All reviewsprivate islandferry ridemain islandfree for hotel guestsferry servicest croixwater ferrysmall storesmall islandchristiansted boardwalkbeach barbecuesmall kitchenettebar restaurantrestaurants and shopssea turtleshotel roomangry nates
Reviewed June 4, 2017

Our group of 4 couples just back from another 2 week golf trip to St. Croix, and we stayed again at the Hotel On The Cay. It was in even better condition that our previous trips, and the staff was still great too. It is a bit of a pain having to park on land and take the 600 ft ferry ride to get in and back, but it was worth the effort. It won't be our last trip there !

Room Tip: Almost all of the rooms have a view of the harbor or ocean,
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mikeslots
Reviewed June 1, 2017 via mobile

The beach and proximity to the boardwalk is great but this hotel needs a lot of help. I had read the reviews about the 80's furniture but I didn't expect the couch cushions to be ripped so that you could see the stuffing popping out. The beach foot wash was broken the whole time, our drapes didn't close all the way so I had to use my hair clip to close them and the icing on the cake was that they had issues with the water line so the toilets wouldn't flush for a few hours one day. On a positive note, the ferry captains were very friendly and so were most of the front desk staff. This place could be a jewel with some major renovations, however for the price we paid for a suite(almost $1,000 for 4 nights), I think it's overpriced and we won't return.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Jill09
HotelOnTheCay, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on the Cay, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2017

Dear Jill09,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel on the Cay. Our guest’s comments give us important feedback on our performance and provide us with great ideas on how to improve our service. Indeed it does sound like you overpaid by booking thru a third-party. By booking direct with the hotel we offer very attractive pricing along with the ability to provide us with room requests. We hope that we have the opportunity to see you again!

Reviewed June 1, 2017 via mobile

It was clean, comfortable, with a beautiful view. Yes, the hotel is a little outdated. While cares! You don't go to an island to stay in a room. Though the view from our room made it hard to leave.
The only qualms I had, I wish it would have had a stove, and there was a 100 dollar hold that I wasn't aware of, until we checked in.
The customer service was amazing! It actually freaked me out a little when house keeping did the dishes.
I would stay here again! Hell, if it had a stove I would live in that room.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kristina S

Dear Kristina S,
I am so pleased to know that you had such an enjoyable stay with us here at Hotel on the Cay. We love hearing that our valued staff provided personalized attention making your trip a memorable experience. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 20, 2017

Not impressed at all. I knew going in that this would be a typical outdated Caribbean hotel. However... Broken shower for the first 5 days of my stay. A/C didn't work last 3 days of my stay. Internet was very bad. Resturant staff were crooks. Basically had to chase them down to get your change from the bill every time (when paying with cash). The walls are thin as paper. You can hear everything from the units above and on the sides real loud. Hotel staff lazy and non accommodating. With all these room problems, never was I offered a new room or refund. Just excuses. There are much better options in the area for same rate or less. Canceled the BBQ 3 weeks in a row due to lack of reservations. However, over 35 people tried to cross over on the ferry from what the boat captains were saying. Hotel nickel and dimes you bad. Had a friend from other hotel stop by for a drink before going out and got charged $5 bucks. And ... Tried charging me to use beach chair even though I am staying at hotel. I give it only 1 stars for the location only. That's all it has going for itself.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Dave A
HotelOnTheCay, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on the Cay, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2017

Dear Dave A,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a subjective review about your recent stay at Hotel on the Cay. Our guest’s comments give us important feedback on our performance and provide us with great ideas on how to improve our service. Kindly post your comments about the independently owned and operated restaurant under their profile here on TA. We wish you the best in your local travels.

Reviewed May 16, 2017

We did not stay at the hotel, but we took the 3-minute ferry from the Boardwalk on the main island over to the island that Hotel on the Cay is located on. It is $5 pp to go on the ferry. Once there you can rent chairs, umbrella's and/or a cabana. We rented 2 chairs at $5 each & a cabana for $20. You go outside & give your ticket to a guy that gets you what you paid for. Asks you where you want everything & he sets it all up for you.
The beach is very nice. The water is BEAUTIFUL here. For some reason prettier than on the main island side. We brought our snorkel gear. We were told where the snorkeling was. Headed out. Just as it started to really nice & we were seeing tons of fish, etc. we realized we were in a pretty strong current. We immediately headed back in. Wish they would have warned us about that. Glad we are not novice snorkelers. Especially after we learned then that just a couple weeks prior a man from WI drowned there when he was pulled out to sea. Very very sad. So, please please be warned & be careful when going over there to snorkel. If you want to just stand in the water in front of the beach with a margarita in your hand it is a perfect way to spend the day we learned.
There is a restaurant / bar there & once you are sitting on your chairs a very friendly local lady came & took our drink orders. When it was lunch time she brought us a menu. We wanted to eat up in the shade at a table. When she had us all set up there with the food she came & got us. Great service! And the food was very good. And cheap!
HIGHLY recommend spending the day at this beach. It was one of my favorite days of the 2 weeks we were on the island.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple