“Modern, serene and well-located” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Carlton Savannah

The Carlton Savannah
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
barbados
“Modern, serene and well-located”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

The Carlton Savannah does not stun from the outside but once you enter it is a different matter entirely. The decor is soothing, the rooms spacious and the views from the fifth floor and up are uplifting. The staff is warm, helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front to have more of a panoramic view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank shanoa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I was extremely happy with my room and the customer service! Everyone who served me was extremely helpful, and friendly. The pool was gorgeous, and so was the room! The only complaint I had was that the wifi was awful. I found that the internet cord was a pain as well. Otherwise - a great hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank B H
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

My first stay at this hotel was very satisfying. Based on my criteria as a business traveler, the C. Savannah provided a clean, secure comfortable room, tasty meals, free Internet and courteous service. I found the exercise room sufficiently equipped, however all 3 treadmills were out of order. I was pleased they offer weights, stationary bikes, and universal exercise machines. If I had a single complaint, I would say there is little to do or see within walking of the hotel. Even though the hotel is not near the airport, this hotel will provide transport when arriving or leaving for a fee. Arrangements can be made by calling ahead.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank alguibert
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Hotel was small/intimate but got the job done. Staff was extremely pleasant and location is great! The hotel has modernly decorated features but carpets can do with a quick clean. Overall had a great time with no problems whatsoever. We also got the room for $99/night which was a steal in my opinion!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Whenever I'm in Trinidad this hotel is one of the three I always stay at. The staff is very helpful, the decor of the hotel is very chic, clean and beautiful. Heated pool, ambiance, food, the rooms are beautifully appointed. I love the food! And I realize that many people will have different experiences, but all the times I have been at this hotel, I have never had a bad experience, and each experience out weighs the previous visit.

Well done!!

Room Tip: If you can get rooms on the top three floors you will be soooo happy!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Barbados
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I had a 3 night stay here while I was on business in Trinidad and upon reaching the hotel the environment was superleb and the host were super friendly. Despite the hotel only has wifi in the lobby it still features a Ethernet cable in every room built into the workspace area desk. Swimming pool is lovely and the resturant on the ground floor is fantastic!!! You need to try one of the burgers :). The rooms are nice and sparkling clean and the walk in closets are awsome with light switches at your bed head and flat screen tv..enjoyed watching a wide variety of movies at night :)

Room Tip: 4th - 8th level is perfect
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank blingdawg82
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

For my fifth trip to Trinidad (3rd Carnival), I decided to do things a bit differently. I've previously stayed at the biggest competitor to this hotel (the Hyatt Regency) and wanted to try something new. During Carnival 2011, Bliss had their costume pickup at The Carlton Savannah. I recall being impressed with its beautiful colors and intimate location, so I decided to make this my destination for Carnival 2012.

I think The Carlton Savannah (TCS for short) may be the first (only?) boutique hotel on the entire island of Trinidad. I love boutique hotels. They tend to be funky and unique, having a lot more character than larger hotels. TCS was no different. The colors were bright, lively and energetic. The staff was attentive and - oh gosh! - de female staff SWEET!!! I know its probably not correct to say that, but there were many beautiful women on staff, and for a single guy, this is important to note. The pool was gorgeous. The view from the roof is awesome, especially at dusk AND the rooftop bartender knows how to make LLB! I've missed those since my first trip to Trinidad in 2006 so it was an especially welcome treat.

In my room, the toilet was the most interesting contraption I've encountered in any of my travels but once I figured it out (with some staff help), all was well. The room itself was very spacious. While I like the size of the rooms at the Hyatt, the room at TCS made my rooms at the Hyatt feel small. I was amazed at the spaciousness of the room.

The hotel's location is great for those who don't mind walking. I find PoS to be pretty walkable in general and not just because I've played mas in its streets. TCS is just north of the QPS, heading toward Cascade. On Carnival Monday and Tuesday, the walk to see the bands took about 20 minutes.

There were downsides. As one other commenter mentioned, some service was uneven. For example, when I first arrived, there were a few items missing that I was expecting to see - such as hand towels - and this continued throughout my stay. It became an interesting game to see which small item would make an appearance and which would disappear. However, nothing abhorrent or absurd was missing. When something was required, the staff provided in a timely fashion.

The menus were a bit limited for my tastes, but I get that. Unfortunately, hotels catering to
tourists tend to have menus that reflect the tastes of the guests a lot more strongly than they might otherwise. Again, I don't find this a problem generally but its worth noting.

The view from the roof was astounding, especially at night. I'd love to attend an event on the roof, maybe an intimate, private engagement, or to throw one myself.

All in all, I rate TCS a success! Deciding between TCS and the Hyatt - where I'm mere inches from platinum status - will be difficult. Getting into American Express' Fine Hotels & Resorts program would definitely seal the deal for me.

If you want to be close enough to d Savannah that you can still make it across d stage if you have a late night on Carnival Monday, with an overall great experience and staff, The Carlton Savannah is an obvious choice.

Room Tip: Request pool side for a better view. Being right up against the mountain meant one side was a lot mo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends