“Favorite Place on STX”

Salud Bistro
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Your hidden gem on St. Croix. Mediterranean-inspired bistro cuisine, Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, and revolutionary cocktails. Cozy bistro ambience, airconditioned, with plenty of parking in a convenient mid-island location. Named St. Croix's #1 Dining Destination!
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We love this place! We started w/mussels in a lemon sherry cream broth, with chirizo, which was amazing. My husband had the pumpkin and squash soup that was rich and creamy and nicely done and I had a salad of baby greens with a lemongrass vinaigrette. (Yum)

For entrees' he went with the osso bucco, which was served w/risotto. Hubby is an osso bucco lover and orders it EVERY TIME it is on a menu, so he knows his bucco. He said it was one of the best he has EVER had.The broth it was swimming in was truly decadent.

I had a dish of gnocchi, pumpkin, mushrooms and turnips. It was nicely done. We didn't have dessert, no place to put it. Had a bottle of wine, which we were allowed to walk out b/c we didn't finish it.

Service was impeccable, server was helpful and knowledgeable, the live music was great and we had a wonderful evening...all for about $130 + tip.
We will be back!

Reviewed 28 January 2012

One of the folks at our hotel (Palms at Pelican Cove) recommended Salud. We didn't get a lot of details at the time, and based on the exterior appearance (strip mall), we were expecting something that was the local equivalent of Applebee's. What we got was great service, fabulous food, creative (but not weird for the sake of being different) flavor combinations, and live music. The menu is Mediterranean-inspired (Italy, Spain) but incorporates spices from the Middle East (za'atar) and India (garam masala). The bread basket had homemade, still-warm foccacia. We had the mac & cheese with truffle oil (wow). It's listed as an appetizer, but would have been sufficient as a meal for me. The wine list looked great, but we hadn't had a local mojito yet, so when we saw that they had some variations listed, we had to try them. Between the 4 of us, we had a traditional mojito as well as the raspberry, passionfruit, and cucumber variations. We liked all of them, but the raspberry mojito was particularly good. For main courses, we had the locally caught tuna and the roasted half chicken. The tuna was perfectly cooked (at least for us - we asked for medium rare and got exactly that - not too raw, not overcooked). The reduction served with the chicken was delicious - rich, complex, a little spicy. We could have stopped at that point, but when the dessert list came out, we gave in and ordered the churros with thick hot chocolate (just like you get in Spain) and a slice of cheesecake with Frangelico-Caramel sauce. Our best meal on St Croix so far, and we will be back again before the week is out!

1  Thank MicheleJF
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We found this place on night 4 of a 5 day trip. It convinced us that there was some real potential in upscale food on the island. The staff were super, and the food delightful. I'll be back as soon as I can manage.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

First, I want to say that the service here is impeccable, second to none. Our waitress and bus person were both extremely helpful. The atmosphere is Mediterranean, and we went on a night where their Spanish wines were buy one bottle, get one free. I'm not big on white wine, but what we ordered was very good, and we got to take the second bottle with us when we left. The wine here is expensive, even the lower priced wines which is what we got - and it was $40 a bottle. This place is very pricey, but we found that all restaurants in St. Croix are somewhat pricey. Salud Bistro is at the top end of the price spectrum.

I am sure that many people would not have any issues with this restaurant, but I did. A warning to people with children - you are not likely to find anything on the menu that will appeal to a child. I suggest this be a restaurant for adults only. They serve things like mussels, octopus and lamb. I couldn't find anything on the dinner menu that sounded appetizing. The waitress suggested I look at the bar menu to see if there was anything there that I'd like. I ended up ordering seviche, which I later found out AFTER I ate it was raw mahi fish marinated in lime juice. It was served like a small salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and onions, with a chopped green herb which I think was basil. It was quite good, but had I known it was raw fish I likely wouldn't have ordered it. I also had the soup of the day which was a cream of celery with pureed potatoes and spinach. Everything was seasoned to perfection. My husband ordered the seafood special which was a tuna steak served on a bed of seasoned lentils. He cleaned his plate.

So why, do you ask, did I only give the restaurant 3 stars? It's because I could find very little on the menu which sounded appetizing. I don't like strange seafoods or meats like octopus or lamb. I was hoping for a filet of freshly caught saltwater fish served with rice and vegetables or something like that. There was nothing like this on the menu. It was all strange, chewy-type fish which I don't care for. I woke up that night with uncontrollable diarrhea, and had it for the rest of the trip. I don't know if it came from the raw fish or the cream of celery soup. And lastly, there were only two of us eating, and our bill was well over $100. I don't mind paying good money for fine dining, but there's got to be a larger, more appetizing menu. I don't think we will be eating here again.

2  Thank ssolawetz
Reviewed 7 January 2012

- We frequent you bistro often and have never been disapointed.
The service is awesome, the food is creative and delicious. Your wine selection is great and the mixed drinks are wonederful .One of our favorite restaurants on the Island.
Only problem is it can get very noisey.

3 friends on girls night out.