We had stayed at The Somerset a year ago and what a difference a year makes! The resort has new management and it shows. The grounds look beautiful, the units are clean and in much better condition. The new manager was outside talking to guests, watching the staff and making sure everything was perfect. The staff was friendly, attentive and jumped to help when we needed anything. We ordered groceries to our villa before arrival and they delivered it to the refrigerator as we checked in - great feature!
The Somerset garden villas include all the features of a hotel resort, but each unit is like your own private home. We stayed in a garden villa because we wanted peace and quiet. The garden villas are a one minute walk to the beach and pool but because they are a minute walk away, they are more secluded and quiet.
The kitchens are large with all high end Viking appliances. The Kitchen Aid blender (and ice machine) was used multiple times a day for the kids virgin piña colada drinks! We ate at many of the surrounding restaurants - all walking distance from The Someset and also made a few meals in the villa. It was nice to have that option - especially with 4 kids. We had 4 teen girls with us - 2 of our own and 2 of their friends and they had a fabulous time. They learned how to use the paddle boards, took out the kayaks, used the snorkel and fins and went sailing with me on the Hobe sailboats. Being an avid sailor, the constant wind on Grace Bay is fantastic. All beach equipment use is free - unlike at other resorts. The girls went parasailing (outside vendor from the resort) and we all did a snorkle trip and tried snuba (great fun). We didn't rent a car but friends did and said that once they managed to remember to drive on the other side of the road, it was fine. They said they didn't use the car very much and we found that taking a taxi for the one or two times we needed one was sufficient. We rented bicycles and rode around. The island is pretty flat so a standard bicycle is sufficient.
The beach was as gorgeous as we had rembered and we spent many hours lounging by the pool. Even though we were there Presidents week and the resort was full, there were plenty of chairs and umbrellas and you didn't have to get up early to "reserve" one like at more crowded resorts.
It is a safe area and we had no problem letting the girls walk on the beach to other resorts and visit friends of theirs staying elsewhere. Two of the families came to visit and remarked how beautiful the Somerset was and how our villa was like a private home. Our villa was HUGE - 2700 sq feet with a porch and a balcony and was very tastefullly decorated and comfortable. iIt easily accommodated all of us very nicely.
Service was a bit slow at the pool bar and we were told it was owned by a third party and not the resort. We heard the resort is trying to get them to improve the service. They had a very nice Tuesday night Caribbean night bar-b-que on the beach. We ate dinner and had a few drinks and left the kids to hang out. They stayed late dancing at the bonfire to the DJ spinning tunes. They said it was a lot of fun. The kids had wished they had the bar-b-que a few more nights during the week as they are not into stuffy restaurants with 3 course meals.
We heard that the Somerset has added massage and spa services although we didn't use it during our stay. We saw young kids in their new kid club and the lady taking care of them was doing an amazing job.
The internet was spotty - but we were told a new antenna is being installed and they will soon have movies on demand. That will be a big hit with our teens!
The weather was about 80 degrees each day and we only had a 5 minute rain one afternoon.
With a 3 hour direct flight from NY, it makes this an easy destination.
We will definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 4.6 Acres of the world-famous Turks and Caicos beach, The Somerset on Grace Bay is an intimate luxury resort where couples and families alike enjoy treasured times together. The five-star resort features 53 one- to five-bedroom luxury villas ranging from 1,400 to 5,300 sq. Ft. Each with ample living, dining and entertaining spaces and gourmet kitchens equipped with Viking appliances. Two restaurants and bars, two freshwater pools, fitness center, full service spa with in-suite spa services, a range of activities on land and sea, complimentary Caicos Kids Club, and concierge services complement your family vacation, group getaway or romantic interlude. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, West Indies, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Travelocity.ca and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Somerset on Grace Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Somerset On Grace Bay Hotel Providenciales
- Somerset On Grace Bay Providenciales
- Somerset Grace Bay
- Somerset On Grace Bay Hotel
- The Somerset On Grace Bay Turks And Caicos/Providenciales