“Awesome location”

The Carlton Savannah
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Hotel was small/intimate but got the job done. Staff was extremely pleasant and location is great! The hotel has modernly decorated features but carpets can do with a quick clean. Overall had a great time with no problems whatsoever. We also got the room for $99/night which was a steal in my opinion!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Whenever I'm in Trinidad this hotel is one of the three I always stay at. The staff is very helpful, the decor of the hotel is very chic, clean and beautiful. Heated pool, ambiance, food, the rooms are beautifully appointed. I love the food! And I realize that many people will have different experiences, but all the times I have been at this hotel, I have never had a bad experience, and each experience out weighs the previous visit.

Well done!!

Room Tip: If you can get rooms on the top three floors you will be soooo happy!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I had a 3 night stay here while I was on business in Trinidad and upon reaching the hotel the environment was superleb and the host were super friendly. Despite the hotel only has wifi in the lobby it still features a Ethernet cable in every room built into the workspace area desk. Swimming pool is lovely and the resturant on the ground floor is fantastic!!! You need to try one of the burgers :). The rooms are nice and sparkling clean and the walk in closets are awsome with light switches at your bed head and flat screen tv..enjoyed watching a wide variety of movies at night :)

Room Tip: 4th - 8th level is perfect
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank blingdawg82
Reviewed 20 March 2012

For my fifth trip to Trinidad (3rd Carnival), I decided to do things a bit differently. I've previously stayed at the biggest competitor to this hotel (the Hyatt Regency) and wanted to try something new. During Carnival 2011, Bliss had their costume pickup at The Carlton Savannah. I recall being impressed with its beautiful colors and intimate location, so I decided to make this my destination for Carnival 2012.

I think The Carlton Savannah (TCS for short) may be the first (only?) boutique hotel on the entire island of Trinidad. I love boutique hotels. They tend to be funky and unique, having a lot more character than larger hotels. TCS was no different. The colors were bright, lively and energetic. The staff was attentive and - oh gosh! - de female staff SWEET!!! I know its probably not correct to say that, but there were many beautiful women on staff, and for a single guy, this is important to note. The pool was gorgeous. The view from the roof is awesome, especially at dusk AND the rooftop bartender knows how to make LLB! I've missed those since my first trip to Trinidad in 2006 so it was an especially welcome treat.

In my room, the toilet was the most interesting contraption I've encountered in any of my travels but once I figured it out (with some staff help), all was well. The room itself was very spacious. While I like the size of the rooms at the Hyatt, the room at TCS made my rooms at the Hyatt feel small. I was amazed at the spaciousness of the room.

The hotel's location is great for those who don't mind walking. I find PoS to be pretty walkable in general and not just because I've played mas in its streets. TCS is just north of the QPS, heading toward Cascade. On Carnival Monday and Tuesday, the walk to see the bands took about 20 minutes.

There were downsides. As one other commenter mentioned, some service was uneven. For example, when I first arrived, there were a few items missing that I was expecting to see - such as hand towels - and this continued throughout my stay. It became an interesting game to see which small item would make an appearance and which would disappear. However, nothing abhorrent or absurd was missing. When something was required, the staff provided in a timely fashion.

The menus were a bit limited for my tastes, but I get that. Unfortunately, hotels catering to
tourists tend to have menus that reflect the tastes of the guests a lot more strongly than they might otherwise. Again, I don't find this a problem generally but its worth noting.

The view from the roof was astounding, especially at night. I'd love to attend an event on the roof, maybe an intimate, private engagement, or to throw one myself.

All in all, I rate TCS a success! Deciding between TCS and the Hyatt - where I'm mere inches from platinum status - will be difficult. Getting into American Express' Fine Hotels & Resorts program would definitely seal the deal for me.

If you want to be close enough to d Savannah that you can still make it across d stage if you have a late night on Carnival Monday, with an overall great experience and staff, The Carlton Savannah is an obvious choice.

Room Tip: Request pool side for a better view. Being right up against the mountain meant one side was a lot mo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Claude J
Reviewed 17 March 2012

It was very thoughtful for my friend to take me to the Carlton Savannah for lunch one day. We were trying to avoid a mad protest in the capital city that day and thought that trying this place for the first time would be a good idea. We drove into the entrance and was meet by and attendant who was very helpful in giving us info on the restaurant and accommodation for parking for visitors. He was very willing to park the vehicle for us which was very helpful seeing that the car park was across the street from the Hotel. When we got to our seats the setting was some what of a very contemporary and modern look, which I loved. I did think the art on the wall should be a bit brighter in colors and griping. The menu was great with mostly local dishes and a local twist to the American dishes. The food was very tasty and worth the money. The prices was very affordable and catered to all pockets. The portions of food was very good and their deserts were the usual Cheese Cake and Ice Creams with few other options to choose from. Over all the service was great and we had no problem with the host and the waiters. I give this restaurant a thumbs up for their excellent service and great food.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank aniria
Reviewed 13 March 2012

a very well trained team members with a non stop smile at their faces, it was fully fun enjoying my "STAG" and "CARIB"at the bar with jokes of bar and restaurant staff,and a cooperative and professional management, kind of a feeling " you are home"...no room for smokers, the management solved it by giving me a chance to smoke at the pool side :) Thanks Karen, Sian and all team members of The Carlton Savannah for your great hospitality, Missing my home in Trinidad :))

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2012

the staff was wonderful they give you the 5 star treatment. The food was great just dont go late for your free breakfast ...the rooms were new but no balcony ...the pool area was nice but cold ..i really like this hotel good for the price as well...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple