“great value and kid friendly”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Me, my wife and kids (2) went and can’t wait to go back. The staff is friendly and courteous. We stayed in a 1 bed room suite that had a full kitchen and a pull out sleeper sofa. I guess all of the rooms are different since I think this is kind of like a time share place in that other people own the rooms and pay maintenance fees, but when they’re not there they rent them out. The room was nicely layed out and housekeeping comes once a day. The grounds are really well maintained. There is free wireless internet and they have a small library of movies at the front desk that you can borrow (free of charge).The property has a beachfront that was so uncrowded (compared to some of the other beach vacations we’ve been to) that at times there were only a few other people out there. The beach itself was pristine (not all rocky or seaweedy [beware of places that don’t show you a picture of their sand]) and the water was clear and perfect for snorkeling. Their pool was clean and nice and they had one restaurant on the property that had decent food. I suggest going to the store and getting some basic things to fill your refrigerator. They offer you a bike (with a basket) and the grocery store is maybe 2 miles away. We ended up renting a subcompact car for a few days (to explore the island) and the car companies will pick you up and drop you off from the lobby and the prices are really reasonable. There is also a stand alone casino next to the entrance of the resort. There are plenty of restaurants (some stand alone and others attached to nearby resorts) within walking distance of the resort, but in order to try a place like da Conch Shack (which I highly recommend) you will need a car. Overall, this was an excellent experience and very kid friendly.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank ZXD1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,020)

Reviewed 15 May 2011

April 30 – May 1, 2011

We have been going to Provo for many years. We have always stayed at the RWI, we have raved about the hotel to anyone that would listen, referred many friends and have looked forward to our visits year after year. I hate to say this but I think we are starting to fall out of love. For the first time ever we had a disappointing experience and found ourselves wondering if we would return to this resort again next year. We made our reservations months in advance. We have always requested and received a room on the third floor. I sent an email to the manager and the front desk to confirm our reservation a week in advance, identified myself as a return guest and reminded them of our request to be on the third floor. Upon check in we were assigned a room that was not on the floor we requested. I kept an open mind and went to the room. It was in the building that was as far away from the beach as you could get and did not have a view at all as the terrace was completely covered by greenery. I went back to the desk and asked if they had a room on the third floor and they said no. I asked if there would be any rooms available later on in the week that we could move to and they said no. I asked if it was possible for a return guest to be upgraded to a suite on the third floor and was told that they were sold out for the week.

On our second day at the hotel we woke up and found ants all over the kitchenette in our room. Ants were crawling in the sink, up the wall and in the cabinets. They were also inside the boxes of all of our dry food (cereal, crackers, cookies, etc.) We had to throw out all of the food that we had just purchased the day before about $56 worth. Our toilet was also clogged. I went to the front desk, told them what had happened and signed out a bike to go to the store to replace our food. When I returned housekeeping was in our room and had sprayed for the ants and unclogged the toilet. The odor from the bug spray was unpleasant and they managed to get it on some of the clothes we had hanging in our room. Later in the day we found a $50 gift certificate in our room for the hotel restaurant. While it was a nice gesture, we still had ants in our room for the entire week. We kept all of our food in the refrigerator but it was so annoying to open our cabinets and find ants crawling on all of the plates, inside the drawers on the utensils and inside the sink. We had to wash the dishes before and after every use. I wasn’t crazy about asking them to spray again because I did not want to deal with the odor and who knows what kinds of chemicals they were using.

My brand new bathing suit got ruined after sitting on the edge of the pool. Apparently there was some chlorine that was left on the ledge of the pool. My black suit now has white spots across the back.

Finally, I was most disappointed when I was in the lobby the day before we left and asked if I could print my boarding pass. They said no because they did not have a printer. I was willing to pay for this and they still said no. I have never in any of my travels in any hotel ever been told that I could not print out a boarding pass.

I understand that this is not a high end resort. I have always been happy staying here and have liked the understated casual feel of this property. I have never had unreasonable expectations. I do not think it is unreasonable to get a room on the floor you requested, without ants, with chlorine in the pool, not on the edge where people sit and I should have received the courtesy of being able to print out a boarding pass. Sorry to say, this time they just blew it and it may have cost them a very loyal customer. Of course I would certainly return to Provo in a heart beat. While my love affair with the RWI may be over, I have fallen deeper in love with Grace Bay.

8  Thank lisagee
Reviewed 15 May 2011

This is our second stay at RWI. As another reviewer stated, this is a no frills hotel. But it is clean and the rooms are nice-albeit dated. It was perfect for us but if you are looking for luxury, this is not the place for you.
We rented a car through Grace Bay Car Rentals-they were waiting for us as we exited the airport. They took us right to the car and after a few simple instructions, we were off. It did take my husband a few minutes to get used to driving on the other side from the US, but all went well. I liked having a car to do grocery store trips and go to restaurants that are not near the hotel. I would recommend this car rental place!
We checked in on Sunday and the porter took our bags to the room. Check in was quick and efficient. I was a bit disappointed that our room was so dated-but quickly changed my mind after I thought about how little I would actually be in the room. We had a botanical suite and as the other reviewers pointed out, the gardens/grounds are gorgeous. We were a short walk to Grace Bay Beach-and wow-what a beach-absolutely beautiful. Towels at the beach are few and far between-we sometimes had to hunt down someone to provide us a towel-I would take one or two from home if you can fit them. There's a washer/dryer so you can clean the one from home as needed.
Everything in the studio was functioning and clean-nice tv-kitchen appliances/coffee maker all good. They leave you dish soap, washer detergent and plates/dishes etc.
My only complaint is the towels used for the shower/bathroom were very threadbare and dingy white. They need to update the towels. But that is a minor complaint!
We ate the first night at Pelican Bay-was good-they had the best french fries!!
Spent all six of our days on the beach relaxing -did not take any tours.
We ate breakfast and lunch in our room-went to Graceway Gourmet which is close to the resort. I don't think it is close enough to walk to and haul back a lot of groceries though. But small trips maybe. Ate out dinner every night-Caicos Cafe, Seven, Pizza Pizza, Hemmingways and Mango Reef. All good restaurants-no food complaints. Dinner usually ran about $125 for two with one glass of wine for each of us. Except for Seven which was a lot pricier but we opted for a bottle of wine there -the food alone was around $160
We did stop at the Casino one night-yikes-my recommendation is to avoid this unless you are a hard core gambler. We just wanted to go for something to do at night . My husband got wanded and I had a purse search before we went in which I understand. But the place is small and stinky. We played $20 in slots and left.
At the RWI, there is a 'quiet area' pool which is really nice. The problem is-parents with children ignored the quiet sign and let the children swim in that pool and scream and holler. I'm not sure why-there is another larger pool which a lot of kids were at. I found it a bit strange but since it wasn't actually 'quiet'-we didn't really go there much.
Housekeeping was great-we did tip every day but I don't think that mattered. Room was kept clean.
I would have no problem going back here but think I would opt for a one bedroom next time. We were happy with the resort and even happier that we can go to TCI and afford it thanks to the RWI. Some of the other resorts are way out of our price range!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Benny521
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I picked Royal West Indies Resort (RWI) after doing a lot of research on Trip Advisor. The resort far exceeded my expectations. We stayed at the RWI April 14 - 19, just after their winter rates dropped.

- Service/Staff: The service was great (friendly staff), very accommodating in arranging reservations, calling for taxi, directions to the destinations, excellent recommendations. the bell-hop always had an amazing attitude. The staff did not know where our Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints/Mormon) was located on the Island, but our taxi driver did know where it was located. We highly recommend you ask for clayton as your taxi driver - he has a great attitude and was an awesome driver. He was honest, friendly and we began requesting him whenever we needed a ride!

- Resort/Room: Far exceeded our expectations. Very clean - felt like it was new. Washer and Dryer in the room (with laundry soap). Full size refrigerator, microwave, balcony (we stayed in room 338) with a view of the ocean and overlooking the pool/bar area). The room was kept clean every day by the staff. The AC and fan worked perfectly. Flat screen TV with Cable channels. The room had a small safe, which we used for our valuables... The room had free internet, that worked pretty well... The grounds are in beautiful shape and very well maintained, with beautiful flowers and landscaping. The beds were comfortable and very clean. There were a few very small sugar ants that we saw every now and then, but what do you expect when you are on and island and have food out? Overall, the room was excellent, quiet, and couldn't ask for more.

- The Beach/Location: Location, Location, Location. This was in the perfect spot on Grace Bay. There was a family atmosphere and no party scene or loud people like the Club Med Scene next door. The atmosphere is very relaxing, plenty of beach chairs and umbrella's, the staff at the beach were johnny on the spot to get us whatever we needed! The sand is incredible. The water and sky are perfect. We had some folks give us their water rafts and we floated on the glass like water for hours, just drifting and relaxing. The resort has complimentary bikes, snorkle gear, kayaks, and hobie cats. We used the bikes to ride around the island and get groceries at the store. We used the hobie cat (the staff even took 30 minutes to take us out and show us how to navigate the water craft). There are plenty of activities at the water from excursions to parasailing to riding on banana tubes behind boats, to snorkling, to just relaxing on the beach and floating on the water for hours - which we did mostly.... Grace Bay Beach is incredible and the colors are amazing!

- Shopping/Dining: We walked to the store when we first arrived and wish we would have taken the bikes. The walk was a little further than we wanted, especially in the heat. Be prepared to pay high prices for food. We brought a lot of snacks from home fortunately and ended up spending about $75-80 for food and bottled water for snacks, breaksfast food, lunches... There is a very nice little bakery around the corner from the resort on the main road (across the Casino). The desserts are great and they drop the prices every day around 5 PM. The staff here are very friendly and the desserts were very good.

Coco Bistro: Hands down the best dining experience! The food was amazing!! The service was great, the atmosphere was very nice in a coconut tree grove. We went there twice (you need reservations a few days in advance or plan on eating in their outdoor bar area). We had the curry/plantain cream soup (EXCELLENT), the shrimp, and the Mahi/Mahi. Wow!! Awesome - worth the price, outstanding!!!!

Mango Reef: Perfect View - right on the beach overlooking the ocean, nice entertainment, food was so so, and the service was horrible.

Hemingways: Perfect View on the beach - very good food (not as good as CoCo Bistro), good portions, great selection, the Conch Fritters were great, the Red Snapper was the best and the service was great. We went there twice as well. Be prepared to pay $10 -$12 for a taxi cab ride to and from Hemingways - easy walk along the beach back to the RWI. You also need an advanced reservation to eat here.

- Car Rental: We chose not to rent a car. The RWI had free bikes and we used the to bike around the island, window shop. I would recommend renting from Grace Bay Rentals and not the airport. We stopped into Grace Bay Rentals and the staff were very friendly and service seemed excellent.

- Activities: We didn't do many extra things, but had signed up to Snuba and do a 3 hour excursion to iquana island, snorkle for Conch, Conch salads, etc., but decided to just hang out and relax. Next time we go, we plan to snorkle and take some of the exursions offered. The RWI offers several excursions and have staff available to assist you.

Would we go again to PROVO - YES!!! Would we stay at RWI again - DEFINITELY!!! We felt that RWI was the best kept secret on the island and felt we got a steal. We talked with several other resort guests who are loyal RWI guests and keep coming back year after year to the RWI. We plan to do the same - we will be back to RWI.

Room Tip: Closer the ocean on 2nd or 3rd Floor for best view
12  Thank des104joy
Reviewed 6 May 2011

This is by the one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at but if there are a few things we didnt like about it. First off, the check in process was quick. It took us 5 min to get our room keys and the people there were more then happy to help us with our bags to our room. When we got to our room we were pretty disappointed with the view. We paid for the ocean view and all we got was a bunch of trees to look at and and a little view of the ocean. Dont get the ocean view. Save some money and get the garden view. Each building is angled away from the beach so its not even worth it. It was the slow season and the conciser said she would look into getting us on a higher floor and she never called us back.
The room was clean. No carpets. Nice patio furniture. Big king size beds. Lots of towels and your very own washer and dryer.
The location of this resort was good. Right on grace bay. Very calm blue waters. The guys there even help you get your umbrella and chairs too. The amenities included free use of all non motorized equipment. Even snorkeling gear but honestly theres nothing to look at.
The food at the hotel was pretty good. conch fridders were the best but all of the food is pricey. I think our hotel was the cheapest of all the restaurants. For a couple its going to run you atleast $100 a day and thats if your cheap. Do yourself a favor. Eat out only for dinner and go get the free bikes and go to the supermarket thats 10min away. Its a life saver.
In short, get the garden view. Go to the supermarket and buy food and enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Dont go for the ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cesar333
Reviewed 2 May 2011

This is our 5th trip to Providenciales, I did a lot of research on hotels because this is the first time we left the kids at home and just my husband I went, we have stayed at many amazing hotels on the island and decided to give this hotel a try,
1) On the website it lists the Amenities, Gym Spa etc. I understood that the tennis courts and Golf was off the premises but a hotel not to have a gym and Spa to me was unheard of I found the website very misleading. When I spoke to the Manager she was beyond rude, she said she would follow up with me but never did.
2) They need more bikes you have to sit and wait 30-60 min for one, there is not time limit.
3) The pool needs some updating, the kiddie pool combines with the adult pool, I have kids and I know the swim diapers that kids wear do not hold the pee this means that the adult pool was not sanitary to swim in. I snuck next door to The Grace Bay club for a swim.
4) The food at the hotel was horrible and over priced
5)I had to tip the Umbrella/beach workers to set up my chair or else I had to move it myself.
All in all there are some amazing hotels on the island and if you are going to Turks You should not stay at this hotel it is old and needs a lot of work
Rude staff and no gym.
Beach is great .

Room Tip: Do your research
6  Thank lonny18
Reviewed 1 May 2011

The Resort:
This verdant, lush resort is suggestive of the colonial Caribbean - you walk under palm tree arbors to emerge in tropical paradise. If you have young children, this is the perfect resort for you. If you are looking for peace and quiet, you should really look elsewhere. The resort abuts Club Med next door and trust me, the music never stops - especially at night. This is unfortunate because the resort really is situated on a beautiful beach - a glorious one, in fact.
The Room:
The room was beautifully appointed with lovely views. This is an incredible value. We visited friends at Turks & Caicos Club down the road - our friends paid the same for a one bedroom what we paid for a two bedroom. Turks & Caicos Club is lovely by the way - and blissfully quiet - but RWI had a much better beach and was better located if you decide not to rent a car (more on that below). T&C was also a bit isolated and there is a horrendous unfinished development next door that destroys the view.
The People:
These are some of the warmest, friendliest people we have encountered in the Caribbean. It reminded us of Barbados in tone and atmosphere. The staff appeared genuinely interested in making our stay pleasant, even when we weren't given the room we were reserved (which is a word of warning - we booked through Expedia and while the manager agreed to give us a complementary night for our troubles, we have yet to receive the credit, due in part to the management not taking care of the issue but made far worse by Expedia's ridiculous policies which are intended to do nothing but make the customer insane - BEWARE using Expedia! This is the second time we've had a problem reserving a room through Expedia, not receiving it, and Expedia basically saying it's not their problem).
The food:
Some of the best we've had in our travels. Standouts are Coyoba (next door to RWI) and the Lemon Cafe. Coco Bistro is the "hot" place but honestly we found the food and atmosphere better at the other two. Yes, this place is pricey. But this is a resort area. If you want Olive Garden, stay home. If you want a $15 bottle of wine, stop at the wine store on the Leeward Highway and pick one up and drink it in your room. You just need to budget appropriately (We spent about $400 a day for food for 3 people, which included occasional breakfasts but mostly lunch and dinner - we shopped at the grocery store and picked up snacks and drinks, which helped defray the food cost).
The dress code:
There is none, happily! This is where TCI has Barbados and Bermuda beat. Men wore shorts and flip flops to dinner - even in the nice places. Summer dresses, skirts and even pants were worn by most women. I didn't see high heels once during our stay. There is a very casual vibe that is wonderfully relaxing.
Renting a car:
I highly recommend renting a car. I heard a few complaints from some guests about the wait time for taxis and the fact they charge per person. I'm betting it costs the same amount at the end of the week (beware - a car rental for a small car will run around $500 for the week), but with a car you have the obvious advantage of doing what you want when you want - no waiting, no hassle. You also have access to a wider range of grocery stores as well as the discount wine store on Leeward Highway (which actually has great values and an incredible selection).

In sum, we would never go back during school vacation week. But we also saw quite a few very young children (not school age) and I think this resort attracts and is made for families with young children. RWI is an incredible value in that you get one of the nicest beaches on TCI in the center of where most of the restaurants are, with large rooms with full kitchens, laundry, etc. - at a much lower price than some of the fancier resorts (the high rises down the beach, by the way, are grossly out of place and offensive, in my view, to the surroundings). We will absolutely return to TCI - it is a perfect spot for a Caribbean vacation in an outstanding setting among islanders who genuinely appear to appreciate visitors and make them feel quite welcome.

Room Tip: Don't use Expedia!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family