“‘Ultimate Luxury!’”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in St. Vincent
Watford, United Kingdom
“‘Ultimate Luxury!’”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Arrived at the resort warmly greeted by Francesca offering a delicious fruit rum cocktail against a backdrop of sand and the sea was lit up by an open fire on the beach. She swiftly escorted us to a wonderful villa with its own plunge pool and deck overlooking water and tropical plants, with plasma screens in both the lounge and bedroom and the most comfy beds decorated with animal towel designs.
Days were spent on cushioned loungers by the pool overlooking white sand and sea sipping cocktails. Smoothies and ice creams from the pool and beach restaurants were interrupted by energetic bursts of kayaking, snorkelling and beach volleyball. The Staff were attentive, responding quickly to guest’s demands and more importantly remembered your name! They were always willing to go the extra mile, we celebrated a birthday during our stay and we were presented with a birthday cake and when we returned to our room we were greeted by a ‘Happy Birthday’ message using flower petals from the gardens.
We dipped into activities on offer at the sports facilities where we shared a spin class with West End Musical stars Kate Gillespie and Thomas De Keyser( who we later watched at their show at Beach Bay Club), played tennis with tennis pro James at the Pat Cash Academy and played basketball with some of the staff and guests. Sadly we just missed the Australian and West Indian Cricket teams who stayed at the hotel to prepare for their 3 x1 day cricket series.
I highly recommend The Sunset cruise where we were served with more rum punches, beers and nibbles though disappointingly the dolphins were nowhere to be seen. With only a week at the resort we chose not to sample other Island cruises and various excursions on offer, but, this we will save for our next trip later in the year. However, some friends of ours visited Trinidad and the Cays , unfortunately the external boat cruise broke down 50 miles out only to be flown back to Buccament Bay in a plane chartered by Harlequin!!
We were not looking forward to the length of the return journey home, 2 flights and a 5 hour wait at Barbados airport! However, It was made more bearable as Harlequin arranged access to the Executive lounge and confirmed that, for our next trip, their own planes would be in service which will reduce the time between the two flights.

Room Tip: Cabanas on the beach are highly recommended
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kim l
Kevin S, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your great comments about the resort and its team. I will ensure your kind words are shared with the relevant people.

Kevin Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We visited this wonderful resort in February for the Children's half term. I was exhausted and I needed a place to rest while the children were taken care of. Buccament Bay Resort managed to take care of all of us superbly.

My children thought it was fantastic and can not wait to return. They loved swimming in the pool, going kayaking, cruisinig with the dolphins ( we saw hundreds of them) dropping into the Harlequin Club which is open all day and performing at the Harlequin Art Academy. Kate and Tom were fabulous, sending us home with wonderful CD's of all the children singing and performing.

The villas were super, even though they are still going through quite a lot of teething problems. However, as soon as something was reported it was rectified immediately. The villas were very luxurious and comfortable but the views from them do have a lot to be desired.

There are endless activities to do if you are sporty. I just wanted to relax on the beach and read my books. The restaurants served good food and I honestly beleive that this resort will grow from strength to strength.

The staff were lovely. Especially in the Harlequin Club and in HQ.This is like a coffee bar where the children love to go because they serve delicious ice cream all day.....death for the hips girls..... and crepes and pancakes. They will even bring your lunch to you on the beach. Levi was great at organising that.

I agree with some of the comments that more staff training is needed but I do believe that this is all well under way and everybody knew our names by the 8th or 9th day. One evening, the restaurant even phoned our room to find out what Pizza we wanted for the children before we arrived at the restaurant in order not to cause too many delays. I was very impressed with that.

I would definately return to this resort again. We all loved it. The entire resort felt more like a village and the most important thing for me was that I felt that my children were in a very safe environment which enabled me to relax. I so miss those wonderful sunsets!!!

Room Tip: I would prefer to have a villa on the beach
3 Thank S F
Kevin S, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments, they kind, helpful, and very much appreciated.

We are delighted that your family enjoyed their time with us and look forward to seeing you all again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The villa style rooms at this resort are amazing.
There is a lounge area with a large dining table and small "kitchenette" containing a fridge and coffee maker. Bedroom had a walk-in closet with plenty of storage space for clothes and luggage. The bathroom had a huge walk-in shower and also a separate bath. The hot water was endless and the toiletries were high quality. There was also a private plunge pool outside on our own veranda. Lovely!
HINT! The bedroom door has a separate lock to the main villa doors. Housekeeping staff only have a key to the villa, not the bedroom. If you leave your bedroom door locked and take the key with you staff will be unable to accress the bedroom or bathroom, so your bed will not be made and your bathroom will not be cleaned. If you want the villa fully cleaned, just lock the main external doors not the bedroom.
The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and seemed extremely helpful. However we did find them a bit unreliable. On several occasions staff gave us incorrect information or forgot to do something they had said they would do. As they were so smiley and pleasant it was hard to get annoyed by this, but really things like this should not happen in such a high quality resort. The staff need a little more training to make sure they are all familiar with the resort and to make sure anything promised to guests is actually correct.
The lobster BBQ buffet on Sunday night was fantastic, but the queues were horrendously long. Eat early to avoid these queues!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank flibbit
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your compliments and constructive comments.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will digest and react to the issues appropriately.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We went to Buccament Bay for 10 days in February. This was our first trip to the Caribbean and the resort was booked after much deliberation and help from an excellent travel agent. The reason for the deliberation was the controversial comments on the tripadvisor forum re Harlequin Travel, who I understand own the hotel, however, I would urge people to ignore most of this.

As I understand it, the purpose of TA is to rate an experience, whatever that may be, so this will focus on our thoughts of the hotel. I can promise you we are not investors - it wouldn't suit my risk profile!

So to the holiday....Getting there was a bit of a nightmare - flying to Barbados is simple but any LIAT delays can make the journey quite long. It is a full days travel. Coming back we broke up the journey by leaving Barbados airport and visiting a nearby resort for a lovely lunch. I would definitely recommend this if your layover is any longer than a few hours.

The resort was lovely - rooms are very new, and are what you would expect for this standard of resort. There is still a lot of building work going on - but this didn't detract from the views and peace and quiet.

Food and drink were good. It would be nice if the menu changed in the BBC, however if you speak to the chef they will happily cook anything you ask them too provided they have the ingerdients. We had a 6-course meal on the last night, designed by the chef based on our comments and for no additional cost. I didn't think much of Saffron, and the buffet/grill restauarant where breakfast and the theme evenings are was ok. The beach grill was great, as was HQ where they served coffees, smoothies, sandwiches etc.

The staff were nice, particularly front desk people, those serving behind the bars, and those that were on the trips. We had excellent service around the pool, and were continually asked if we needed any water or other drinks.

The gym was good, and we did quite a few spinning classes with Norman - these were needed to work off all the food and drink that was consumed.

The only real bad experience we had was the spa. The quality of the massage was terrible, yet the prices were very high. Unless things change, I wouldn't recommend this for "relaxation". More staff training would help, and we should say that the people who look after you are very nice indeed, they just need a bit of guidance.

Would I go back? There's no reason why I wouldn't....however there are so many other places that I want to go. It'll be interesting to see what the resort is like in a year or so when all the work is complete. I'm not sure how they could cope with it being busy there - the infrastructure would concern me, but perhaps this has already been planned for once occupation rates increase. Personally, I enjoyed it being quiet.

Overall, it was a fantastic holiday and I can't think of a reason for people not to go. This was the best "all-inclusive" holiday I have been on, and if you are looking for a relaxing time and are happy to be in one place, then I don't think you can go far wrong with Buccament Bay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SB1981_28
Kevin S, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you for all your kind comments about the resort and its staff. Also, thank you for the feedback regarding the Spa treatments. I have taken your comments onboard and arranged for ESPA to do some additional training with the team in April. We have checked our prices and treatments with other ESPA properties and independent spas in the Caribbean, and are very much in line with them, but we appreciate any feedback received.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We have just come back from the buccament bay resort in St Vincent after having the best holiday of our lives!
This really is a 5 star resort, rooms are amazing, food is excellent (and will only improve with more restaurants being built), the activities you can do are endless and all set in a picture perfect location.
All the staff say hello and want to chat at every opportunity, and that isn't put on they are genuinely friendly staff. Clifford (the tricky bar tender!) at the beach bar kept us entertained every evening. Levi at the pool bar couldn't do enough for you. But all the staff were great.
I will break the bank to return as it really is worth it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. doesn't matter where you get put!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ian K
Kevin S, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your compliments about the resort and its team. I will pass your kind comments to the staff named.

We look forward to having you both back again soon.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We have recently returned from this beautiful resort. I must say reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor before we left had me a little worried, but there was really no need. From the moment we arrived at Barbados Airport and met the rep, who guided us to a quiet air-conditioned area to check in for our onward flight, we cannot find speak highly enough of the service we received. On arrival you are met by the staff and management with a cocktail, taken to your room and shown where everything is, advised of where everything is and how to operate it etc, and told where you can eat (we arrived in the evening) and on returning to the villa your cases are there ready for you to unpack. The rooms were totally amazing and daily cleaning and turn down service truly wonderful, the ladies that carry out this service are brilliant and most evenings our daughter had a different towel creation and lovely message left for her. One evening our air conditioning in the lounge wasn't working properly, we reported it to reception and the next morning they were there to fix it.

All the staff at the resort are friendly and extremely helpful, there are far too many to mention but Henson and Levi in the BB club, China in HQ and Michelle from breakfast in the Bamboo were people who made our stay extremely pleasant.

The food at the BBC is excellent and having the chef coming to have a chat with you is brilliant as you can ask questions that make your decision of what to have next time invaluable (we were advised "the souffle is a must" and it did not disappoint). The Bamboo is also great with Murphy there to feed you and entertain!!

I cannot think of any negative comments to make about the service we received and think that some of the comments about the service from the bar around the pool area slightly odd, if occasionally you have to walk 50 yards or so to the bar to get yourself a drink is it really a problem?

The only thing that was a problem was the barking dogs. Our villa backed onto the river and on the other side I believe were houses. The dogs sometimes barked during the night at all different hours and although they disturbed my sleep (I'm a light sleeper) they did not go on for hours so was able to go back to sleep.

All in all we can honestly say it was a wonderful place to stay and would love to go back. It will be interesting to see what it is like when they finish the new eating places and the apartment blocks. The opening of the new airport will also make the travel time much better.

3 Thank Gary-and Tricia W
Kevin S, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Sir & Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful and very rewarding comments about the resort and its team.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We, as family have just returned from a fantastic holiday at Buccment Bay. Whoever says this resort is not 5* must be joking!! The villas are of high quality,the bed is enormous and heavenly
the shower is to die for and even our own plunge pool and beds. Housekeeping were in every day and made an excellent job. Even the sun beds by the pool were luxurious and so comfortable, the swimming pool was so clean and tempting.
The meals were varied, lots of meat and fish, local cuisine if you wanted and lots of lovely salads, certainly plenty of it - nothing to complain about there. After the evening meal at the BBC the chefs would come out and chat to the guests, asking them if they had enjoyed the meal - where else in the Caribbean would you get that, certainly not anywhere we have been in the last eight years of visiting the Caribbean.
Certainly there are little niggles but nothing that cannot be sorted out and sorted out promptly.
The resort is obviously not finished yet, but when it is it will be magnificent. What people tend to forget is that the you now on Carribean time, whats the rush, you are on holiday.
Lastly, all the staff were polite and pleasant, some went the extra mile and a big thank you to them We used most of the amenities i.e.tennis, glass bottom boat, the wonderful sunset cruise
snorkelling,trip to Bequia, all were enjoyable.

Room Tip: The villas are excellent
3 Thank Peewee966
Kevin S, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your comments and compliments. The team strives to improve the resort all the time, so it is rewarding when the effect is being felt by guests.

We look forward to having you all back again soon.

Regards,

9.7 km away
Mariners Hotel
Mariners Hotel
#7 of 17 in St. Vincent

Been to Buccament Bay Resort? Share your experiences!