple of days we were treated to circling around with pods of dolphins playing chicken on the bow of the boat. Every day there were flying fish on either side going or coming from the north side. Thank you Mike, Sherry, Tim, Tricia, and Henry. Always tip your divers!

Fishing:
Our son had a couple deep sea trips while we dove and caught barracuda, tuna, and wahoo. We enjoyed his fresh tuna sashimi and conch ceviche for apps. You catch it and they prepare it. The only warning is that the fishing guide, Patrick, can't be depended upon for keeping your spot fishing. Our son was planning on Tarpon fishing since the first day with confirmation from Patrick. It was the last time he'd be able to go and that day found out that Patrick booked someone else. The only other issue was that they tell you it's $550 for the boat and it can be split between the number of people on the boat. Patrick confirmed this with me prior to our son's trip out the first day but then didn't make good on this. He overcharged us $91 I'm still waiting to hear back from the hotel on this but haven't yet. He may be an exceptional guide, very knowledgeable about fishing, very friendly, able to hand reel in a wahoo if the rod breaks, but not very good on the business side. It was a big disappointment for my son to miss the Tarpon fishing.

Other Activities
There were other activities we did not take part in....Gingerbread house making and Christmas caroling at the church. We did do the sunset floating barge-with-a-bar cruise around the island that was a wonderful way of meeting other visitors and locals. There is a small island (Owen's Island) to kayak to you can catch conch for bait and fish off of. Bummed we missed the weekly naturalist talk at the research center down the road.
There seems to be a healthy local after dinner bar hopping crowd roaming from one resort to another There is a karaoke night at the Hungry Iguana next to the airport that seems popular too.
Bikes available and free to use at any time.
While the resort didn't seem to have a massage option when I originally called, There is a local, Claire McGee (Little Island Yoga) that is able to come to your room. She was very good and gave a nice deep tissue massage.

Shopping: Small market and liquor store not far. Seems many folks that come often buy their own and bring it to their room or directly to the bar...not sure.
Don't come expecting to buy local crafts. You need a permit to sell them and if you're not a local, you won't get one. I get they're trying to encourage local artisans but if there are none, there are no local crafts. This appears to be why the staff is all from off island. Locals may not want these types of jobs.

Added plus: No mosquitos and no seeums made it especially nice.

It is a place I can see returning. There are a few folks that are repeat visitors that are a bit cliquish. But there are many others that are very friendly.

Room tip: #1 Blossom Cottage for families
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank SuzanneN
Reviewed December 26, 2018

This is a beautiful and secluded hotel on a white sand beach with palm trees. It offers an intimate environment to relax in perfect natural surroundings. Kayaking to a close by islet is a highlight. They offer excellent and effortless diving with great and genuinely friendly service. The reef is in excellent health and plenty to see. Don't miss the night dive if the opportunity is offered.

Room tip: We preferred the ground floor room in the two-level buildings: right on the seafront
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2018

I just had my fourth stay at the Southern Cross Club. It was a beautiful experience!

The resort is all-inclusive – all the meals are included in the price. The quality of the food is fantastic – the chef, Anu, is very good. Every meal is like sitting down in a good restaurant.

Little Cayman is a tiny island south of Cuba. It has a population of less than 200 people, so it is pretty much empty. The resort is right on the beach, a scattering of little bungalows literally a shell’s throw from the water.

There is a very personal, family atmosphere at the resort. All the staff will know your name and, if you feel the least bit sociable, you will get to know most of the other guests.

The service is amazing. In the trips I have taken there, there are usually more resort staff than guests and someone is available at all times to help you with whatever you need.

The diving at the SCC is fabulous. The Little Cayman coral reefs and wall dives are some of the best in the world. The SCC dive operation is located on the property, with the dive boats no more than a 3 minute walk from any of the rooms. Very important to me, the dive operation is very tightly run and safety is paramount. I have not seen dive boats as well run anywhere else.

In addition, they always have a dive master/guide in the water, and usually no more than 6 divers per guide. They take care of all the equipment, so all you have to do is put out your equipment on your porch the first day and you never have to worry about it again. They have Nitrox, which I regard as a big plus. The dive masters are friendly and helpful and they are happy to give you suggestions on improving your diving and safety. In the water, they are very good at pointing out the flora and fauna – of which there is a tremendous variety.

While not diving, we have done a bit of paddle boarding, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling and cycling. I am not a fisherman, but fishing is also a big activity there – I heard many positive comments from people on their fishing experience.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends