“Paradise Found”
Review of Nevis

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Nebraska
3 helpful votes
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Just returned from 2 weeks on Nevis. What a fantastically beautifull and layed back Island. All the people were friendly and helpfull. Felt safe at all times. We rented the small Firefly Cottage up Springhill Road. A nice 2 or 3 minute drive down to the road that gets you to Oualie Beach or the Coco Beach and Pinny's. Very nice cottage with a kitchenette which was very very nice. Unless you want to spend a small fortune on dining out every meal get a kithcenette. Nevis is beautifull but if your looking for economical dining then Nevis is not for you. We went to the market for food and did alot of our own cooking especially for breakfast and about half the time for lunch and dinner. Salad and a simple sandwhich and a couple beers at most places for 2 people will rack you in the neighborhood of $75 to $100 and a meal at some of the plantation inns will be around $150 to $200 for 2 people.
So there you have it. A beautifull place to go but be prepaired to pay for the dining. Take a hike, Jim Johnson will take you up to the top of the Island or in a rain forest and fill you full of interesting facts about the history and the eco-system of Nevis. A very very informative person. Take in the Village Bar-B Q on Fri and Sat nights with the locals. Get a buzz at Sunshines with a few Killer Bees. Enjoy the leasurely drives around the Island while looking for gaots and monkeys crossing alot in front of you.
The Galipot has excellent food and a nice casual environment right beside the road looking towards St. Kitts.
Take a trip to St. Kitts for the day if youd like. Its very nice too but its sure nice to get back to Nevis for the layed back atmosphere.

2 Thank Barry S
south carolina
1 helpful vote
“True relaxation”
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Place to truly relax. If you are looking to escape the hustle and bustle and slow it down a few notches then Nevis is the place for you. There are lots of water activities to participate in as well as very uncrowded beaches. The native people are very friendly also. Only downside is food is rather expensive in comparison to the U.S.

1 Thank nclaxtonuga
Windsor, Ontario
7 helpful votes
“A dream home”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I stayed near Cox Village, and hiked to Nelson's Lookout. It was an interesting walk, and when we got there, found a damaged & apparently deserted house. It was next to the remains of Nelson's Lookout, and had a commanding view. If I had the money I would attempt to buy it (if someone hasn't beat me to it.) No Beach, no neighbours at that time, no pool, and solitude, but lots of posibilities (if you had scads of money).
The Nevesian people are friendly, there were lots of historical buildings and places. The island is small, but with lots of variety as far as interests are concerned.
A lovely island to visit, explore and enjoy. I hope it remains relatively unspoiled by tourists.

1 Thank Tropicale
Glenside, Pennsylvania
54 helpful votes
“What to Expect at the Restaurants”
Reviewed June 1, 2006

Nevis is not quite the restaurant hotspot that travel Sites would have you believe. Like many islands in the Caribbean, there are geographical obstacles that make it harder for dining establishments to get the quality goods needed to make top notch dishes. After speaking with several Island chefs, we learned that it is very expensive and sometimes impossible to get certain items shipped to the West Indies. Because of this separation, Nevis' dining industry suffers a little by not being up with the times. This is still a small and developing island, so don't expect their restaurants to top ones you've dined at in other more Metropolitan areas. I learned this after I got there.

One example that underlines my point is the lack of quality wines at almost every restaurant on the island. With exceptions being the Four Seasons and Coconut Grove (they have their own well-stocked French wine cellar), the best you're going to find on any wine list may be a few Australian reds and an Italian white. Again, nothing fancy, but in most cases satisfactory. I asked the head chef at one establishment why this was, and he stated that most places lack the knowledge to stock a quality cellar, and of course reiterated the part about shipping from overseas being very difficult. To further make my point, when we asked our waiters/waitresses for a Cabernet Sauvignon, they would bring back a Sauvignon Blanc. When we asked for a Chardonnay, we would sometimes get a Cabernet. This was fairly constant in almost all places we dined. The industry obviously has a little ways to go before they are comfortable with fine dining culture.

But for some reason, every article we read about Nevis always touts the dining culture as being outstanding. My wife and I are well-versed diners from the States, and have eaten almost every level of cooking from chain restaurant to five-star affair. We also travel abroad in Europe and have dined extensively there. So far, France still tops the charts as far as food is concerned...but it's unfair to compare the two places.

Taking Nevis for what it is, expect good food, with an occasional moment of brilliance - and chefs that try hard with what they've got. You won't see anything too exotic on Nevis, but some places obviously have more to offer than others. In my monest opinion, I think the dining is still up and coming, and maybe in a few more years may qualify as great. But the tourism industry, the chefs, and the culture in general are just too young to be great yet.

If you go to Nevis, go for the island experience as a whole - there's a lot to see and do, and it is indeed a beautiful little private paradise. But don't predicate your whole vacation based on just the food. That kind of quality only comes with time: And unfortunately, when Nevis reaches its commercial peak, that will also mean that it is no longer the quiet paradise that attracted us in the first place.

4 Thank Msupsic
Wilmington, NC
1 helpful vote
“Loved Nevis”
Reviewed May 4, 2006

I loved Nevis - except my accommodations at HCB. Nevis is definitely the place to relax, sip a rum punch under the palm trees, and watch the Caribbean sunset. There is as much or as little as you would like to do. I was thrilled with the snorkeling!!! Just make sure that your place of stay offers the amenities that you want. The infrastructure is in the development stage, but many places have modern conveniences. The locals are very friendly and the US dollar is preferred. If you are looking at place to go to totally relax - it is Nevis without a doubt.

1 Thank Caribme

Been to Nevis? Share your experiences!