“Didn't realise how relaxing the stay was until we left!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montpelier Plantation & Beach

Montpelier Plantation & Beach
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Herts
“Didn't realise how relaxing the stay was until we left!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Pity about the braying upper class Brits, but lovely atmosphere, delightful setting and attentive staff. Watch out for your bill, there were several errors on ours

• Stayed November 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Just a delightful place to stay and unwind, from arrival through departure, with everything handled warmy and professionally. The food is outstanding, the service top notch, and the resort itself is peaceful and beautiful. While the resort is not on the beach, the daily shuttle makes the private and well-equipped (bar, showers, etc.) easy to use--plus it gives you a chance to see the lovely island of Nevis.

Many of the people we met are repeat guests, some for many years. And it is no wonder why--our stay makes us want to be repeat visitors as well!

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank runhack
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

A mark of 5/5 does not do the Montpelier justice! I am judging Montpelier on the experience of having been treated as a favoured "house guest". Nothing was too much trouble. What impressed me was that the service was not offered as "good service", but what I would term genuine warmth and hospitality. This came not only from all the staff but from the owners themselves who were constantly present and engaging with their guests. From the moment you arrive and Jackie (from Leeds - we forgive you Jackie!) and one of the owners greets you and escorts you to your room you feel so comfortable and at home.

There are hotels with fancier rooms admittedly, though the standard rooms are very nice indeed all with great views - but I would not trade off minor additions offered by chain 5 stars for what the Montpelier staff offered us. It was way beyond any expectation of a hotel. I can only rank the welcome, service and ambience alongside one other hotel I have reviewed and that was the world number one, The Rambagh Palace in Jaipur.

If you are able to stretch your budget then I would say book the garden suite, it was absolutely beautiful with a bathroom which felt larger than my house!! Additionally the "little house" annexe would make for a marvellous small group or family stay.

The hotel is situated on high a 15 minute downhill (free) shuttle ride from the private beach, the elevation makes for a cooling breeze throughout the plantation. Once on the quiet private beach there are wooden "cabanas" offering shade as well as a nicely appointed rustic beach bar. If you are not fond of sand, no matter, as there is a lovely garden with grass. Once a week there is a bbq lunch which I can truly recommend. Not like any bbq we have in our house!

The dining in house can be classed as fine dining - though suitably informal so that you still feel relaxed. Preceded by cocktails and hors d'ouevres in the great room whilst awaiting the call into dinner. If you have a special occasion then this is the place to be. I am truly grateful for the very special treatment my daughter received on her birthday including a rather wonderful chocolate birthday cake baked in the kitchens.

Would I recommend this hotel? Unreservedly!! Am saving to go back as I write!

Room Tip: The garden suite, villa suite and Little House come with additional charge but well worth considerin...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dmhLondon
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 7 days. The grounds were beautiful and the staff are very nice. The rooms are clean and very basic. I was hoping it would be more "up to date" but it was ok nevertheless. We became friends with some of the guests that were staying there and we noticed that the lady who owns the place - she's older with glasses, every morning during breakfast she would go from table to table to greet everyone and introduce her self. We noticed that not even once did she bother to say hello to us - and mind you we were there for 7 days! When we asked the other guests where they found the place, everyone seemed to spend more than us - we found this place thru Jetsetter.com and got a really awesome deal. It felt to me that she was only treating some of her guests special because of how much they had spent on this property! It really left a bad feeling on our part and friends have asked me about this place and I really have to be honest. They should treat everyone with great customer service. Period. Will I go back? No. There are other places in the world that would appreciate my business and will treat us nicely.

• Stayed November 2010
8 Thank Fashion_Jetsetter
Trussville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Our 30th wedding anniversary trip was such a treat at Montpelier. Our first introduction to the friendly people of Nevis came on our transfer flight from St. Maarten. A local resident gave us some helpful hints on what to see and do. She was spot on. Once at the plantation, it could not have been lovelier. Our daily pool visits with Caddy, were filled with interesting conversations and laughter, and afternoon tea was one of the highlights of our day! All the meals were delicious and the Chef's were so gracious about substitutions due to allergies. Montpelier Plantation has historical charm and modern amenities. Having Ziggy, (yellow lab) to play toss with, was an added bonus. An island tour is a must do. Every islander asked, "Is this your first visit to Nevis?" Then, "Welcome, enjoy your stay!" We hope to return to Montpelier Plantation. It was wonderful!

Room Tip: Our bungalow was and end unit and had a beautiful view to the sea!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy W
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We arrived to Montpelier on a rainy day and we knew right away we were going to love it. It was beautiful even in the rain. The rest of the week was wonderful weather and the Plantation even more beautiful. The property is kept beautiful with plenty of open space to wander around. The paths outside of the Inn are wonderful for taking a early morning or early evening stroll. Mango trees everywhere. The staff and owners of the Inn were first rate. They made you feel at home all the time. Always accommodating. The property itself is charming. A real flavor of a country Inn. Breakfasts were just great, all you wanted of anything on the menu. My wife loves mangoes and they would always have them waiting for her when she arrived at breakfast. Breads and Muffins outstanding. If i woke up early and wanted coffee before breakfast service, they would stop what they were doing and get me a fresh pot of coffee. Dinner service is a real treat. They had a tasting menu that served 5 courses, beautifully presented and delicious. We didnt get the meal plan but loved the dinners so much we dined 4 of the 7 days at the Inn. The 3 other days we ventured out and indeed had great meals as well. I am a beach person and usually spend most of my time in the ocean. I must say i had a hard time wanting to leave the pool at the Inn. It was just so relaxing with the pool bar, afternoon tea and lunch if you wanted it poolside.Yes we did venture to the beach i think twice but always wanted to get back to the Inn's pool mid afternoon. The rooms are spread out in 9 cottages with 2 rooms per cottage although you always felt you had the cottage to yourself. As advertised our patio had a great view of the Caribbean sea. The rooms were spacious and kept very clean, nicely appointed. What was so amazing was there were no bugs unlike what i remember in the Caribbean . I didnt once spray myself and mosquitoes usually love me. They way dinner service was presented was like going to your friends for dinner. We would congregate in the wonderful living room where we would have cocktails and appetizers talking to staff, other guests and the Inn owners. We would be seated when we wanted and the table was ours for the evening. No way i could single out any one of the staff as outstanding, they all were. I can go on and on . My wife was already planning our 40th wedding anniversary return visit the day we were leaving. By the way allow the inn to arrange taxi and boat service from St Kitts Airport. It went seamless with the added attraction of the taxi drivers being tour guides as we rode to the private water taxi. Oh by the way my wife did use the spa services and had a great massage.

Room Tip: Most rooms were situated with great views. I would upgrade to the plantation room,
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Markblume
Poole, Dorset, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Just returned from a brief 4 night stay. Really loved this hotel and could easily see why most guests were staying for more than a week and were repeat guests too. I ate the best gourmet cuisine there, the food is truly exceptional and the staff really friendly and helpful. Favorite members of staff were jackie the manager and kaddy the amazing pool bar attendant! We cant wait to return. Only criticism was i felt the plantation rooms and bathrooms could do with a bit of a refurb.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Worldlytraveller2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
7.4 km away
7.5 km away
Oualie Beach Resort
Oualie Beach Resort
#2 of 3 in New Castle

Been to Montpelier Plantation & Beach? Share your experiences!