All reviewsrestaurant next doorchart houselaid backfull kitchenthe crow's nestbottle of rumyour feetown mealsbeach toysother guestsrented a carfew stepsbeautiful beachst croixgrocery storesandy pointcalm waters
Reviewed May 13, 2008

My intention of this review is not to repeat NorCTDnL 's review however, I do not know if it is because we are from the same area or if we were just both in search of the same thing, which we also found at Cottages.

I"ll preface my review by saying my husband and I have stayed at 5 star resorts down to 2 star huts in the mountains of Belize. We do not like all inclusives however, we realize that at times, they fit the needs we might require. We are 34 and 31 years old and professionals who also like to SCUBA dive. Our last trip before this was Disney, Aruba, then before that, Africa/South Africa within the past year. We do not yet have children.

OK, so with that out of the way (because I always wonder more about the people who write the reviews where I am entertaining staying than given in the bio's), Cottages was certainly all we were hoping for. Our room was also within 12 feet of the sand with a recently remodeled cottage, full kitchen and king sized bed. We were there for a wedding that took place next door at Sandcastle's and our stay was perfect.

The owner's son, Paul, even took us to the store to gather a few groceries as our rental car wasn't due to arrive until a few days after our arrival. Imagine. A hotel manager who offers to drive you around himself!

With that said, definitely rent a car. The food was some of the best I've had in the Carribbean and you 'll need a car to drive to the many excellent restaurants. We paid $175/night and with a trip to the liquor store, packed our full sized refrigerator with nice, cold beer! (ok, some milk and OJ too)

If you dive, the tripadvisor boards directed us to SCUBA dive shop and you can reserve a dive with them by heading to the Sandcastle pool bar to meet Steve. They are, by far, the best dive outfit we ever experienced. Hands down. Their equipment was in tip top shape and they pulled right up to the beach to get us.

Do not come here expecting Shutters in California. Do expect to relax, meet great people and yes, ask about the room types. Ruth helped me reserve the perfect one for us. Yes, some of them are in need of updating but they are in the process of many upgrades so just ask!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
6  Thank tallmelfiz
Reviewed April 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed April, 2008. We were looking for a down to earth, non-pretentious, but nice place to stay on a down to earth, non-pretentious Caribbean Island. Cottages by the Sea, and St. Croix fit the bill perfectly.

Our cottage was 12 feet from the sand. We could hear the gentle waves rolling as we went to sleep, and what wonderful thing to hear upon waking up!

Each cottage has a small kitchen, comfortable accomodations, and proximity to the water.

The staff is very attentive and geniunely interested in our experience. The cost was reasonable, considering beachfront location.

This is not an all inclusive resort! If you want all the bells, whistles, expense, and facilities that you may (or may not) actually use, then go to one of the major resort properties. If you want a clean, quiet, comfortable, well located property, where you are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself and your own itinerary and needs, this is the place for you!

It is located on the west side of St. Croix, near Frederiksted. The water and beaches are magnificent, and somewhat protected - not massive surf, but gentle waves. F'Sted is a pleasant town, in some neeed of revival. It's very quiet, with a handful of restaurants, not many shops, but a deligthful waterfront.

The main town on the island, Christiansted is about 35 minutes away, where there are more shops, restaurants, and tour-related facilities and providers. St. Croix is not St. Thomas. Don;t go there is you live to shop and want non-stop glitz and excitement.

I'd recommend Cottages to anyone. we will be back.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NorCTDnL
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I will start with the negative: my husband and I spent a week in the Coco Palm, which is one of the cottages that has not yet been renovated. That being said, the cottage was clean and comfortable, but definitely could use some work. The biggest problem I had was that the shower pressure was nonexistent. I had trouble getting the shampoo rinsed from my hair. Also, if we used the toaster and the microwave at the same time, it popped the breaker. Not a big deal to get that fixed, but it was kind of annoying.
Now for the positives, which far outweigh the negatives. This property is on one beautiful stretch of beach, for which you cannot beat the price on St. Croix. The staff is absolutely wonderful. Paul is so helpful and friendly, and the housekeeping ladies are very sweet and accomodating. The cottages are close to plenty of restaurants and shops, and despite the talk of crime in the area, we always felt at ease.
Also, it was convenient to have the Sandcastles restaurant right next door for those times when we just didn't feel like driving anywhere. The atmosphere is great, but in our experience the food was very inconsistent. Sometimes it was great (Sunday brunch!) and sometimes it was really subpar, especially for the price.
So in summary, the cottages are a great value on a beautiful stretch of beach with a fantastic staff. We would certainly stay at Cottages again!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HopeM
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We were making last minute reservations and I called them directly. I spoke with Mary who made every atempt to get the cottages booked for us. SUCCESS! They whole staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, regardless of the request. They made you feel like family.
The beach was perfect. Not too crowded and absolutely clear and clean. The facilities were very comfortable. My husband and child really enjoyed the kayak while I enjoyed snorkleing and lazing on the hammock during the evening hours.
It was quite warm naturally, but the waters were very cooling. At night, a cool shower helped as the AC took a while to cool the big cottage we were in. During the day, the breezes were great to cool off the rooms.
We rented a car for the day and had a wonderful time cruising the island which only took a few hours. We went through the rain forest, fed some pigs some beer (ask the locals!) and traveled into Christiansted for some shopping.
In Fredricksted, there are stores for shopping so that you can cook in your cottage, which is fully stocked with everything you would need to prepare meals. We ventured out some for dinners, but were not quite as impressed with downtown as we were with our resort. The restaurant next door serves great meals, but can get pricey. Breakfast was great!

I would certainly recommend this resort. I felt like a member of their family and would gladly return. The trip was well worth the money. Get a car for a day and do some traveling. The beaches and scenery are worth it!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank ivy9toes
Reviewed January 25, 2008

The staff is the best we have ever encountered. They are welcoming and accommodating. These cottages are only feet from the beach. The room was the cleanest I have ever stayed in. The price was an incredible value for what we got. We arrived Christmas Day in the evening, and hadn't thought about supper, so they arranged reservations at the Restaurant next door (best food on the island). The amenities make it feel like an inclusive resort, with the price of a comfy bed and breakfast. An outdoor grilling area, the full kitchen in the room, games and snorkel equipment to use anytime. The guests here are all repeat guests, once you stay here, you are hooked. They become like family over the course of a week.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple