This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel on business and if I was picking the place to stay it wouldn't be here. The good thing I can say about the room that I had was that it was clean and neat. Unfortunately, for a business hotel it is not very well designed for business travelers.
For example, the desk outlets are completely taken up by the TV and cable boxes so you have no plugs for a laptop. The only open plug is on the opposite side of the room near the bed. And the internet connection (though free) is extremely slow. The room had windows on a door to a terrace which I never used because it is not screened and only looks out to the parking lot. Since the window is not covered (it's high enough so no one can really see in or out), light was constantly streaming in to the room from the parking lot. Eyeshades are required here if you want to be in dark room to sleep.
Also the staff constantly keeps the outside door to the building open allowing bugs and mosquitos to populate the halls and easily enter the room as you are going in for the night. I received two mosquito bites as a result.
The construction of the rooms is not really high quality. No caulking or moldings to separate the wall tile from floor tile in the bathroom - just a crack or open seam. Since this is a historic property there are no elevators so carrying bags up the stairs can literally be a pain.
The front desk staff was less than cheery.
The bright spot is the restaurant Ciao (not the Cafe which I avoided). The service was excellent, the attention to the quality of the food was great and everything I ate was tasty and cheerfully delivered. I'm on a diet and they were very sensitive to that. Every meal was a fabulous experience.
Overall not the worst hotel I've ever stayed at but it is not the most comfortable experience either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set between the rain forest and Queen’s Park Savannah, Hotel Normandie features 70 rooms, 6 meeting and conference rooms, an outdoor swimming pool and bright, attractive accommodation. Just 1 Km from the Savannah and 3 Km from Ariapita Avenue, at the end of The Nook Normandie manages to relax you with its tranquil surroundings. Each stylish, air-conditioned room and suite at The Normandie has colourful décor and includes a coffee/tea station, cable TV, and complimentary Wi-Fi; some of the rooms include a refrigerator. The Normandie also has a restaurant that offers a continental/international breakfast and an Italian flavour for lunch and dinner, a 24-hr front office, 24-hr security, complimentary parking, a concierge, a spa, and provides a tour desk and the only pilates studio in Trinidad through our in-house partners, Island Experiences and Madeleine Miller Pilates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Normandie Hotel And Conference Centre
- The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre Trinidad/Port Of Spain