All reviewslobster sandwichsugar millspring fed poolflora and faunalush gardensexcellent lunchbeautiful gazeboserved by friendly staffjungle feelindoor seatingvisiting nevisworth the triprum punchabsolutely breath takingplantation ruinsvery special placefour seasons
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Golden Rock is set in a mountain paradise with grounds that put the botanical
gardens to shame. Pam is without a doubt the most charming hostess I have met in
my many years of travel. We were on the meal plan and the food was superb. Delicious breakfasts out in the garden with colorful little birds anxious
to share your meal as were some friendly lizards. Dinners
were gourmet with the most
spectacular tasting soups. You
eat family style with Pam and
other friendly guests. I guarantee you will see many
monkeys on the property and
on the adjoining hikes. We
stayed in the Old Sugar Mill
which had some problems so I
would suggest staying in one
of the bungalows. You really
don't need a car because Pam
is Happy to drive you to their
beach club at Pinneys or into
town.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank ramblinman9
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My family and I stayed at Golden Rock in May and loved it. We rented the sugar mill as well as a cottage. The innkeeper was wonderful, knowledgable, and hospitable, but some of the waitstaff was often short or apathetic. Our rooms were very clean and tidy and the sugar mill is precious. We spent most of our three days on the property because its not that easy to get around the island or to the beach without a car, but it's easy to get a taxi. The food at the hotel was
tasty and well-presented. The monkeys around the inn were adorable. Would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank lesrion99
Reviewed January 23, 2007

As a 44 year old unmarried female, in August 2005, I was looking for somewhere safe, quiet, and beautiful to spend a week alone. I wasn't looking for dates or entanglements-- just a beautiful setting, some unique experiences, and some peace and quiet.

Golden Rock Plantation in Nevis turned out to be a wonderful answer to my needs. I read in the reviews things that let me know that Nevis was not, in general, a partyer's/gambler's island, so I went there with a comfortable level of confidence that it would grant me the level of quiet and unintrusiveness that I needed. At Golden Rock, there was a wonderful balance of solitude and good company.

The only other multi-day guests during my stay (relatively off-season, in August) was a newlywed couple. Toby and her new husband, with their warmth and friendliness, kept me from feeling isolated. We spent a day at the beach together, and also an evening at a wonderful restaurant recommended by Pam, and also an evening or two over dinner and drinks. But when I chose to be alone, or they wanted to spend time as a couple alone, that worked out too-- we were all happy! I found out toward the end of our stay that they had actually served as "body guards" for me-- some guys at the beach (and one of the Golden Rock staff) had actually inquired about my availability, and my new friends had signaled that I was to be left alone!! Toby and her husband didn't let on to me until later that there was "interest" afoot, allowing me to lounge at the beach and at the plantation without feeling defensive!

The plantation grounds are absolutely LOVELY, with lush gardens, hummingbirds, monkeys, distinctive goats & sheep, incredible flowers, astonishing ocean and mountain views, clean rooms, and a quiet atmosphere. I was a bit perturbed when, as a paying multi-day guest, I was asked to leave the gorgeous outdoor chair-and-table area so that day-trippers could be seated for lunch-- but the deck of my little "house", with its incredible view of St. Kitts in the distance, was an acceptable second choice of location for my reading that afternoon.

Pam will, in fact, see to it that you have a ride into town or to the beach if you need one (OH!! the seafood sandwiches at the beach!!!), and will recommend other day or evening activities to suit your tastes.

Dinners were absolutely sublime-- different every evening, depending on what was available FRESH at the market, and scrumptiously prepared by what ought to be considered a gourmet chef!! So tasty and succulent! The companionship around the table, ably facilitated by Pam, was wonderful, as we got to chat with whomever was staying at the plantation for that particular evening.

Every day my room was thoroughly cleaned, and everyone around the plantation had a helpful spirit about them. Drinks were available on an "honor system" basis throughout the day. I much prefer the ocean to a swimming pool, so being able to be in chlorine wasn't a thrill for me-- one of the few ways Golden Rock could be improved would be for it to be a beachfront property! But I did meet a really nice family of day-trippers (from my current home town!) in the pool. And Golden Rock's lack of beach can be thought of as compensated for by its breezy mountain coolness (I thought I'd die from the August heat the day I went down the mountain into town!)

Overall, a wonderful place for a couple, a family, or a single person to get away. After having visited as a single in summer 2005, now that I am married in 2007, at some point I will gladly take my new husband there to enjoy with me what I experienced alone!

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled solo
7  Thank 3Butterfly
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Despite having stayed at other hotels on Nevis, we keep coming back to this beautiful old Plantation Inn each year, so for us, this was a return visit to Golden Rock. Actually this hotel has a unusually large proportion of return visitors, because people fall in love with the place.

It's listed here on TripAdisor as a B&B, but this is an error: Golden Rock is a real hotel in every way.

All day it's lovely and breezy up at Golden Rock. It's never unpleasantly hot there because it is 1,000 feet up on the side of the mountain. And the views are really spectacular for the same reason: you look out over the southeastern one third of the island of Nevis, and you see way out over the ocean. In the distance you can see Montserrat and Redonda, often Antigua, and on an exceptionally clear day you can glimpse Guadeloupe.

Golden Rock has very big grounds, and a lush flower garden envelops the courtyard where you eat breakfast and lunch. In fact Golden Rock is completely surrounded by nature, as it is nestled up close to the forest. There are beautiful birds and butterflies all around you, and in the mornings and afternoons you probably will see some of the vervet monkeys that like to come down through the area to eat the green mangoes and the seeds of wild flowers.

Golden Rock is very quiet. You are far enough away from the road that you don't hear any road sounds at all, just birds singing, the sound of the wind, and at night the sounds of the crickets and tree frogs.

I love the spring-fed pool and the lovely old square stone building which is now the office. The main building is barrel-vaulted and when you enter it, it feels like a time machine; this is really the best of the old traditional Caribbean, with its West Indian flavors of hospitality.

Pam, your host, is a direct decendant of the original family which owned he plantation. She is a wonderful person who loves the island and who always very helpful and kind.

Golden Rock has beachfront on Pinneys Beach, where they have a nice bar-restaurant (their van will run you down every morning and drive you back up every afternoon if you wish). Golden Rock also owns land on the beach at White Bay near Red Cliff, aka Windward Beach, directly south from the hotel, near the racetrack; Windward Beach is undeveloped so it has no facilities, but it is really a beautiful wild place and it is easy to get to from the hotel.

The staff are very nice, and the kitchen will make you a pleasant picnic lunch to take with you if you want to go out somewhere where you can't buy food.

If you like peace and quiet, if you love nature, if you are not in a rush and like to be laid back, then I think you might enjoy Golden Rock as much as we do.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank invertpaleo
Reviewed July 23, 2006

It's over a year since we stayed with Pam at the Golden Rock and we are still missing her and her beautiful home. Breakfast on the terrace is wonderful and the pool and gardens are fantastic. We really looked forward to dinner every night. We still think about the lip-smackingly good freshly-caught lobster. But perhaps the most important thing about Golden Rock is the people. Everyone who works there is extraordinarily helpful and genuinely makes your day so much better every time you chat with them. I have to say we felt really privileged to be there. As for Nevis... it is simply wonderful. It really is our very favourite place for a relaxing holiday. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled as a couple