New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre

The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Longwood, Florida
“Excellent Restaurant but Hotel Needs Some Work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel on business and if I was picking the place to stay it wouldn't be here. The good thing I can say about the room that I had was that it was clean and neat. Unfortunately, for a business hotel it is not very well designed for business travelers.

For example, the desk outlets are completely taken up by the TV and cable boxes so you have no plugs for a laptop. The only open plug is on the opposite side of the room near the bed. And the internet connection (though free) is extremely slow. The room had windows on a door to a terrace which I never used because it is not screened and only looks out to the parking lot. Since the window is not covered (it's high enough so no one can really see in or out), light was constantly streaming in to the room from the parking lot. Eyeshades are required here if you want to be in dark room to sleep.

Also the staff constantly keeps the outside door to the building open allowing bugs and mosquitos to populate the halls and easily enter the room as you are going in for the night. I received two mosquito bites as a result.

The construction of the rooms is not really high quality. No caulking or moldings to separate the wall tile from floor tile in the bathroom - just a crack or open seam. Since this is a historic property there are no elevators so carrying bags up the stairs can literally be a pain.

The front desk staff was less than cheery.

The bright spot is the restaurant Ciao (not the Cafe which I avoided). The service was excellent, the attention to the quality of the food was great and everything I ate was tasty and cheerfully delivered. I'm on a diet and they were very sensitive to that. Every meal was a fabulous experience.

Overall not the worst hotel I've ever stayed at but it is not the most comfortable experience either.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Longwood Traveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

The Normandie Hotel is quite and relaxing and complimentary buffet breakfast was really nice. The only thing is that when you are staying here i would advise you walk will all your neccessities because there isn't any place open late at nite to purchase anything. Howere there isa Hi Lo grocery close by but it closes around 8pm. There are no cooks in the night and I honestly think the complimentary coffee provided in the room is limited. Cleaniness is good and i was very happy that none of my things went missing when room service passed though when I went for breakfast. The pool is amazing and service I experienced a small hiccup when I requested a late check out which was agreed upon the reservation and the message was not communicated when shifts were changed so be sure to confirm and confrim again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Viddhisama
Longwood, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights while on business and I would overall give the hotel somewhat mixed reviews. First, I must caveat this by saying I arrived with a vicious cold so getting any kind of normal sleep was out of the question so not having a great night's sleep was not totally the fault of the hotel. But the bed was hard and the pillows were medium hard.

When I arrived and pulled the covers off the bed I managed to kill a spider that I found crawling on the bed. That left a blood spot on the bed and I wasn't in the mood to deal with that so I called the front desk. They were extremely helpful. They told me that I could have the room across the hall but they also gave me the option to inspect it first to see if it was to my liking before I moved. It was - so I did.

The other thing that disturb my sleep was the loud window unit air conditioner (that unfortunately is not well sealed into the window so any number of bugs could enter the room). And, the guy who ran the leaf blower very early in the morning didn't help either.

The room was spacious and had all the useful amenities such as free internet access, cable tv, a reasonably sized armoire and drawers to stow clothes, room safe and fairly modern decor (i.e. minimalist). The room was clean. Tile floors make for cooler rooms in the Caribbean and these were nicely tiled. The paint was peeling off the walls near the window though and a pile of paint chips literally just dropped to the floor one morning for no apparent reason aside from gravity taking over.

The bathroom was clean but water would initially come out rusty from the tap everyday and for some reason the Shower Head was not positioned right (and couldn't be moved) so the water spills out onto the tiled floor whether you like it or not. However, the bathroom was always spotlessly cleaned everyday and was not a closet - there was room to walk in there.

The food on the premises restaurant was excellent for dinner. The wait staff were friendly and accommodating to my dietary needs. Lunch and breakfast I was less impressed with but there was enough choice so I wasn't starving to death.

Service at all levels was excellent. Whenever something was not quite right (like when I was given 2 bottles of ginger ale with no bottle opener in the room) the staff was very quick in remedying the problem.

This is considered a historic property so that may account for some of the disjointedness of the hotel but I felt that the staff made every effort to make my stay as comfortable as possible and if I hadn't been feeling lousy the place may have looked better to me.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Longwood Traveler
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

We had a last minute mid week getaway at the Normandie, it was pleasant enough, but definitely not outstanding.

Aesthitically the hotel itself is quite pleasant and charming, especially the pool area which looked as though it was the recent recipient of some new wicker furniture in a cute pink/purple colour scheme. The service is standard, really neither an individual nor an incident really stood out. Our ground floor room was decent enough, and came equipped with cable tv, an iron, hair dryer, teas and instant coffee, standard desk and chair, a comfortable enough bed and access to a well serviced ice machine. One thing I did not appreciate was a lack of a bathroom shelf, which looked like it was supposed to be a "plank" of glass running over the sink area...the brackets were there, but the shelf missing. This meant our toiletries were scattered wherever they could fit in the room, which by itself was such a nuisance.

There was a family with a young child/baby staying as well on the first floor, the exemplar acoustics of the hotel layout meant that whenever we ventured outside/left the door open we were assaulted by this apparently colicky baby who cried for most of the evening. This was minor to us as we pretty much stayed in, but I cant imagine it being too pleasant for other guests in closer proximity. The rooms should be able to handle that sort of sound level without disruption to other guests.

The continental breakfast included in our package was served in a weary looking dining area, and was quite basic. Toast, croissants, jam, butter, cereal and some sparse fruit was included in the spread. It was also unfortunate that we had to munch while hearing some wait staff complain about the management of the hotel. I sympathised with their plight but really didnt want to be in earshot about such gossip while on my vacation.

We normally dine at the adjacent Vidalia/Ciao restaurant, who offers very good cuisine at reasonable prices, but opted to skip on this trip.

Altogether an ok experience, but really not one I'd like to repeat.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hamilton, Bermuda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I was here for three nights to attend a on-premises conference so travel time each day was zero. The check-in process was fine and the room was nice and comfortable -until the sun came up! The bed was good and I slept well every night. I had an old style TV but it worked well enough. The shower had good hot water at all times. I liked the wood floors but some may think carpet is nicer. All in all, the room rated 3.5 stars and it had an iron, ironing board and coffee maker which at this level of hotel is a rarity. There was a small refrigerator as well. On the down side, no bottled water was available in the room. I find this is unforgivable in a tropical climate. The is a major grocery only ten minutes walk but the hotel should at least provide one bottle in the room. The internet was fast most of the time.

The air-conditioner turned out, as is common in many Caribbean hotels, to be the weak point. Once the day warmed it could not keep the room at any lower than 80-85 degrees. Outside was a scorching 91. On the last day of the conference, the air conditioner in the conference room gave up and we suffered in the heat for several hours.

Part of the complex includes a number of shops and the dining areas which proved to be adequate, although arranged in a confusing manner. It appears that someone tried to create a shopping mall and dining experience in a multilevel, congested environment. It did not work for me but the food was mostly good. There were local dishes which is always a big plus in my book.

The location is in the north part of Port of Spain adjacent to the Prime Minister's residence. The area appears safe although the area is a bit run down. There is plenty of parking. (I guess you would need a rental car because there is not much in the area).

I did take advantage of the pool and here again the design suffers. The rooms and the conference/shops/dining building completely surround the pool. This is fine unless it is hot - there are no breezes to cool the area.

The check-out was efficient but one of my colleagues had a problem with the bill due to a lack of communication on his rate.

I would stay at the property again if business I needed to conduct was in the area. The hotel is very safe and secluded if you want to be near POS but not in the city.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kellbert
trinidad and tobago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

i stayed at the hotel as a guest of a wedding at this venue. The service was 3/10. The room was sleazy. To top things off, a close relative of the bride got their car broken into. The incident occurred after the wedding, the car was in a "secured" area with not more than 12 vehicles left in the car park. The wall was probably 15 feet high with razor wire on top. The only access gate to the outside was also closed. The assigned guard to the car park was "conveniently"nowhere in sight when the vehicle was discovered violated. The owner of the hotel claimed that this type of incident are on the rise at the hotel. I strongly would not recommend this hotel to anyone, since the hotel is not liable for any losses!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
10 Thank voice-of-tnt

Travellers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

East Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

In September 2009,I travelled to Trinidad for the first time on business.And could not believe this was the hotel I had seen in the pictures on the net! The reception area was run-down and depressing and the receptionist sullen and less than helpful. After almost 24 hours traveling,I felt like apologising to her for bothering her to check me in at 9. 00pm. I had to lug my own bags from the car and help the guy who helped me lug them upstairs to my room.The only friendly staff was a Caucasian guy in the Managers office.
The room was basic , rather worn out,but clean and water was hot.
If you can avoid the breakfast please do! I went once and opted out of all their meals! The linen and crokery was suspect,the waiters slow and unfriendly,bread rather old,and the pastires had ants walking all over them! I couldnt bring myself to drink the juice in that glass.
The view from the restaurant was peeling paint and grubby walls on one side
In summary,I was depressed and dissapointed and checked out earlier than intended.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business