Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 16 March 2012

No hot water in the room for a whole day, bad service... just not good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank nronen
JacksonK, Asst. General Manager at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Thanks for taking the time-out to post a review on your recent stay with us at the Divi. We do apologize for the lack of hot water, as we were installing new circulating pumps throughout the resort. A few guests did alert us to the fact that their units hadn’t received hot water and the issue had been quickly resolved.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies and we’ll hopefully see you again here on St. Croix.

There are newer reviews for Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Time Share trade. Lovely view. A few things missing, and we reported them, but never fixed. Wouldn't have changed our opinion. Lovely place with beautiful views.

• Stayed: March 2012

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at our resort. The Villas of the resort are an exceptional portion of our property, and I apologize for the items that were missing from the unit that were not replaced.

However, it’s great to hear that the missing items didn’t mar your vacation stay, and that you enjoyed the resort. Thank you once again, and we hope to see you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I've just returned from a very good stay at this resort. I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering a St. Croix visit.

Other than a briefly unpleasant check-in experience that I'll explain below, I found the service to be friendly, food/drink to be of good quality, rooms to be good, and view/grounds to be great. Ultimately, I found the value exceptional.

I had reserved a Premium Oceanfront room and requested one as "west as possible" due to the comments made by others here. Of the handful of buildings that make up the beach resort, I was in the newest...and furthest away from the lobby. Considering all the food/drink I consumed, I needed the exercise. The walk was great to the pizza place and the minigolf course too, so I didn't mind the distance from the room to the lobby. The room was fresh and clean; when I first walked in, it smelled fresh and the air was crisp/cool. The bathroom was clean with plenty of fresh towels, and the room itself was in very good shape with a king size bed, a couch, and assorted tables/chairs. The room had a flatscreen TV with a good selection of channels, although I watched very little, if any TV. Beyond the room was a gorgeous balcony (I was on the 2nd floor, same floor as the lobby) with two lounge chairs and a small table that overlooked the beautiful sand/sea. I've seen poor comments/pictures provided by others, and had low expectations, but overall I was very pleased; I thought the room was clean/bright, featured modern decor and conveniences (a microwave oven and refrigerator in addition to the TV), and even had a fresh coat of paint on the walls/ceilings. I liked the hardwood floors (or hardwood-like...not sure if it was laminant) and the tile in the bathroom was fine. Air conditioner was awesome; it kept the room as cold and as dry as I needed it. And there were plenty of outlets to keep my gadgets powered (laptop, cell, Kindle, camera, etc.) Hot water was quickly hot and cold tap water was cold. I only had bottled water during my stay, but the water seemed/looked/smelled clean in the shower. Maid service was great; housekeepers were friendly in the hallways, and managed to sneak in/out while I was eating. One evening I found one of my pillows to be a little mildew'y and they promptly replaced it. The room was always super-clean each day and I thought they did a thorough job cleaning things on the daily visits. My room was also quiet...while there were others in my building, the only time I heard them was when I saw them in the outside walkways.

Based on reviews of the food here, I also didn't know what to expect. My expectations were low since it was an all-inclusive stay and I just assumed it'd be carb-heavy buffets with less-than-premium food the whole time. But I was definitely delighted by otherwise. There are 4 primary eateries: the upstairs Starlight, the downstairs Dockside, the Pizza place located on the western end of the property, and the snackbar inside the casino on the far north/eastern side of the property. Breakfast was served each day in the Starlight; it was a full buffet including staples like scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, sausage, and bacon. Assorted toast, bagels, breads, and croissants too. Along with different juices, that seemed to change a bit over my stay. Each morning they offered up something special; i.e. on one morning, they offered an omelet made with crab, lobster, and cheese. Food was self-service, but there was always staff looking to help or asking how things were. At lunchtime, the weather complicated things; sometimes they had lunch upstairs, sometimes downstairs. (It wasn't rainy while I was there but 2 days were exceptionally windy.) Lunch was buffet style...or you could order off a menu ala carte. Items included nachos, cheese sticks, coconut shrimp, chicken wings, and burgers. Whether from the buffet or ordered from the kitchen, I found all the food great with lots of different options. On some days I felt like eating "bad" and munched away on cheese sticks, burgers, and nachos, other days I ate healthier like grilled fish, soup, and a salad. For dinner options, there was a "main" event either at Dockside or Starlight, again dependent on weather (it was either or, both those places were never open at the same time while I was there), the Pizza place, or the Casino. For the "main" event, reservations were required for Lobster/Steak night, Caribbean Beach BBQ, and Prime Rib. The dinner menu had a good random offering, from fettuccine alfredo (that could have chicken or shrimp added) to fish wraps. I found all the food to be cooked great, taste great, and served hot/warm. The lobster/steak night was especially good; can't go wrong with a delicious lobster with butter and a juicy steak with a peppercorn sauce on the side! The Caribbean Beach BBQ featured some local delicacies for the daring, such as goat stew, but again, there were plenty of dishes for people with different tastes. The pizza place was a great treat; they made awesome cooked-to-order pizzas anyway you wanted it, with lots of different topping options. You could order slices, 12" pies, or 18" pies. Or delicious garlic knots. I'm a picky pizza eater and thought their pizzas were very, very good...and a nice way to mix up eating at the resort. They also put pizzas in take-out boxes...so if you wanted, you could store leftovers in your room and re-heat it in the microwave. Last was the casino venue, which got many poor ratings here. I've had some of the most delicious dinners I've ever had in casinos like Las Vegas but I knew this would be no Las Vegas venue. Again, maybe I set my expectations too low, but I thought the casino offered a great different dining option...with more casual fare treats like sandwiches/salads/wraps, chicken fingers, burgers, and more. The casino also had soup, deserts, and things like fresh fruit bowls...which I took advantage of. I wasn't expecting some fine dining experience there and maybe you shouldn't either; but if you want a casual dining experience different from the resort itself, the casino provided that diversion. Plus the casino was open late...to 4am, so if you were drinking late into the evening and played at the casino into the wee hours of the morning, the casino venue really hit the spot.

Drinks were great... and they generously poured throughout the resort. All mixed drinks were included...along with bottles of water, wine, and champagne if you opted not to simply order a glass. The bartenders were friendly and fairly fast...and when you were at a table, servers would be eager to have your drinks refilled at the bars. In the lobby building, drinks were served downstairs poolside during the afternoon...and depending where dinner was served (upstairs or downstairs), the downstairs bar would remain open or they'd shift to the upstairs bar. The pizza place had its own bar...and the casino served complimentary drinks to all players. In addition to mixed drinks, you could also get bottles/cans of other stuff too; at the casino, you could stock up on bottles of Powerade...or at the minigolf clubhouse, on cans of beer. Just flash your wrist band and you were all set. Some other all-inclusives charge for bottled/canned products...including water...and I was glad to see this wasn't the case here.

For fun, the beach was great...with plenty of room to stretch out and relax by yourself or with others. Each morning, around 9:30am, a tractor would go up/down the beach to rake up any sea grass that washed onto the beach. Crews would also be out from time to time to rake up the beaches. The beaches were clean....and the beach closest to the main pool was wide, clean, and open, free of any sea grass. Non-motorized toys for the surf were provided; there was never a wait for a kayak (1 or 2 passenger) ....and hotel staff were eager to help out with surf boards or snorkel gear to name a few. Inside the building, opposite the beach activity hut, was also a small gym; there were a few cardio machines and some weights for those that want to keep up their exercise routine when they're vacationing. During my stay, this room was always empty. But it was always clean and cool. Minigolf was fun; it's a nicely designed 18-hole course with plenty of challenges. My only complaint was they had the water featured turned off during my stay. But you could play as many times as you want; the minigolf was open 2p-8pm while I was there. And it was lit for early evening play. There were also tennis courts (I didn't use them and they were empty) and shuffleboard courts (which we did enjoy a couple games on). They have a beach volleyball net set up on the beach, although again, I never saw anyone play. Throughout the week, they did have random planned activities that you could sign up for (volleyball, nature hikes, etc.) but other than a "hole in one challenge" at the minigolf course, I didn't sign up for any.

People here gave bad reviews of the pool and I was again expecting the worst. But to my surprise, the main pool was fine. Yes, the pool could probably use a new plastering, and it was missing a few tiles here/there, but overall the pool was clean and clear...and I found it to be in no more disarray than comparable resorts in the U.S. mainland. The second pool, by the hillside villas, was nice too. It was a much more quiet scene there than by the main pool by the beach, but if you're looking to have a drink near a pool, you'll have to go to the main pool since there is no food/beverage service by the hillside villas.

For those needing an internet fix, there were two WiFi-equipped notebook PC's in the lobby to use. The WiFi signal was good in the lobby and the speed was good, but the lobby notebook PCs didn't always latch onto the signal for a decent length of time. The WiFi software the notebooks had was a bit wonky, so if you have your own WiFi device, I encourage you to use it...and bring it to the lobby. WiFi in my room was non-existent (that may be because I was so far away from the lobby), but when I was outside on my balcony, I had a fair signal with good speed.

Back to the casino: it's no Vegas mega-casino, but it's not a tiny cruise-ship mini-casino either. I found it to be a nice-sized, intimate gaming hall with plenty to do...with slot machines in different denominations...to a good mix of table games. I play blackjack, so I spent most of my time on one of their 3 BJ tables which offered $5 or $10 hands. Not exactly heavy-duty gambling with high-wager whales, but a nice way to spend the evening and interact with other locals and guests. The casino had live entertainment most evenings.

As far as entertainment back at the resort, there were a mix of performers and bands at the Pizza place and at the hotel lobby most evenings. The Caribbean Beach BBQ dinner had the biggest show, with local dancing ...and my favorite, stilt-walking dancers which were incredible to watch. They had karoake one night and some local artists every now and then, so for me, there was a decent amount of cultural fun injected into the stay without loud/booming performances to keep the resort up at night.

Guests at the hotel were an interesting mix of honeymooning couples, young families, to retired seniors. There was a decent amount of European visitors (maybe 30-40% were from Europe), the balance from the U.S. I'd say half of the guests were in their 20's/30's with the other half in their 50's/60's. Overall, everyone was in a relaxed, "chill" mood and the entire resort, guests included, were friendly and warm.

So positives: excellent location/great beach, friendly service, good food, good drink, great place to unwind and relax
The negatives: fairly isolated; if you want to do something that the resort doesn't offer, you need to taxi or rent a car to get away. Would love to see a strong WiFi signal everywhere...to make it easier to share photos/videos with family/friends back home.

As far as my single negative experience.... I had reserved two rooms including one for someone that had just returned from a military deployment days before. I had corresponded via email and talked on the phone with someone within their reservations office to inquire about a discount. Despite what was communicated (or mis-communicated as the case may be) on the phone and in email, the offending agent became hostile at check-in and rather than embrace a "oops, we may have made a mistake, we'll honor what you were lead to believe" feeling, we were surprised by a $150/night upcharge that the front desk team was unwilling to back-down on. Because we didn't feel like going into a fight during our first 15 minutes on resort grounds, we just rolled with the punches and dealt with the unexpected upcharge. It'd be nice if we got the unexpected difference back as credit towards a future stay, but I won't hold my breath.

Overall... if you're going to St. Croix, I think this is the best place + best value to go to.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms offer easy access to the main hall/lobby, western most building has the newest rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Michael_K_SNJ
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Divi Carina Bay, which, unfortunately, was very disappointing.

I will say the hotel was clean and fairly well kept although the first room we were given had a leak from the air conditioner above dripping onto the patio where the chairs and table were set-up making the patio unusable and the sliding door to the patio could not be locked.

The staff were pleasant and basically accommodating (although very slow).

The bad news...the food was not only very limited (basically, no seafood), but nothing was fresh - all pre-fab or frozen. You would never have known we were on a Caribbean island based on the menu. Chicken fingers and Ruben sandwiches is not what I expected on a beach! The four "restaurants" consisted of the outdoor beach bar, a sparsely decorated dining room, a pizza "hut" located in the parking lot, and a snack bar in the casino across the street. Slim pickings!! Additionally, the alcohol was definitely watered down - other guests made the same observation.

The other thing that was troublesome was that there were no fresh flowers. All flowers and plants in the lobby and dining room were plastic/silk. Again, not what I would expect on an island. It may sound trivial but it was indicative of the lack of detail and the scaled-down style of the resort.

Lastly, on the first day, the beach was an absolute mess with mountains of seaweed along the entire length. They did clean the beach on subsequent days.

I do not see a need to go back to St. Croix and would be very hesitant to go to any other Divi location.

Room Tip: Personally, I like ground floor walk-out rooms. These were right on the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MJM2Go
JacksonK, Asst. General Manager at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

As it’s close to a year’s time and investigating the details of your complaints are difficult to address accordingly, but nonetheless we look forward to and appreciate all commentary submitted to Trip Advisor …

…as an All-Inclusive property, we are well aware that foodservice is an element of the industry that can’t be ignored. We are constantly changing our menu selections in all outlets, to provide our clientele with a variety of choices within the outlets. Seafood is a staple on our menu and to say that all of our seafood is pre-packaged is a fallacy. We’ve collaborated with our Local Fishermen for years and they provide us with their fresh products on a daily basis consisting of Grouper, Mahi, Wahoo, Conch and of course Lobsters. There are periods when the catch may not be substantial, or a particular fish may be “out of season” and a frozen product may be utilized at that time.

Catering to a predominately American audience, it’s expected to provide food items reflective to such, which is why just about every restaurant on island offers Caribbean, Continental and International cuisines. After sampling the local Island Cuisine, many look forward to items they’re familiar with such as Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Philly Cheese Steak or any other “comfort food”.
We possess four dining outlets, with the Starlite Grille serving breakfast daily, Dockside Café (adjacent to the pool and beach) is also open 7 days a week, serving Lunch and Dinner while East End Pizza & More is open five nights a week. There’s also the Carina Café located at the Carina Bay Casino that’s also a popular spot to cure the late night munchies, and is open Sunday-Thursday from 10am to 4am and is also open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday. We’ve themed night dinners at the Starlite including Lobster Fridays and a new addition, Rok dining, where the guest actually “cooks” their entrée on a Lava Rock.

As for your mention of a lack of live flowers throughout the property, please note that we are located on the North-Eastern shorel, with the Caribbean Sea at our front door and the natural conditions of the environment of this portion of the island (dry/arid) does not allow for many tropical blooms, which would be found more readily available towards mid-island and the town of Frederiksted. Did you happen to walk the grounds of the property? Did you notice the three varieties of Frangipanis, or the Ginger Thomas, Bougainvillea, Desert Rose, Gardenia, or Clarissa? All are flowering trees and shrubs that can grow in this area. Did you notice the various palms trees? Coco Palm, Date Palms, Bismarck, Royal, Foxtails, Christmas, Pandanas, Spindle, Washingtonians, Areca, and Bottle Palms, or the thatch of rare Black Bamboo, Cardborad Ferns and proliferation of Almond Trees? We also feature an assortment of cacti ranging from Turk’s Head Cactus’,to Spanish Needle, Aloe Vera, and Prickly Pear.

In closing, we are constantly attempting to improve ourselves, to meet the goal of providing a Memorable Guest Experience for each of clients. In perusing many of the recent reviews on this site since your stay eight months ago, it’s obvious that we’re happy to say our efforts are coming to fruition.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

The ocean was gorgeous. The staff was very friendly. It was wonderful that the hotel had a casino. The rooms were ok but needed a little renovation. I had to have my room changed twice because of uncleanliness, broken door to beach, and no hot water. The 3rd room was perfect. I had a wonderful time after the room changes.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us, as we appreciate any and all feedback from our guests. We apologize for the difficulty experienced in regard to the room changes, but are happy that you selected one to your liking.

Thank you once again for the review, and we hope to have you as a visitor to St. Croix and the Divi Carina Bay Resort once again.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

OK, saw so many varying reviews, I had to post my first review. Just returned home today from a week stay.

We had a hillside villa. View was wonderful. Room was along line of a 1 bedroom apt with galley kitchen. We went to store first day and did breakfast and lunch in our room.

Only downside to Divi is location. It is beautiful and quiet/secluded,which is great. Problem is you need a rental car or $30 taxi from everything. We chose to taxi, as you cannot go to St. Croix without few drinks with meals, and I wasn't about to drive those roads with rum in me.

We felt the food was slightly below par, and expensive, especially breakfast. We were not "all inclusive" so had to pay. We were quoted meal price that was very salty.

Staff, taxis, and everyone we encountered was very friendly. Several good eats in Christiansted, as well as great conversation.

Buck island was fun, but personally thought little over rated.

All in all, cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Debitcred1
JacksonK, Asst General Manager at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for the review on your recent stay with us at the Divi Carina Bay Resort, and we’re happy to hear that we’re your first review on Trip Advisor.

After your initial arrival, we’re happy to see that room change was to your liking. The Villas are a great option for those wanting the sense and feel of an apartment, complete with cooking facilities to augment the cost of dining out throughout their stay.

Our All-Inclusive program offers our guests the option of having all of their meals at the resort, and it’s definitely a cost-saving factor when planning your excursion. Had we been made aware of any issues with food service during your stay, they would have been addressed immediately, as some of our clients simply want their meals “tweaked” in a particular fashion; especially those with particular dietary restrictions.

Yes, we are “off the beaten track” which is part of the property’s allure, as there’s probably nothing worse than a tremendous amount of noise from cars, trucks, or emergency vehicles intruding on one’s moment of sun-drenched bliss. Taxis’ can prove to be expensive, and bear in mind that taxi rates are regulated by the V.I. Govt and are based on your destination, and number of people in your party. Rental cars are great, as they allow you to be free and unencumbered to discover the island on your own…and a Jeep is the way to go!

We’re glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Divi Carina Bay and St. Croix, and look forward to your return visit next year, if not earlier!

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We got to the Virgin Islands after sixteen hours of flight and 2 layovers departing from Vegas. We live ½ ways between Los Angeles and Las Vegas so it’s a lot more fun to depart from than Los Angeles.
We drove up to the resort and noticed six black SUV’s and several MIB’s (Men in Black) with guns stationed around the one of the resorts outside restaurants. As we checked into the front desk the clerk told us that the Vice President of the United States was staying at the resort and not to be alarmed! At that moment I knew all the hours of getting there was worth it.
Our room opened to a terrace which leads straight out on to the white sandy beach and turquoise sea. Our suite was top notch and done in Caribbean blue, the floors were a beautiful light colored wood. It looked just like the website. The pools were crystal clear and warm. Since we were there in High Season I thought there would be screaming kids and no deck chairs, not true. The waitresses did rounds around the pool and onto the beach offering cool drinks. I also was happy to see the hotel had gone “Green” from the toiletries offered in the bathroom.
The beach, oh the beach! The sand was white with the texture of baby powder. You could tell the beach was groomed every morning from the tractors fresh made tracks. James and Terra popped out of the sea with conch shells and a huge live Starfish! We also found teeny crabs, you can see them in the pictures I took and posted here. We played in the some of the organized beach games. I won a $50.00 gift certificate to a jewelry store in town from The Crab Races (also pictured). There is a 5 star Dive shop for scuba diving, snorkeling, Kayaks and Water Tricycles. A driving range and mini golf course, even a human size chess set. We played in all of these and we took a Catamaran cruise to Buck Island. Horseback riding was a blast (pic’s posted) they let us run on that beautiful sandy beach.
New Year’s Eve Gala was awesome! It started with a Seafood Buffet with mounds and mounds of crab claws. The entertainment started at 9pm and went on till the last person could party no more or went over to the Divi Carina Casino. Just before midnight they passed around silver and black party hats, horns, noise makers and lei's. Everyone was either dancing with a partner (or several partners) or joined the Conga line! At midnight silver and black confetti and balloons fell from the ceiling. Champagne flowed into crystal glasses and everyone cheered as we welcomed in 2012, it was so exciting! It was by far the best New Year’s and vacation we ever had. A big thank you to The Divi Carina Resort & Casino!

Room Tip: Choose the new building!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Teresa H
JacksonK, Asst. General Manager at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for such a wonderful review of your Holiday Excursion to St. Croix and of course, the Divi Carina Bay Resort!

Having read the review, it’s apparent that you and the family were able to kick back, relax, and immerse yourselves into all that our resort and island had to offer! St. Croix is indeed an island of Superlatives and from your description of the varied activities, scenery and sea life…you saw it all!

As for our New Year’s Celebration…it was a PARTY! The champagne, balloon drop, live band and our great guests made it one of our BEST parties in my ten years at the resort! But remember, what happens on St. Croix, stays on St. Croix!

Thank you once again, and we look forward to seeing you and the Family again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
12.2 km away
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
24.1 km away
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!