“Fantastic property and staff”

Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Pleasant Grove, Utah
“Fantastic property and staff”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location and staff. We had a wonderful time. Snorkeling at he rocks was excellent. We viewed sea turtles, a sting ray, squid, lobster and many beautiful fish. I would recommend this property to anyone looking to relax and be pampered.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank gdewolf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Overall this resort was a wonderful relaxing place to stay. The FS has it's own boats and dock. One boat is smaller and faster but not airconditioned inside (about a 45 min ride). The other is slower, but is nicer and air conditioned inside (about 1hr +). They make the St.Kitts airport, transfer to the boat and check in at the hotel truly stress free and seamless. Once you give them your luggage at the airport, you don't have to touch it again until it reaches your room. I think it was $65 charge for the transportation.

On arrival we were greeted and taken to our room. As we were escorted to our room, It seemed like quite a walk. The women showing us to our room kept saying, " it's just a bit farther". We were in cottage #10, Saddle Hill. The farthest you could be and be on FS property. The 2 story cottages are numbered #1 - 10, all ocean front. # 11&12 are mountain/golf view. While the quiet and seclusion are nice, the constant walking to and from everything got bothersome quickly. If you go to the Great House it's 1/2 way across the resort Located betweenCottages # 5 & 6. The spa,tennis,sports center are on the complete opposite end of the property. All water sports activities are also on the other side of the Great House. I would guess at least a 1/2 mile walk. Doing this multiple times a day became a chore. Highly recommend a cottage in the more central part - 4,5 or 6,7.

You can request a golf cart pick you up and bring you anywhere on the property. We did this once. After waiting 5 minutes past our requested pickup time, we started walking (me, in high heels). The cart met us as we walked. We got in and were driven, rather fast, backwards (wind blowing hair every which way) until he backed up to the next building over and turned around.

The breakfast at Neve is fabulous. The breakfast buffet ($39) has everything you can imagine. Including a fresh fruit and vegetable blender bar,the usual omelet station,bacon,sausage,potatoes, pancake station (don't miss the hot apple fritters), pastry and breads Yogurts, granolas,nuts,fruits. There is also a section of European breakfast items. Small sandwiches, meats, cheeses...

All meals have a 15% gratuity added as well as a 12% tax. Meals delivered to your room, pool or beach side also have an additional $5.00 delivery fee. Sure adds a lot to the already expensive food prices.

The room was nice and the bathroom large. The two sinks are great. It also has a lighted makeup mirror. Always appreciated. Our view, while second floor, we were unable to see the ocean because of trees blocking our view. Not a great view.

Great in room coffee maker. Surprising to say, they did not have any complementary tea service in the room. Only coffee was provided. I found it very odd for a FS resort. Even much lower quality hotels provide tea. Which I drink in the morning.
You will also not find the usual, chocolate during turndown service. Just the little touches make a statement. For a FS resort I found the extra's missing. As an example, in the Great House, there is a table with 3 large containers with water. Cups,tops and straws. Most occasions passing through or waiting for a taxi, I would stop in for a water. At least 75% of the time either there was no water, no cups or no straws. Even though there were many workers milling about, no one seemed to notice. The staff while (mostly) friendly were not overly helpful. Each day I headed to the beach, only to find no chairs set up. One day I walked over to 3 staffers chatting, asking if I could get help putting up the umbrella and getting a towel. Not first class service by any means. I have been to many resorts that either have the towels and umbrella set up in the morning, or when they see you walk onto the beach, THEY seek you out with a towel set up. Not here. Each time I went to the beach I had to walk and find someone to set up the chair and towel. Again, it's the small things. They were helpful in bringing cold water pitchers or small sample sorbet, really appreciated. But even this was spotty. Somedays you would see someone, other day's not. One day room was made up but no towels were replaced. Had to call before showering for the evening.

A big plus that I did not see mentioned on the FS site. Each cottage has a complimentary washer and dryer. It's located next to the ice machine. They have detergent there for you to use. No charge. For active people, this was great to be able to wash workout wear. Wish I had known before going. We would have packed less clothing.

The walking/fitness trails are great. You will see many monkeys on the red course. It's a scenic great way to get some exercise. The gym is above average. Lots of equipment and space. Treadmills and ellipticals with tv's. They have towels,water,and headphones to use. The refrigerator with cold minted face towels were a really nice thing to look forward to. Unfortunately, again they were not there on a number of days.

The water sports have plenty of equipment. You can use anything without a motor for free anytime. They have SUP, kayaks, small sunfish, big wheels. You can rent ski doo's or they will pull you on a tube, banana ect.. Good equipment selection and helpful people. If you don't know how to use something, they will give a lesson.

We watched World Cup from the beach bar at Cabana a number of days, Michael, the bartender was great. The lunch was very good. Loved the black bean burger.

Don't miss dinner at Mango's. It's a beautiful spot to have dinner on the water and the food was fabulous. It was my favorite dinner on Nevis. We also had very good dinners at Banana's and Coconuts. For a very casual dinner, Sunshine's was good. Yes, the Killer Bee's were great. My husband said his fish there was the best. The sunset and view from Bananas rooftop bar was great.

We did a mountain hike with Reggie, scheduled through the FS. It was a fun hike. Reggie was very knowledgeable about the mountain. Not too strenuous, but there were some spots you needed ropes to climb up.

The FS is very good at maintaining the grounds. Countless people are employed every day tending the grounds and they are kept spotless and beautiful.

All in all, we loved that Nevis is an unspoiled island and the FS such a beautiful resort.

Room Tip: Cottages closest to Great House(4,5,6,7), if you don't want to walk far to everything. Second fl...
5 Thank GAAtltravel
Toronto
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Overall Impression: Gorgeous luxurious resort. My wife and I spend 8 days here and fell in love with the island of Nevis. We have stayed at a few Four Seasons Resorts around the world and this hotel offers a comparable high quality vacation experience. The Food is terrific, the spa is delightful, the location and beach lovely, and the staff aim to please. All in all, a very good vacation option for those inclined to indulge. The only possible caveat is cost. This is not a cheap vacation.

Rooms: Very clean, well air-conditioned, well appointed, roomy decent amenities (separate tub, separate shower, separate lavatory, double sink). We stayed in a suite but the deluxe rooms offer no less amenity. I recommend the deluxe room. Save the extra $ for spa or dinner.

Service: Generally terrific. The resort is amply staffed. All are extremely pleasant and eager to please. Only on one occasion did we find the staff to be a bit slow (we were made to wait a bit to upgrade our room after a very long travel day) but other than that, all experiences were nothing short of accommodating.

Check in: Seamless. You get boated in to the private FS dock where you are greeted by a dedicated staff member who walks you directly to your room. No waiting, no fuss. You arrive and go straight to your room. I loved that. Had we not wasted our time upgrading our room, it would have been perfect.

Spa: I'm not really a spa guy but I did have a massage and attended the spa with my wife. She loved it and my massage was good. Facilities were clean and relaxing. I think most would be very pleased with the spa.

Golf: I didn't golf because it was unbearably hot. The course looked nice but I heard the grounds were not that well maintained and I heard that staff drove, or tolerated, carts on the green. The 18th hole is apparently spectacular. My impression is golf is not necessarily the big draw for this resort. Costs $190 pp and does not include cart. For the $ we decided to take a tour of the island instead (Funky Monkey!!)

Food: Good to Very good. We love food and were not disappointed. The main restaurant is the Coral Grill. It is elegant and offers typical upscale fare. There is also a pool/patio bar which offers a more casual experience for slightly less $. The best restaurant is Mango. Definitely a highlight. Great Seafood and the restaurant sits right up on the beach. From a far we thought the restaurant was average so we never made a reservation until the last night. We were sorry we took so long to visit. It is truly magical. The surf, the sunset, the beautiful Caribbean decor all work together to offer a tropical culinary retreat. I wish we could have dined here one more time. They offer a whole snapper. If you go, get this. The presentation is remarkable. Everyone marveled as waitresses served up these enormous, deep-fried delicacies about the restaurant. Delicious too. My wife got one. I chose surf and turf. Was also wonderful. My only complaint was the wine. Generally the climate is not hospitable for wine storage. I found most wine tart (sour) from oxidizing. Frankly the cheaper screw top bottles tasted better as they do not breath like corks permit. In this case cheaper was better! Mango also offer 100 different kinds of rum, and rum tastings. Pretty cool.

Pools: There are 3 pools, one of which was an adult pool. It was quiet and we were able to relax with no annoying guests conducting business from their cell phone. One day we spent at the regular pool. Although there were children, we were not disturbed.

Guests: The resort was only half full and all guests seemed to share a peaceful non-intrusive enjoyment of the facilities. No loud drunk guests at adjacent dinner tables, no screaming children at the pool, no obnoxious cell-phone abusers, or loud talkers. There were singles, couples, families, and everyone seemed conscientious and respectful of the other guests. The resort is huge so it is easy to find peace, relaxation and solitude. Keep in mind, we visited in low season.

MUST SEE:
'Bananas' for dinner. It is a rural Nevis restaurant half way up the mountain, built in an old wooden home, 5 minutes from FS. Food is top notch but no cheaper than FS. We went twice we loved it so much. They also have a patio on the roof with a BREATHTAKING view down to the ocean.

Golden Rock Plantation. It has been restored and is now a boutique hotel and restaurant. It must have been built by some 18th century billionaire it is so extravagent. Go for lunch or at least visit. it's open to the public.

Last but not least, there is another sugar plantation called Hermitage. They offer a pig roast on Wednesdays. We went and loved it. I was expecting some low-end beach feast. I was wrong. I was delighted with authentic cuisine, and it was magical to dine in a 400 year old English home. Authentic and romantic. Do not miss this.

Honorable Mention
We enjoyed The Yachsman restaurant in Hamilton Beach (5 min from FS). Its kind of like English pub meets the Caribbean. quaint, on the beach, good food. Reasonable too.

Next door to the Yachtsman is Coconut Grove Restaurant. very good food and a gorgeous setting on the beach. They also have a refrigerated wine cellar so you can get a decent bottle that hasn't been spoiled by the hot climate.

TIPS
We took a tour of the island with Funky Monkey Tours (operated by Greg the same guy that owns the Yachtsman). I recommend taking the tour. You really get a great overview of the island. "Neil" took us for the day. Wonderful guy and he did a great job. I suggest doing this early in your vacation so you can see the sites and decide where you wish to spend more time during your vacation.

Next to the FS resort are three little venues: Lime, Sunshines, and Double Deuce. Lime is a bar and has great live music on Fridays. We visited and enjoyed it. Sunshines has good cheap food but the real draw here is their "Killer Bees". Most good restaurants/bars offer a rum punch. This one is supposed to be the best. I tried it and agree. PLEASE NOTE they are HIGHLY alcoholic. I had three and was under the table. Im a big guy. dont have more than 2. They are wonderful though. Double Deuce apparently has the best burgers. I never tried it but more than a few Nevis regulars recommended DD so I pass this info along.

You can walk into Charlestown from the FS. Takes only 15 minutes and is worth a quick visit. Not much to see in town but it's interesting enough. There is a very old cemetery there worth visiting.

Hot Springs: The hot springs are not a spa. it is open to the general public and is a historical site. we didnt go because it is already so hot there. If they had a cold springs, we would have gone for sure.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the Big House. We stayed in a suite but saw the regular rooms. The regular rooms...
10 Thank bnb-toronto
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Four Seasons Resort is a 5 Star experience on the tropical island of Nevis. Amazing staff and accommodations! Food is amazing and the beach and pool are relaxing and inviting. The Spa is a definite must for relaxing. There was not a part of our trip we did not love!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 948KLH
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 July 2014

What a title right? We stayed at the Four Season in late June 2014 for our Honeymoon and it was truly wonderfully expensive. The rooms were a steal. Because its not peak season there wasn't a lot of people and we wanted to save money we requested a mountain view room (the cheapest) but was upgraded to a DELUXE beach view room (far from cheapest)!

So what's expensive? The food, but MAN was it good! If you're there to relax and eat and drink like we were, you'll seldom have a meal cheaper than $120 US. Drinks were $12 US each but you HAVE to try the banana daiquiris! This isn't so much a remark towards the Four Seasons but towards Nevis itself. Mango is an amazing restaurant with the perfect view.

Four Seasons offered a lot of great excursions that we did like hiking, horseback riding, jet-skiing and windsurfing lessons. All of these were terrific.

The staff is very friendly and willing to help, the pool staff can be a bit slow to check on you for more drink orders but never mind to get you something should you ask. If I ever went to Nevis again, I'd stay here again. Will update with pics!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are normally quieter because the reflection pool in front of it requires you...
Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brandon G
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have had the privilege to travel a lot throughout my life , when it came to my honeymoon, I wanted a destination like none other that I have ever experienced. This resort lived up to all of our expectations.
When we arrived to the island we found out that it was full of history (even Columbus fell in love with it)! The people on the island truly make the experience. They are genuinely kind and make sure that your experience is fabulous.
At the Four Seasons, take the time to rent a cabana, they are gorgeous and do not disappoint, ask for Marvae while you are at the cabanas! You should also visit the spa. The view itself from the exclusive spa pools will take your breath away. When coupled with the spa services, you will never want to leave. In addition, make a point to make a reservation at Mangos restaurant on the end of the campus one night at sunset (the concierge will let you know when), you will have the best view of the sunset on the island that night.
The hotel will also arrange for you to go off the property for activities. You should do this and embrace the small island. Banana's was the best restaurant that we went to. Overall, we had a ballast and the resort was clean, the staff super friendly, and the views were breathtaking. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms were amazing!
NJ
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Though we were not guests at the Four Seasons in Nevis, we stopped by for a drink and a snack at their beautiful beachfront restaurant/bar to watch the US play soccer in the World Cup. While there my daughter (20) had a fainting episode. The staff at the Four Seasons was amazing! From the bartender who quickly got her drinks and cool cloths, to the security staff who rushed to her side to help get her to a cool area, to the nurse who checked her out to the resort manager who came by to see what could be done, everyone was concerned and kind and so very helpful.
The resort is absolutely beautiful, a stunning property and I'm sure the accommodations are fabulous too. But from experience, rest assured, the staff is second to none! (and I am very grateful!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lauraelenanj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
5.7 km away
0.0 km away
Paradise Beach Nevis
Paradise Beach Nevis
#4 of 7 in Nevis

Been to Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies? Share your experiences!